Need clarification for the Korean dubs of Dragon Ball

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Need clarification for the Korean dubs of Dragon Ball

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Oct 26, 2022 12:01 pm

So, as some posters here know the Dragon Ball franchise has had several dubs in South Korea. Unlike the English dubs though, the Korean dubs share some cast members (only exception to this in English is the Vancouver cast being featured in both Funimation's first dubs and the later Westwood Media dub, and Brian Drummond's cameo in Super) because of broadcast rights fees.

Here's what I know of the various Korean dubs thus far:

Daewon Video Dub

Original 90s dub included:
  • Original Dragon Ball movies 1-3
  • Dragon Ball Z movies 1-6
  • Bardock TV special
2010s redub included:
  • Path to Power (first Korean dub aside from the Tooniverse dub)
  • Dragon Ball Z movies 1-14
  • Bardock TV special
Champ TV Dub
  • Original Dragon Ball episodes 1-153
  • Dragon Ball Z episodes 1-291
  • Dragon Ball GT episodes 1-64
SBS Dub
  • Original Dragon Ball episodes 1-153
  • Dragon Ball Z episodes 1-91
Tooniverse Dub
  • Dragon Ball Z episodes 107-291
  • Dragon Ball GT episodes 1-64
  • Path to Power
  • Dragon Ball Z movies 1-13
  • Resurrection F
Daewon Broadcasting Dub
  • Dragon Ball Kai episodes 1-167
  • Dragon Ball Super episodes 1-131
Interesting tidbits about Korean dubs:
  • Due to strict broadcasting standards regarding imported content all references to anything Japanese was cut from the Champ TV dub.
  • Only the Champ TV dub for all three of the original anime has been released on home video, and they were exclusively released on VHS.
  • A clip of the Champ TV dub of GT was however included on the special disc that came with the Japanese Dragon Box, marking the only time this dub has been legally available on DVD.
  • The SBS dub can also be heard on the special disc that came with the Japanese Dragon Box.
  • Only movies that have been released on VHS is the Daewon Video dub of the first 2 original Dragon Ball movies.
  • There is a VHS, which either contains one of the Korean dubs with an English lector or a lost Korean English dub for educational purposes. It is not known if this VHS was made commercially available or if it was distributed exclusively to schools, although the latter seems likely because so little is known about it.
  • The Tooniverse dub is uncut.
  • The SBS and Tooniverse dubs are based on revisions of the Japanese version.
  • The Champ TV dub aired on their own channel as well as the satellite channels Anione and Anibox.
  • Anione aired Dragon Ball Kai.
  • Champ TV, Anione and Anibox have aired Dragon Ball Super.
If I've got any details wrong please feel free to correct me, otherwise if there's anyone who can add anything please do so.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: