Does Piccolo have the second highest potential next to Gohan?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Does Piccolo have the second highest potential next to Gohan?

Post by Seekeroftruth » Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:02 am

https://youtu.be/JH63zBPrmYc

When Piccolo fought Goku, he was 3 years old and rivaled him in power.

When he fights Raditz he is 7 year old, he can output enough power to kill Raditz who has a power level of 1200.

1 year later, he boost his power to a level of an elite saiyan warrior.

1 year later he boost his power level to 1 million after fusing with Nails and is stronger than everyone in frieza's army bar the emperor himself and is roughly 10 years old at this time. Basically around the same age goku was when he started Dragon Ball.

He then went into the hyperbolic time chamber and at 11 years old is stronger that semi-perfect cell.

After than, Piccolo stagnates and shows little to no improvement during 7 year jump which some people believe may have been due to Kami's influence on him.

During DB Super, Piccolo begins showing increase strength after his humiliating defeat to Tagoma. At this time Piccolo is roughly the same age Goku was when he entered 23rd Budokai.

Piccolo undergoes serious training for next 8 months in preparation for U6 vs U7 arc. He is told by Goku that he is no match for a fatigued frost but is able to do well against him via strategy. His special beam cannon after sufficient charge is able to output more power than base Goku and Frost were able to in their match.

After this, the zamasu arc takes place which is followed by 1 year time jump. At this time, Zeno announces the tournament of power with Goku and friends having an exhibition match with Trio of dangers. Basil is weakest among the trio and seem to have powers comparable to that of Dabura. We then see that the much stronger Lavender was defeated by SSJ2 Son Gohan, who in turn lost to Piccolo when they were training for the tournament of power.

The DB Super: Broly takes place 7 years after the end of the majin buu saga. During this time Piccolo is roughly the same age as beginning of Z, Son Goku and has power comparable to that of Majin Buu.

In DB Super heroes, Piccolo after unlocking his potential can fight with Gamma 2, who was constructed to fight vegeta at the level of power he had during DB: Broly. It should be noted DB super heroes takes place 4 months after DB: Broly. When Piccolo turns into Orange Piccolo, he is able to completely overpower Gamma 2 in a fight who for the very least should be able to fight SSB Vegeta.

So orange Piccolo is suggested to be in UI/Ultra ego power. And this Piccolo is still relatively young being comparable in age to Son Goku at the start of DBZ.

Do you think Piccolo may have the 2nd highest potential among all other Z-senshi?

GatoF
Beyond Newbie

Re: Does Piccolo have the second highest potential next to Gohan?

Post by GatoF » Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:29 pm

All the saiyans have more potential than him thanks to the infinite number of transformations and zenkai boosts. Some like Goten and Trunks should never surpass him because of the lack of training though.
Uub also has more potential, he has a lot of hype for his inner strenght.
Piccolo is above Android 17 and the rest.

Geraldo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Geraldo » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:14 am

GatoF wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:29 pm All the saiyans have more potential than him thanks to the infinite number of transformations and zenkai boosts.
Not "all the Saiyans"; only those who are in the main cast and have been prominent in the Dragon Ball Z run.
GatoF wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:29 pm Piccolo is above Android 17 and the rest.
Also, if Toriyama had a standard of writing, there would have been no need nor chance of Android 17 becoming so powerful, as his natural potential is weak (I would say that without Dr. Gero's upgrades, Lapis and Lazuli were weaker than OG Yamcha), he was just some punk teenager (just like Android 18) wheh old man Gero outwitted and kidnapped them, and he hadn't done anything substantial to increase his power level like that.

I would have preferred that Goku would go see him, while recruiting for the Tournament of Power, help him against the Space Poachers, but when testing him, he'd stay in base, beat the living hell out of him as Android 17's skillset is very limited and was only a threat when he held the edge in power, and decline his recruitment ("Sorry, but you're not wielding the desired martial arts knowledge and despite being stronger than the Human Z-Fighters, their battle wisdom makes up for their lack of sufficient power levels").

Goku9001
Regular

Post by Goku9001 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:13 am

The way I view "potential" is that it's the ceiling of a fighter's power. Given what we know so far, Goku and Vegeta are presented with plenty of room to grow. Vegeta has hardly dabbled with any techniques derived from "Destruction" and still needs to refine his Ultra Ego. Goku was on the bottom of the totem pole with his ability to use Ultra Instinct and has just now started adjusting to using True Ultra Instinct. In contrast, we aren't really shown that Orange Piccolo could improve to an equal extent. He obtained all of that power through a wish to unlock his dormant power which was taken further beyond through Shenron.

At least in the case of Gohan, the anime clarified that his Buu Saga Ultimate power was just a sliver of his full potential. Through training, he immediately caught up to Blue Goku. With multiple statements confirming Gohan's dormant power, we have no reason to doubt it. In Piccolo's case, there's nothing other than a hasty power-up which may or may not leave him with much room to grow. That's not good enough for me.

There needs to be more to confirm whether or not his dormant power is up there. In the meantime, I would say Goku and Vegeta have more potential than him.

Lionel
I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:58 pm

My own interpretation of a fighter's strength is that it's one part mindset and what it is they've been exposed to that can prompt them into comprehending a new realm of strength. Piccolo was operating from a position of near parity with the strongest being on the planet during the 23rd tournament. After the events with Raditz his overall power increased rapidly but then so did the others; even Krillin went from 1500 (or 1770 if you consider the Daizenshuu) at the arrival of the main Saiyan invasion force to an estimated 75,000 (V-Jump's projection) by the Freeza arc. A jump of roughly 42 times what he initially trained for during the Saiyan arc.

Situational conditions seemed to give Piccolo a bit of an upsurge as well. Two fusions elevated his power from relatively unimportant levels to being a mainline asset against the antagonist of the arc for a time. His training with Goku in between Trunks' warning and the appearance of the cyborgs saw a rapid increase in his power to the point where an observer like Krillin was comparing it with a Super Saiyan's power, even if it was weaker overall.

I would argue that Piccolo has an impressive well-spring. The man is the Child of Katas reborn who was noted for his prodigious might and 'genius' potential. Next to the main Saiyans he may seem inadequate but given the right tools or opportunities he can push into their league and become a respectable asset; that's how I interpret Piccolo's potential.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:14 pm

His age doesn't matter at all since he's from a different species altogether. He was already a fully grown adult by the time of the Saiyan Saga.

Gohan doesn't even have the most potential, it's Goten and Trunks, and that's just among the Saiyans on Earth.
GatoF wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:29 pm All the saiyans have more potential than him thanks to the infinite number of transformations and zenkai boosts. Some like Goten and Trunks should never surpass him because of the lack of training though.
Agreed, except for how is 17 below Piccolo in potential?
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:40 pm

I'm just so glad that Piccolo is on the big league again. I have been waiting for that for like 25 years.

Hopefully he doesn't get left behind again after this.

GatoF
Beyond Newbie

Post by GatoF » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:09 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 4:14 pm His age doesn't matter at all since he's from a different species altogether. He was already a fully grown adult by the time of the Saiyan Saga.

Gohan doesn't even have the most potential, it's Goten and Trunks, and that's just among the Saiyans on Earth.
GatoF wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:29 pm All the saiyans have more potential than him thanks to the infinite number of transformations and zenkai boosts. Some like Goten and Trunks should never surpass him because of the lack of training though.
Agreed, except for how is 17 below Piccolo in potential?
I just can't see him surpassing the SSB tier easily, he may be on par with Ultimate Piccolo but Orange Piccolo tier shoud be too much.
Also he should never have the same hype as he got in ToP again, meaning he will kinda be a secondary z-fighter like in the Moro arc.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:42 pm

Almost certainly not.

Shenron performing the (specifically Namekian) ritual to unlock his potential may well have been his singular limit break moment.

We gotta remember that he's not a Saiyan who can consistently draw out more power from fighting intensely, becoming extremely emotional, and overcoming extreme hardships. He's a Namekian, and while his spiritual prowess is great, he doesn't have the Saiyans' natural tendencies towards power growth; hell, he doesn't even seem to have been capable of transformation naturally.

It's possible that Piccolo's been building this potential over his many years of training and fusing with Nail and Kami, but he's never had the correct trigger to actually bring it out until getting Shenron to do it. Hell, maybe Namekians specifically need the Namekian potential unlock.