General Blue

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Re: General Blue

Post by supersaiyamangod » Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:43 pm

Only asking here so i don’t have to make a new unnecessary thread does anyone know why they added him liking a certain character in the dr slump in the anime stuff because 1) it’s gross 2) it doesn’t add anything it’s a change that doesn’t make any sense to me.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:04 pm

supersaiyamangod wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:43 pm Only asking here so i don’t have to make a new unnecessary thread does anyone know why they added him liking a certain character in the dr slump in the anime stuff because 1) it’s gross 2) it doesn’t add anything it’s a change that doesn’t make any sense to me.
Queer people are typically depicted as sex abusers in media, especially older media.

Cisgender and heterosexual people hate us and have for centuries thanks to propaganda by white supremacists and organized religion. These things inevitably seeped into art and mainstream depictions of queer people.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:08 pm

supersaiyamangod wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 3:43 pm Only asking here so i don’t have to make a new unnecessary thread does anyone know why they added him liking a certain character in the dr slump in the anime stuff because 1) it’s gross 2) it doesn’t add anything it’s a change that doesn’t make any sense to me.
Well, it's quite simple: moral panic. In society, homosexuality has often been treated as degeneracy. As such, it gets linked to dangerous and abusive sexual behavior, like pedophilia. While those attitudes are (thankfully) diminishing in modern discourse, they still persist. Just look at the current culture war about "grooming" used heavily within the past year or two as a homophobic and transphobic dog whistle.

Anyway, with that context, we can see Toei's mindset. General Blue is, if not explicitly confirmed, at least heavily implied by other characters to be gay. In their minds, gayness is linked to pedophilia and promiscuity. So, haha, wouldn't it be funny if he had a crush on the robot boy? No, it's gross and sick and promotes harmful stereotypes. But it was 1987, so they thought it was funny.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Post by Seekeroftruth » Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:16 pm

Speaking of general blue, did anyone notice the Nazi sympathizing subplot inserted into the DB Super: Superheroes film? I'm referring to the two new androids being absolved of their sins by using the excuse "we were just following orders" and thus being turned into good guys. As we know the Red ribbon army are based off Nazis and having those two saying this line just seems a little too close to home.

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:39 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:08 pm
Well, it's quite simple: moral panic. In society, homosexuality has often been treated as degeneracy. As such, it gets linked to dangerous and abusive sexual behavior, like pedophilia. While those attitudes are (thankfully) diminishing in modern discourse, they still persist. Just look at the current culture war about "grooming" used heavily within the past year or two as a homophobic and transphobic dog whistle.

Anyway, with that context, we can see Toei's mindset. General Blue is, if not explicitly confirmed, at least heavily implied by other characters to be gay. In their minds, gayness is linked to pedophilia and promiscuity. So, haha, wouldn't it be funny if he had a crush on the robot boy? No, it's gross and sick and promotes harmful stereotypes. But it was 1987, so they thought it was funny.
How is that humor that’s gross not funny but if I had to put modern day equivalent to it sadly it’s the equivalent to Jared fogel in the South Park fractured but whole game. but i would have preferred them to keep manga general blue intact despite the issue that remain in that version.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PurestEvil » Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:43 pm

Seekeroftruth wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:16 pm Speaking of general blue, did anyone notice the Nazi sympathizing subplot inserted into the DB Super: Superheroes film? I'm referring to the two new androids being absolved of their sins by using the excuse "we were just following orders" and thus being turned into good guys. As we know the Red ribbon army are based off Nazis and having those two saying this line just seems a little too close to home.
How is the entire Red Ribbon Army based off the Nazis? All I know is that only General Blue's character design was based off a Nazi, being blond and dressed in an SA uniform and all.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:59 pm

supersaiyamangod wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:39 pm

How is that humor that’s gross not funny but if I had to put modern day equivalent to it sadly it’s the equivalent to Jared fogel in the South Park fractured but whole game. but i would have preferred them to keep manga general blue intact despite the issue that remain in that version.
They view queer people as jokes meant to be laughed at, feared and ridiculed. It has fucked up generations of queer people and continues to happen both in fiction and news media.

It sucks a lot.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:11 pm

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:59 pm
supersaiyamangod wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:39 pm

They view queer people as jokes meant to be laughed at, feared and ridiculed. It has fucked up generations of queer people and continues to happen both in fiction and news media.

It sucks a lot.
I’m not condoning it I’m saying I’d prefer that than keeping that awful anime only unfunny change that’s all. if those were the only two choices i choose keep him manga accurate not add something not in the manga.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:34 am

I'm surpised that someone bump a thread from 2011.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

supersaiyamangod
Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyamangod » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:27 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:34 am I'm surpised that someone bump a thread from 2011.
It was either that or make new thread on this which I 100 didn’t think it deserve so this seemed like the better option.