Do you think the anime should adopt 3D animation?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Do you think the anime should adopt 3D animation?

Post by Seekeroftruth » Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:05 pm

If DB: Super anime series returns, do you think they should adopt the 3d animation of DB Super: Superheroes going forward?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Do you think the anime should adopt 3D animation?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:45 pm

On a tv schedule and budget with Super's track record?

Good god no

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:26 pm

Nah, I don't see it working as a TV show. It work well for a movie because it did something new and fresh.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sun Dec 18, 2022 5:04 pm

There might be room for 3DCG in its own project but I'm not interested in sacrificing one for the other. I want to see the staff from the hand drawn animation department at Toei Animation get a 'rematch'. I'm also simply more invested in the work and the careers of those types of creators.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:26 am

3D should be used when it would benefit a scene or sequence. If not, don't do it. We don't need a wholesale transition to only 3D for no reason.

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:30 am

The CG movie standard would be impossible for a tv series. At least a weekly anime. This could only work in seasons with under 20 episodes per season. But if you read about how massive the CG process was, with creating the basics, having 2D animators to draw over the frames and then do CG again... this cant work in a taditional toei anime schedule. It would be a massive downgrade and i think the only reason, why the movie worked, was because of the time and quality they put in it. Nobody wants cheap looking CG as a tv show.
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:44 pm

As long as it doesn't look like a polygon pictures pile of garbage. I still can't believe what they did to the beautiful Ultraman manga!

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:17 am

No. But can it? Yes.

One thing I've come to accept, the people who talk about Dragon Ball over the internet are a tiny portion of the actual fanbase. It's mainstream, at this point. As much as I would not like it being 3D, they could pull it off, tho that would also require practices that heavily acknowledge audiences outside of Japan. Would The Powers That Be be willing? That, I'm not sure of... And if that's the case, then no.

Majin Man 101
Beyond Newbie

Post by Majin Man 101 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:13 am

3D anime is absolute and total garbage. It is such a disappointment to see Super Hero and Sand Land taking the 3D route. One of the major appeals of anime is it's beautiful animation, and now 3D is going to westernize and ruin it. DOWN with 3D. 2D FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously if they make Dragon Ball all 3D going forward I don't think I will be able to stomach it.

Saiya6Cit
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Saiya6Cit » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:26 pm

As far as I know, it is cheaper to do 3D than 2D, so why not. This could be an alternative to totally cancel DB anime, so obviously, I am going to support that.

The reason why I would still support a not go good product is because at least the franchise is still alive, and as long as the franchise lives there is always a chance that something better might be done, take a look at starwars, they have plenty bad series, animated and live action ones, but they have the mandalorian which is awesome, same with DB I think that is the future, we will have bad DB products and good DB products, there is enough DB for all prefferences. I chose to be optImistic, but over all I choose to be loyal to DB, til my death.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:27 pm

Bad 3D is cheaper than decent 2D. All good-looking animation is expensive, 3D versus 2D mostly has to do with different workflow and staffing. Take a look at how different the credits on Super Hero are from Broly.

But ALSO, money should be no object to Dragon Ball! It's one of the most successful IPs in existence! Every time you see something that looks poor in the modern series, it's the result of something being wrong with the production, not a lack of funds. It has massive amounts of money poured into it.

Finally, there is no chance of Dragon Ball disappearing if they don't go 3D. I have no idea why you'd even present that as a hypothetical.

PurestEvil

Post by PurestEvil » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:20 pm

I doubt the anime's animation quality would match the new film's, given all the time constraints and limitations...
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:30 pm

No. Just because Super Hero turned out well doesn't mean I want all of DB to look like it going forward. I generally prefer 2D animation to 3D, and Super Broly is the best the series has ever looked. I'd like more stuff in that direction, even if it's scaled down due to being on a TV series production schedule.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Dec 21, 2022 5:03 am

Majin Man 101 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:13 am 3D anime is absolute and total garbage. It is such a disappointment to see Super Hero and Sand Land taking the 3D route. One of the major appeals of anime is it's beautiful animation, and now 3D is going to westernize and ruin it. DOWN with 3D. 2D FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What a lame take, Houseki No Kuni looks better then a decent chunk of popular anime over the past decade. I don't particularly want or need Dragon Ball to be 3D, but it's an valid form of animation that has its pros and cons, it's not inherently bad or good. The new Trigun anime which is done by the same studio as HNK, looks pretty good too.
Shaddy wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:27 pm Bad 3D is cheaper than decent 2D. All good-looking animation is expensive, 3D versus 2D mostly has to do with different workflow and staffing. Take a look at how different the credits on Super Hero are from Broly.
I mean as far "Anime" goes, most good looking TV anime you've seen probably had the same budget as most bad looking shows you've seen, it really is mostly a planning thing from my knowledge. Like most KyoAni shows iirc typically were produced at a lower budget then other shows around the same time, just because their in-house studio was so tight and they planned their shows really well, but something like Nichijou is one of the best animated shows I've ever seen.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:14 am

Ideally? Sure! I don’t know how hot a take this is, but I’m of the opinion that Super Hero is in the running for the best-looking DB animation period. The process used for the film captured Toriyama’s style incredibly well, and allowed for complex, interesting, fast and weighty action.

Realistically? The film was the result of a long workflow with multiple back-and-forths between CG animation staff and hand-drawn corrections, which I’m not sure is replicable for a long-running TV show. (But then, Super didn’t always allow itself the space to even do 2D animation well, so pick your poison if we’re ever going to get a production environment like that again.)

The Golden God

Post by The Golden God » Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:23 pm

Not until they get better at it, Chainsaw Man does a good job mixing 2D and 3D animation. Gantz: O did a fantastic job with 3D animation but the artstyle for that was hyper realism. I think for more manga artstyles 2D is better and captures the spirit of the source material better but for stuff that’s supposed to look like real humans like Gantz 3D works fine if it’s done as well as Gantz: O.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:18 am

I've read the new movie cost 30+ million to make. No way that is cost effective for a weekly tv series.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:26 am

It shouldn't. This just comes down to personal preference. I prefer traditional 2D animation when it comes to Dragon Ball. A weekly or seasonal 3D continuation of Super could look good. The new Sand Land anime trailer looks good. But personally, I just prefer Dragon Ball to be animated in 2D.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Jan 02, 2023 12:43 pm

David Production and ufoTable do good enough 3D Animation, but they use a higher budget for their work and it's only for a few sequences.

And higher animation doesn't guarantee a fun story.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

GokuHater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuHater » Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:55 pm

I prefer 3D Super Hero animation all the way than the animation we had in Super ;)
Then again I also prefer 2D hand-drawn 'old DB' or Broly.

So everything that is different than what we got in Super :)