What is ‘Time-Skip / Time-leap’ exactly?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Aim
Banned

What is ‘Time-Skip / Time-leap’ exactly?

Post by Aim » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:28 am

Heyyy, long time no see everyone.

Shower thought, well, couch thought; wtf is time-skip??

So I’ve thought about this and skipping through time seems weird to me for a few reasons,

1 - If one skips through time, how do they know where the location of the opponent is? As we can see when Hit does time-skip everything freezes around him.

2 - If Hit is skipping through time, how can Son Goku counter? Is that how time works? So time isn’t really laid out and following a sequence but it’s unfolding with no events that are meant to happen (basically destiny).

3 - Why does Hit disappear?

4 - Assuming Hit does actually skip into time, does this mean the technique can’t be used for too long because then his opponent would have moved quite a bit by then and he wouldn’t know the new location of the opponent??

Very confusing stuff, but I am determined to get to the bottom of it.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What is ‘Time-Skip / Time-leap’ exactly?

Post by Desassina » Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:13 am

It's like an online game's lag. Fighters see Hit skip through time, while everyone else appears frozen to him, as if they had done something before game time updated.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:01 pm

Desassina wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:13 am It's like an online game's lag. Fighters see Hit skip through time, while everyone else appears frozen to him, as if they had done something before game time updated.
But in online games the lagger doesn't disappear, and wouldn't that mean that it only works if the user is fast enough?

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:41 am

They do disappear. I'm talking about lag in terms of latency or high ping and not game performance. When you're the one who lags in an online game, you see the world and can interact with it much like Hit does in his pocket dimension, but the others see you stuck in place or by skipping between positions. They can still land a shot if they predict your line of movement, but you will have them killed before they know it, because game time will update with both of your actions. I wish I could find a video from the perspective of someone who lagged and the other way around to explain it.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:03 pm

Desassina wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:41 am They do disappear. I'm talking about lag in terms of latency or high ping and not game performance. When you're the one who lags in an online game, you see the world and can interact with it much like Hit does in his pocket dimension, but the others see you stuck in place or by skipping between positions. They can still land a shot if they predict your line of movement, but you will have them killed before they know it, because game time will update with both of your actions. I wish I could find a video from the perspective of someone who lagged and the other way around to explain it.
I think you've done a great job explaining it. Crystal clear.

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:18 am

Desassina wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:41 am They do disappear. I'm talking about lag in terms of latency or high ping and not game performance. When you're the one who lags in an online game, you see the world and can interact with it much like Hit does in his pocket dimension, but the others see you stuck in place or by skipping between positions. They can still land a shot if they predict your line of movement, but you will have them killed before they know it, because game time will update with both of your actions. I wish I could find a video from the perspective of someone who lagged and the other way around to explain it.
Could you maybe draw it with simple stick figures? Like, Hit disappears and lagging players just stay in one place, so I guess that’s the difference. But surely if the lag goes on long enough, if the one lagging keeps hitting the opponent for more than 3 seconds, the chances are is that opponent has already moved somewhere else, you get what I’m saying?

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:42 am

I will try to draw it, but the idea is that the world is split between times, like an online game that is sent to a client who does some action in it, while someone else in another part of the world is doing another, and both scenes are taken in by the server which updates the game to both of them. Here's the drawing:

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:03 pm

Aim wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:18 am
Could you maybe draw it with simple stick figures? Like, Hit disappears and lagging players just stay in one place, so I guess that’s the difference. But surely if the lag goes on long enough, if the one lagging keeps hitting the opponent for more than 3 seconds, the chances are is that opponent has already moved somewhere else, you get what I’m saying?
Have you never had lag come up in an online game while playing with others? Or watched a video where the image froze but the audio continued? What you were looking at seemed to stop and not move, but in reality things kept on moving.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Aim
Banned

Post by Aim » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:32 am

Desassina wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:42 am I will try to draw it, but the idea is that the world is split between times, like an online game that is sent to a client who does some action in it, while someone else in another part of the world is doing another, and both scenes are taken in by the server which updates the game to both of them. Here's the drawing:
Ahhh I see! So Hit still stays there! Thank you for that!

One more question, so if within that time frame Goku jumps up into the air, will Hit see that or will Goku still be frozen? For real life humans we obviously have to predict and make mistakes a lot, but I'm guessing Hit would have insane super human prediction as well with Son?

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:33 am

Aim wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:32 am
Desassina wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:42 am I will try to draw it, but the idea is that the world is split between times, like an online game that is sent to a client who does some action in it, while someone else in another part of the world is doing another, and both scenes are taken in by the server which updates the game to both of them. Here's the drawing:
Ahhh I see! So Hit still stays there! Thank you for that!

One more question, so if within that time frame Goku jumps up into the air, will Hit see that or will Goku still be frozen? For real life humans we obviously have to predict and make mistakes a lot, but I'm guessing Hit would have insane super human prediction as well with Son?
Hit would still see it. When Hit fights Kaioken x10 Blue Goku, he was capable of seeing Goku's body twitch when he was still in the middle of his Time Skip.

Desassina

Post by Desassina » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:02 am

Goku9001 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:33 am
Aim wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:32 am Ahhh I see! So Hit still stays there! Thank you for that!

Hit would still see it. When Hit fights Kaioken x10 Blue Goku, he was capable of seeing Goku's body twitch when he was still in the middle of his Time Skip.
That part could have been Goku breaking Hit's time skip, like he did in the manga, because he was too powerful for it, but the idea is that Hit doesn't see Goku react to his own twitch to use the time skip. Hit goes blindly expecting Goku to still be there. The anime did an excellent job to convey the idea when Goku was in base and SSB in my opinion.

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:06 am

Desassina wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:02 am
Goku9001 wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:33 am
Aim wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:32 am Ahhh I see! So Hit still stays there! Thank you for that!

That part could have been Goku breaking Hit's time skip, like he did in the manga, because he was too powerful for it, but the idea is that Hit doesn't see Goku react to his own twitch to use the time skip. Hit goes blindly expecting Goku to still be there. The anime did an excellent job to convey the idea when Goku was in base and SSB in my opinion.
I would definitely have to do more looking into it. That was just my default interpretation since we've seen instances where Hit's Time Skip was "shattered" and that didn't seem it. At the same time, your explanation would indeed explain why Hit couldn't read Dyspo's movements which is something I always felt was sort of odd.