New Simplistic Transformations Are Good, Actually

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Skar
I Live Here

Re: New Simplistic Transformations Are Good, Actually

Post by Skar » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:15 pm

Kaboom wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:13 pmI'm not looking to have vapid debates about how using the fully-appropriate descriptor of "lazy design" makes someone a meanie, or what does or doesn't constitute "creative enough," or what is or isn't just, like, my opinion, man. But I do know that simply re-coloring an existing design and trying to pass it off as a new one is the kind of thing that fan-designs have been getting relentlessly (and rightly) ridiculed for over the last 20+ years. It's not suddenly special when it comes from Toriyama instead of a 14-year-old with Paint Shop.
It's the main reason why I didn't like SSJB since the other god forms had more physical changes than just a different hair color. If Goku kept God for a few sagas before UI, I really doubt anyone would argue a form that only recolors the hair like fans have done for decades would be a great addition. When fans have done it before, the reason was usually "I can't draw so recoloring an existing form is the best I can do" and not "Toriyama only recolored Vegeta's hair for SSJ so it would be very creative if all I did was change the hair color again".

I like to assume it was a parody of those types of transformations since fans usually try to give their recolors a fancy name while he just called it what it is. Who knows but I'm glad Goku learned to use UI at will in the manga so Blue won't be used as often.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: New Simplistic Transformations Are Good, Actually

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:32 pm

Speaking of new transformations, the new superhero costumes that Goten and Trunks wear are so overly detailed. They look like a real pain to draw. The grey is also really ugly and doesn't really fit, which, who knows, perhaps that's just Toriyama fucking around to annoy entertain himself by annoying readers.

Good lord, this thread is old.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf