Broly is still going to be Broly.

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Broly is still going to be Broly.

Post by Dragmobot12 » Sat Nov 05, 2022 10:05 pm

So, my point is that Broly, who we all know and love from the Dragon Ball Z era, will indeed return, but in a different way.

I think that when Toriyama revises something into the main canon, he does it respectfully in line with the source material, like when he did Bardock, he did a different story with him in Minus, where everyone thought he was a completely different person compared to his special version.
But just a few years later we get more development of Bardock, which makes him exactly the same as he was in the special version, major aspects like his behavior and fighting style.

So the Bardock character has finally completed his development in Toriyama's canonical timeline, but what about Broly?

Broly was introduced in the special movie mainly as a villain, and not just a simple villain, he was a serious problem, he was really the most ruthless monster of the time, so for Toriyama to bring him back and make him a good guy doesn't seem quite logical to me.
I get that it's a different approach and all, but that doesn't mean his story is over with the 2018 movie. As I've written before, Toriyama, when it comes to re-imagining something, he does it so that the main factor that defines the characterization of the character stays there, so what I'm trying to say is that eventually Broly will become the Broly from the Z-Era we all know and love.

And the reason I believe that is because Broly's character is still in development, they still have a lot to show, and it should be something big, exciting, special.

Hear me out, if he's going to be a good guy and a Z-fighter along with Goku and Vegeta, that's BORING. It sounds boring and it feels so repetitive.

Look at Vegeta's situation, he started out as a bad guy, and he went through a lot before he became a good person. This makes even more sense to my theory, because now Broly is in that phase where he is learning, training, he is constantly moving toward the point where one day he will be able to control his full power.
And the stronger he gets, the more dangerous he becomes. I don't know exactly how he can become a villain, but if you watche "Super Hero," you could tell that Beerus is afraid of this guy, which makes you believe that other gods will be afraid of him as well.

He could get to the point where he realizes that everyone is afraid of him and his power, it might somehow start to form this rejected attitude in him, but there's also Cheelai and Lemo, who I think are the only ones Broly cares about now, this world is already too big for him, and I don't think he can't handle all this pressure on himself.
If Cheelai or Lemo dies, it could be bad for him and everyone, Broly could just snap , and then all hell would break loose.

But either way, I guess you see where I'm going with this. If this is really what Toriyama is up to, at least a little bit, then I think it might be the best character development since Vegeta's.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Broly is still going to be Broly.

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:38 pm

The current iteration of Broli is cute and only superficially related to the version written by Koyama Takao. Trying too hard to put Broli into conflict with Gokuu and friends just to recreate an unrelated dynamic is a very sketchy business. Broli should continue to be developed separately from the image of the 1990s depiction. His appeal now lies in his cute personality and growth into a realized person beyond his terribly upbringing.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

GokuHater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuHater » Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:51 am

No, not really.

There is no proof or reason to believe Toryiama is planning to make Broly his movie counterpart. Quite the opposite, the super movie is proof enough he decided to make the new version an entirely different character.
And also if you find the old version more interesting that's fine, I also see the appeal but majority of the fans also prefer the new Broly.
And don't forget Toei already made a callback to the old Broly in ToP.

Also the point about Bardock is not objectively true. Toryiama never decided or stated he is going back to the "old Bardock". Many years ago he stated he was a fan of the special and that's all.
Minus Bardock (but also super Broly and Granolah Bardock) are entirely different than the old Bardock.

Bardock is still a Saiyan who conquers and kills (as seen in Granolah but even Minus), apart from that though he is somewhat stoic, loves his wife and kids and for some unexplained reasons saves life's which he was tasked to end.

Old Bardock was nothing like Granolah Bardock.
Old Bardock was a jerk through and through. Didn't give a second thought about his sons. Didn't get a crap about lives of other creatures and his act of defying Freeza didn't make him good, this was just a rebellious last ditched effort albeit heroic.

Dragmobot12
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dragmobot12 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:38 am

JulieYBM wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:38 pm The current iteration of Broli is cute and only superficially related to the version written by Koyama Takao. Trying too hard to put Broli into conflict with Gokuu and friends just to recreate an unrelated dynamic is a very sketchy business. Broli should continue to be developed separately from the image of the 1990s depiction. His appeal now lies in his cute personality and growth into a realized person beyond his terribly upbringing.
So you're actually saying that he has to be there just to be there? Honestly, that doesn't bring any purpose to the character at all.
If this is indeed the case, then they are making the same mistake as with Tien, Yamcha, Piccolo, and Gohan.
I'm not saying he has to be a villain, more like an anti-villain, once so, like Black Adam, for example, to be a challenge to the gods. Maybe even set up Jiren's fight with Broly.

You see, leaving him a mild-mannered, snowflake-like fellow is not what this character deserves. It's Broly, after all.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:02 pm

The current Broly isn't a villain and never was made to look like one. He was a manipulated unstable good guy, who later on made friends. No way in hell is anyone turning him into a villain, not that kind of series. He might lose his temper again, but that's it.

What the character deserves is a spot at the main seats, too long has it been a Goku/Vegeta show.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:33 pm

Broly could've been a great addition in an arc like Granola's. Or at a tournament like the ToP. Even in the Moro arc, stepping up while we wait for the protagonists. And moving forward, Black Freeza vs FP Broly seems like the way to go. Personality-wise, he's fantastic, he's a shy nuke, and has a nice bond with his fellow saiyans, he's a protector as well.

There are plenty of more interesting things to do with him than just making him the bad guy. In fact, I cannot think of a more boring Z movie than original Broly's introduction. 70 minutes of the same button being pressed over and over again, yeah, no. Greener pastures for Broly, please.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:43 pm

Could Broly become a villain like his previous incarnation? I mean yeah, of course he could, but I certainly don't want that, most fans seem invested in his new character development leading to the possibility of him becoming a full-time protagonist, and Toriyama doesn't interested in repeating the premise of turning Broly into a villain (though tbf, what other direction he does have in mind is hard to say). When he rewatched the original Broly trilogy, he wanted to give a different interpretation of the character and story, so that's what we've gotten. The Broly we briefly see in Super Hero no longer bears any similarity to the Legendary Super Saiyan version. He's a different beast entirely, pun intended.

What would be ideal is him actually being used as a focal character rather than simply being there for the sake of being there, which I fear Super Hero might have set a bad precedent for.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:00 pm

Dragmobot12 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:38 amSo you're actually saying that he has to be there just to be there? Honestly, that doesn't bring any purpose to the character at all.
No, I said that trying to put him into conflict with Gokuu just to vainly recreate the dynamic Gokuu had with the Broli written by Koyama Takao is dumb.
Dragmobot12 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:38 amIf this is indeed the case, then they are making the same mistake as with Tien, Yamcha, Piccolo, and Gohan.
If you have a story to tell with Tenshinhan, Yamcha, Piccolo and Gohan you should tell it.
Dragmobot12 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:38 amI'm not saying he has to be a villain, more like an anti-villain, once so, like Black Adam, for example, to be a challenge to the gods. Maybe even set up Jiren's fight with Broly.
That would take a lot of work to just pull together out of nowhere, especially if you're looking to just completely revamp his personality. The next Broli story would be better off showing him rescuing Bah from a poacher or something and then building an arc for him from there. Comparing the core of appeal of this Broli—his cuteness and kindness—to Black Adam doesn't fit, especially if we're trying to build off of the mainstream depiction in the 2022 motion picture that is quite wooden.
Dragmobot12 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 11:38 amYou see, leaving him a mild-mannered, snowflake-like fellow is not what this character deserves. It's Broly, after all.
But why, though? If I wanted to drool over comically evil Broli I could just re-watch the two Yama'uchi Shigeyasu films or whatever Super Dragon Ball Heroes does with him. The appeal of the Dragon Ball Super Broli is that he's a cute, well-meaning bottom who suffers from PTSD but can overcome it eventually. It completely contrasts with Gokuu and Vegeta's characters and makes there actually be a dynamic. Furthermore, the gentle dynamic he has with Cheelai is another appeal to his character.
Koitsukai wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:33 pm Broly could've been a great addition in an arc like Granola's.
The scene kind of writes itself. Broli and Granola have a quite moment after Granola has a heated exchange with someone and Broli—completely without judgement—explains how he's been working through training and through his life with Cheelai and Lemo to grow stronger mentally and emotionally so that he doesn't lose control of his power like he used to.

God, I wish we'd gotten more scenes with Broli feeling like he was aware of his lack of control. As much as I love the latter half of Movie #20 there's no real idea of where Broli is heading next as a character or what his goals are. It's like a more entertaining versio of Man of Steel if simply because Nagamine Tatsuya and friends are all more talented than the crew of Man of Steel.
She/Her
bisexual milf

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:06 pm

I don't think Toriyama would completely reinvent the character of Broly just so he would go back to being something that ultimately wasn't his own idea.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

GatoF
Beyond Newbie

Post by GatoF » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:49 pm

DBS Broly is very similar to Kale personality-wise now that i think about it.
Although his Z counterpart was an extremely popular character he was very bland...A mentally traumatized berserker guy who only says Kakarot.
I agree Broly as a villain could have been cooler with the right background, one of the main weakness of dragon ball super anime to me is the lack of real villains, real bad guys, real threats with the exception of Zamasu. Freeza, Red Ribbon Army and Cell were nothing new.

Zekken

Post by Zekken » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:01 pm

Toriyama has already in super hero set up for broly to be in a very anticipated conflict down the line....
- Beerus loves Cheelai.
- BrolyXCheelai is bound to happen you just know it
-ergo Broly and Beerus fight.

Its a very Toriyama way to take characters fans would love see fight in a serious setting/reason but he just turns it around still making them fight but for a more silly fun reason.
Better to have tried and failed
rather than have done nothing at all

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:52 pm

Zekken wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:01 pm Toriyama has already in super hero set up for broly to be in a very anticipated conflict down the line....
- Beerus loves Cheelai.

Its a very Toriyama way to take characters fans would love see fight in a serious setting/reason but he just turns it around still making them fight but for a more silly fun reason.
Broli can lose and then Beers could be brutally murdered by Cheelai, who is revealed to be from a planet where people have naturally high ki. Then Broli could be a house husband and dad to his and Cheelai's kids while she travels across the multiverse defeating all other martial artists, too!
She/Her
bisexual milf

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:46 am

Super Broly is basically the current and only Broly.
Also, he fits into the continuity while the movies are clearly what if stories.

And we already have an original Broly, sort of, in Super. Kale.
The inspiration was clearly stated, to put in character that will emulate the fan favorite Broly.
Before they really brought him back in the movie.

I understand the fan confusion and personally, I am bummed that slots in video games today are not only taken by multiple Gokus, Vegetas but now even Brolys (and in some cases Gogetas and what not).
Which only adds to the confusion.

But with the video game example and as an nod to the post title, yes, Broly will still be Broly, that 90s one. That design and that characterization.
But he will never be part of the current story outside of his respective movies as we were introduced to Broly for 21st Century recently
and his story will follow.
I can't even imagine how could they bring back the original Broly... Like, hey, I am the monster who fought you somewhere during the Cell arc at that time, which is impossible to fit into the continuity and this Broly is a mirage from psycho waves that affected you from overusing super dragon balls.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Zekken

Post by Zekken » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:38 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:52 pm
Zekken wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:01 pm Toriyama has already in super hero set up for broly to be in a very anticipated conflict down the line....
- Beerus loves Cheelai.

Broli can lose and then Beers could be brutally murdered by Cheelai, who is revealed to be from a planet where people have naturally high ki. Then Broli could be a house husband and dad to his and Cheelai's kids while she travels across the multiverse defeating all other martial artists, too!
You know if you dont have anything of value to say then you shouldnt bother saying anything at all, aint conducive at all

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:55 pm

What??? Julie’s post is funny :)
Can’t handle a bit of humor?
It’s as relevant as any other post here, I would hate to be on message boards full of dry and dead serious farts.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:09 pm

Zekken wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:38 pm
- Beerus loves Cheelai.

You know if you dont have anything of value to say then you shouldnt bother saying anything at all, aint conducive at all
I was being entirely sincere in my expressing my desire for a story to focus on said female character in a position of focus as both a character and fighter. I do not believe that starting from a position of "Cheelai needs to be a trophy for Broli and Beers to fight over" is a serious position to start—or end—at.
She/Her
bisexual milf

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:41 pm

Yeah, Julie's post would be awesome if it came true, just to see Goku and Vegeta's face after Cheelai kills Beerus. We've been training and breaking our limits, mastering god and angel techniques, only to scratch the surface of his power, and she gets the job done? how?
I can see that Krusty reaction with the cigarette on the saiyans.

Also, what's with this narrative that Beerus is afraid of Broly? he freaked out for the same reason Goku mentioned earlier: Broly loses it and can, unintentionally, blow up the planet they are standing/living on. He even went ahead and tried to steal his gal.
I recall, when SH came out, people were even saying Beerus freaked out when Broly powered up.

Zekken

Post by Zekken » Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:59 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:09 pm
Zekken wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:38 pm

I was being entirely sincere in my expressing my desire for a story to focus on said female character in a position of focus as both a character and fighter. I do not believe that starting from a position of "Cheelai needs to be a trophy for Broli and Beers to fight over" is a serious position to start—or end—at.
You could've expressed that desire without that satirical example which only serve to mock mine. I simply extrapolated an outcome based on current evidence IN the story itself, never did I say undermining female characters is good or interesting, so yours is the only comment coming of as any ridicule rather than contributing to the discussion

I get it if discussing here for such a long time has made people offensive in their replies, but I still gotta call it out when I see it

Toxin45
Regular

Post by Toxin45 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:26 pm

GatoF wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:49 pm DBS Broly is very similar to Kale personality-wise now that i think about it.
Although his Z counterpart was an extremely popular character he was very bland...A mentally traumatized berserker guy who only says Kakarot.
I agree Broly as a villain could have been cooler with the right background, one of the main weakness of dragon ball super anime to me is the lack of real villains, real bad guys, real threats with the exception of Zamasu. Freeza, Red Ribbon Army and Cell were nothing new.
Moro and the heeters are there in manga

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:00 am

Is the "we all love" part that's a mistake. Broly was the most monodimensional (boring?) character ever in DB history.
This new rendition of the character is mostly like Inosuke from Kimetsu no Yaiba, and a bit more interesting. A savage fighter that doesn't completely understand the context. He could add a lot to the narrative and dynamic both of comedy and action, as long what "we all love" isn't watching megachad people punching straight each other for 70 minutes.
So to me changing NeoBroly to Ol'Broly will be a tragic mistake, a silly idea and MMA are now common stuff to see people punching each other in the groin for 70 minutes and no reason at all.
To finally have someone dumbest than Goku around is a relief.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.