Goku was smart in Dragon Ball manga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

super michael
Advanced Regular

Goku was smart in Dragon Ball manga

Post by super michael » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:22 am

During his adventures and training with his masters, he gained a lot of knowledge. Goku gained wisdom as he grew.

Here is a list of things Goku learned:

- Goku using his nose to find someone/something.
- Knowing the difference between male/female.
- How to count higher numbers.
- How to tell when someone lying.
- How to tell who is strong without fighting.
- When to kill and not to kill.
- How to keep a secret.
- Coming up with plan to find someone, revive and protect the earth.
- How to get others to help him.
- How to train properly and meditate.
- How to train others and teach them.
- How to be patient such as waiting to train with masters or ROSAT
- Knows when to take his battle serious and knows how to exploit character weakness.

Goku isn't perfect, there are times he is naive but that isn't bad. Goku in Dragon Ball manga was a great character.

Dr. Casey
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Goku was smart in Dragon Ball manga

Post by Dr. Casey » Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:44 pm

I'd say that Goku's intelligence is average (though this doesn't become obvious until he's an adult, he does genuinely come across a bit dim as a child), he just has a simple personality and always remained a bit abnormal due to his isolated childhood in the woods.
Princess Snake avatars courtesy of Kunzait, Chibi Goku avatar from Velasa.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:50 pm

Eh, those probably aren't the best examples of Goku's intelligence. Him learning how to count, how to smell people (?) and how to tell the differences between males and females isn't exactly encouraging, that's below pre-school level stuff and Goku was older than he looked at the time. Considering that Goku was at least educated to speak and understand the concept of the opposite sex, it's something he probably should've picked up on much quicker without resorting to crotch-patting.

One of the best decisions Toriyama made in early Dragon Ball was curbstomping the "Goku doesn't understand basic concepts" gag when he says he doesn't know what socks are or something and Roshi basically replies, "yeah, that's really not cute anymore, time for some first grade education." Unfortunately, Super still includes unfunny gags like Goku having trouble counting.

To me, Goku only came off as wise and mature towards the very end of the manga. He still shows signs of his usual social ignorance outside of combat during the final stretches, but they appear less frequently.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:01 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:50 pm Eh, those probably aren't the best examples of Goku's intelligence. Him learning how to count, how to smell people (?) and how to tell the differences between males and females isn't exactly encouraging, that's below pre-school level stuff and Goku was older than he looked at the time. Considering that Goku was at least educated to speak and understand the concept of the opposite sex, it's something he probably should've picked up on much quicker without resorting to crotch-patting.

One of the best decisions Toriyama made in early Dragon Ball was curbstomping the "Goku doesn't understand basic concepts" gag when he says he doesn't know what socks are or something and Roshi basically replies, "yeah, that's really not cute anymore, time for some first grade education." Unfortunately, Super still includes unfunny gags like Goku having trouble counting.

To me, Goku only came off as wise and mature towards the very end of the manga. He still shows signs of his usual social ignorance outside of combat during the final stretches, but they appear less frequently.
Goku says he has never seen female before, so it is no surprise he wouldn't know. Grandpa Gohan is the only person he knew.
We know Grandpa Gohan died when Goku was young and we don't know what exactly Grandpa Gohan taught him apart from martial arts.

Goku could use his scent of smell to find a specific stone and even to know someone identity, if said person doesn't mask it.
Lets not forget Goku mind reading.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:08 pm

His strong sense of smell isn't a matter of intelligence. It's a matter of his Saiyan physiology.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:10 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:08 pm His strong sense of smell isn't a matter of intelligence. It's a matter of his Saiyan physiology.
No other Saiyan has demonstrated this ability at all.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:20 pm

I think he is shown to have it in the Buu arc, but regardless, it's not a function of intelligence. It is Goku's biology and the fact that he was raised in the mountains, away from civilization.

And it's a trait used mostly for gags.

I don't have anything else to add. Peace out.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:52 am

Goku’s stupidity doesn’t come from a lack of intelligence, but rather a lack of education.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:47 am

ABED wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:20 pm I think he is shown to have it in the Buu arc, but regardless, it's not a function of intelligence. It is Goku's biology and the fact that he was raised in the mountains, away from civilization.

The scene with Goku finding Master Roshi stone wasn't a gag, that was one of Master Roshi test. If one fails that test they would go the day without eating.

Finding out one identity isn't gag.

As for the Saiyan Saga to EOZ we are never shown anyone using that ability to sense someone smell to find things or uncover someone identity.

Here is a underrated feat, Goku as a kid survival by himself for many years. He managed to not starve to death.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:33 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:50 pm Eh, those probably aren't the best examples of Goku's intelligence. Him learning how to count, how to smell people (?) and how to tell the differences between males and females isn't exactly encouraging, that's below pre-school level stuff and Goku was older than he looked at the time. Considering that Goku was at least educated to speak and understand the concept of the opposite sex, it's something he probably should've picked up on much quicker without resorting to crotch-patting.

Hell Goku still had to get a 100% confirmation that Videl is a girl :P
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:50 pm

Really am wondering where this myth that Goku is dumb started from. Goku was never dumb--he was ignorant. There's a difference. Early Dragon Ball Goku was a classic case of "you don't know what you don't know."

How could someone call him dumb for thinking that Bulma's car was a beast when he never knew about technology and only came across various beasts his entire life until that point?

I never once got the impression that Goku was dumb. And when it came to battle, Goku was actually highly intelligent. I did think that Goku was carefree. There are a lot of things that Goku doesn't value: money, constantly seeing his friends, settling down romantically. That doesn't make him dumb. And Goku has a lot of confidence, so when everyone's running around in circles, Goku isn't fazed because he truly believes that everything will be okay--also doesn't make him dumb.

And we've seen that Goku knows when a situation is dire and he needs to act with caution or urgency. We saw this all throughout the series. Clearly, Goku's carefree attitude is discretionary--he was carefree in the days leading up to the Cell Games because he knew Gohan could beat Cell, but he was very serious about beating Freeza, for example.

And then, I kind of feel like fans put Goku into this box of how dumb he was. I feel like Super plays up how dumb and carefree Goku is. The thing with Monaka and not knowing what kissing is was pretty dumb. It's hard to make the ignorance argument with the kissing too because... I mean, come on. Amd Goku's carefree nature is way played up with how nonchalantly he sacrifices Universe 7 just to get to fight. I feel like Z Goku would never do that.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:19 pm

super michael wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:01 pm
Goku says he has never seen female before, so it is no surprise he wouldn't know. Grandpa Gohan is the only person he knew.
We know Grandpa Gohan died when Goku was young and we don't know what exactly Grandpa Gohan taught him apart from martial arts.

Goku could use his scent of smell to find a specific stone and even to know someone identity, if said person doesn't mask it.
Lets not forget Goku mind reading.
Goku wasn't like Victor of Aveyron, he had enough basic education from Grandpa Gohan to speak and take care of himself in the woods for several years without resorting to completely feral behaviour. As he had trouble determining people's genders, he could've just asked them until he had it nailed down, which would've been a smarter thing to do, but obviously that's not as funny to Toriyama.

His sense of good smell is not a mark of intelligence, it's another thing that shows Goku to be more animal than human. The ancient "dogs are better judges of character" trope. He relies on his body's natural (ultra) instinct, not his brains. His ability to learn techniques so quickly is indeed a mark of intelligence, but it only relates to his special interest in martial arts.
jjgp1112 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:33 am Hell Goku still had to get a 100% confirmation that Videl is a girl :P
Lmao, true.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:21 pm

I have also noticed and commented at places that kid Goku was smarter than adult Goku.

Maybe the fact that he did not want to marry and have kids but Chichi forced him made Goku start acting stupid to troll people around him.

Ever since Goku died and started to live with King Kai and bubbles and people from the other world he changed, he became more silly in my opinion.

Pride9000!!!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pride9000!!! » Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:19 pm

Goku may not be the smartest guy in the room if you give him a test in mathematics or something like that. But the guy is a FIGHTING GENIUS, what Took master roshi 50 years to learn the kamehameha wave the guy learns it in like 2 seconds, he constantly learns new abilities or fighting styles, fights beings with thousands of years experience.

He is written as a naive character but he's just good at things that he's passionate about. The guy could be a better scholar than Gohan if he was interested in books.

Anonymous Friend
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Anonymous Friend » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:45 pm

Saiya6Cit wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:21 pm I have also noticed and commented at places that kid Goku was smarter than adult Goku.

Maybe the fact that he did not want to marry and have kids but Chichi forced him made Goku start acting stupid to troll people around him.

Ever since Goku died and started to live with King Kai and bubbles and people from the other world he changed, he became more silly in my opinion.
Dude died twice, went to an afterlife that was literally and figurally heaven, where he gets to train and fight with other strong opponents. I'm not sure about "silly", but he became a bit more carefree in his approaches. By the end of Z, everyone had died at least once and been brought back to life. the fact that they have this in their back pocket also led him to be more cavalier.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:19 pm

super michael wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:47 am
ABED wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:20 pm I think he is shown to have it in the Buu arc, but regardless, it's not a function of intelligence. It is Goku's biology and the fact that he was raised in the mountains, away from civilization.

The scene with Goku finding Master Roshi stone wasn't a gag, that was one of Master Roshi test. If one fails that test they would go the day without eating.

Finding out one identity isn't gag.

As for the Saiyan Saga to EOZ we are never shown anyone using that ability to sense someone smell to find things or uncover someone identity.

Here is a underrated feat, Goku as a kid survival by himself for many years. He managed to not starve to death.
He plays with Saber Tigers ffs😂 what he has to fear or starve for? Seems like he lived with Granpa Gohan for decent amount of time, plus he knows kungfu, has nyoibo & superhuman strength...basically the animals in Mt Paozu has to fear Kid Goku🤣

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:05 pm

Have we ever considered the possibility that Goku is on the spectrum

Because it's non-facetiously a possibility.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:10 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:05 pm Have we ever considered the possibility that Goku is on the spectrum

Because it's non-facetiously a possibility.
On some level, I've always considered it, regardless of intentionality. At the very least, some kind of savant syndrome.