Episode #0495 (11 December 2022)

We cover anything and everything Dragon Ball in hopes of enlightening... and a little bit of entertaining. Hosted every week by the Kanzenshuu staff and regular special guests from the professional and fandom communities. Your first, best, last, and only Dragon Ball podcast!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Episode #0495 (11 December 2022)

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:38 pm

:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Episode #0495 (11 December 2022)

Post by Cipher » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:19 pm

Re: “Why is Viz doing that?”

The inner dust jacket illustrations in the Japanese release always contain an illustration of the volume’s spine-art character, which Viz repositions to the back.

Unfortunately that means losing the actual back-cover illustrations from the Japanese release though (along with the under-the-dust-jacket alternate covers).

Also, I forgot to add the Trunks-Boo flashback to the post you referenced! I think I had that in mind while writing it, but spaced on it while typing.

Agreed on the super uncomfortable Monaito/armor scene; which I wish we’d gotten to it last time. I get what it meant to go for, but the execution feels pretty tone-deaf, and really rubbed me the wrong way on release. Every possible real-world parallel, which are very ready, is very bad. I enjoy the storyline, but that’s probably my biggest issue with it.

Re: Unneeded development: I meant, yeah. Hopefully this comes across even when I’m enthusiastic about it, but it is just “more Dragon Ball,” a follow-up to a series that ended just fine, for however fun or not fun that sounds to you—but if you can enjoy Super as its own series/the optional sequel it is, there’s plenty to enjoy with its own throughlines.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:15 am

Double-posting now that I’ve finished the episode. I have been censored by this just not coming up last episode, but I like the Granolah arc much more than Moro, so that’s one of the three for it out of the previous episode’s crew.

More interesting character beats, more character-driven, bolder with the choices it makes as a sequel, better action. Ken is right on the money when he talks about Moro feeling the most like a “traditional” Dragon Ball arc, but it’s almost so reverent to formula that it becomes a detriment for me—enjoyable in the moment, but the one arc I never really feel compelled to jump back to.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:03 pm

I won't pretend that this arc didn't bring some valuable things to the table. Ultra Ego is a cool concept that's also just tongue-in-cheek enough to feel in keeping with the other forms, Granolah vs. Vegeta is one of the better fights in the series, and there's some damn good character-driven stuff in that first half.

It's just a shame that the second half completely fell off a cliff; that 10-chapter stretch is probably the most repetitive/vapid experience I've ever had from mainline DB, which is unfortunate. My wife (who herself is an aspiring author and more casual DB fan) just recently read the whole arc for the first time and came to a lot of the same conclusions, so I'm doubtful that most complaints during its V Jump run are necessarily restricted to monthly reading. Her commentary on Gas tickled me – "This isn't even my final form!" was a constant takeaway of the character in general.

I'm glad some people enjoyed it, but also just really bummed that I couldn't. What could have been Super's best arc ended up easily being its worst, for me.