The Destructions of Planet Vegeta.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

The Destructions of Planet Vegeta.

Post by Grimlock » Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:28 pm

As the destruction of Vegeta seen in the TV Special is turning thirty-three years old this year, it has been remade a number of times since then. I figured it is time to ask which one(s) of these versions you like more, aside from the original which I imagine is the one the majority would pick anyway.

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2

Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock

Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2

Dragon Ball Super Broly

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot

I feel like each one of these has something unique, to the point that a "mix and match" of every version would be the ultimate, the most definitive version of this moment for me. Anyway, do you have a favorite one?

(• Bonus: there is a version of Freeza destroying the planet in Dragon Ball Super but I can't find any clip, but that counts, if you want it. The major difference in that one is that Bardock is nowhere to be seen. •).
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Re: The Destructions of Planet Vegeta.

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:34 pm

That's the first I've seen of Kakarot's version. Not a fan, I think Bardock physically fighting Freeza complete with cutscenes and dialogue is a massive misfire that misses the point of the original scene. Part of what I like about their final "confrontation" in the TV special, if you can even call it that, is that Freeza is still so distant from Bardock. There's barely any indication he was even noticed amongst the crowd of soldiers (though Bardock evidently left just enough of an impression that Freeza remembers his face years later) before Freeza fires. Bardock is quite literally like an ant fighting his way up to the top of the nest, only to get incinerated by a kid with a magnifying glass on a hot summer's day. You could also see some political allegory that Dragon Ball rarely dabbles in.

Most of the other clips (except Ultimate Tenkaichi... no idea what the hell is going on there) manage to still keep the spirit of the scene juuust about in tact, though the dialogue Episode of Bardock is totally unnecessary. Xenoverse 2's version is actually quite good, including flash-forwards to Resurrection 'F' is a fairly nice touch for continuity's sake, plus it looks pretty.

PJ The Grey

Post by PJ The Grey » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:18 am

Grimlock wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:28 pm As the destruction of Vegeta seen in the TV Special is turning thirty-three years old this year, it has been remade a number of times since then. I figured it is time to ask which one(s) of these versions you like more, aside from the original which I imagine is the one the majority would pick anyway.

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2

Dragon Ball: Episode of Bardock

Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2

Dragon Ball Super Broly

Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot

I feel like each one of these has something unique, to the point that a "mix and match" of every version would be the ultimate, the most definitive version of this moment for me. Anyway, do you have a favorite one?

(• Bonus: there is a version of Freeza destroying the planet in Dragon Ball Super but I can't find any clip, but that counts, if you want it. The major difference in that one is that Bardock is nowhere to be seen. •).
Really appreciate thread's and retrospectives about scenes like this.

I think my favorite of all of them including the original, despite flaws of my #1 pick, has to be the DBS: Broly version. Controversial, I know, and two things of the original I prefer to this one are:

1. The juxtaposing to Son Gohan finding Goku, and making him laugh and showing him unconditional love, just after the horrible death and despair we saw with planet vegeta, is one of my favorite moments in the entire franchise, it perfectly encapsulates the sins and undoing of the saiyans, frieza setting himself up for failure, and most importantly, the boundless love goku experiences on earth and the man who made him who he is, Gohan.

2. I do slightly prefer DBZ Bardock to DBS Bardock, however, unpopular opinion; I love both of them. I think DBZ version is more well written, makes more sense with the saiyans as a race and sets up more of the "the saiyans ultimately were evil but didn't deserve what happened" much more, with his warriorlike attitude. I do like the DBS version too, because it shows that under all the conquering and killing, the saiyans always had good in them deep down. Bardock and Gine show hints of that good, and Goku with his earthling upbringing, brings it out to its fullest, and always protects and tries to redeem others, even if they don't deserve it at the time.

But the emotion, music, animation and seeing gine puts the DBS version of this scene just 1% above the original for me. Both are top 10 scenes of the entire series for me, though.

I will say, I just saw the Kakarot version for the first time and love it, it's probably my 3rd favorite. One nitpick is of course the frieza actually fighting, and actually using supernovas in the fight, before he actually destroys the planet with it. It kills the immersion a little bit, seeing bardock dodge 10 of them and then act shocked seeing one in the cutscene and dying. But nevertheless, the animation and facial expressions, coloring, everything is on point. And it has that same juxtaposition of the original with Gohan finding goku, that I love so much.

The ultimate tenkaichi one gotta be my least favorite by far. I grew up with the game so I have some positive bias but the animation is so stiff and overly "clean", it feels like there's zero impact or weight to it. Not to mention you have to watch bardock and frieza play rock paper scissors and take turns deciding who attacks for 5 minutes before the cutscene itself. Man I have a lot of good memories with this game and some moments of the story modes from it I like, but so much of it is just awful too, outright rancid lmao

Sorry for so much rambling, i just like deep diving into scenes like this. Happy birthday to an amazing origin story of our loveable, kind son goku and his gruff but deep down loveable dad :D

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:16 am

The one from Super: Broly, despite the fact that they completely skipped the build-up to Bardock's last stand.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:46 pm

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:34 pmThat's the first I've seen of Kakarot's version. Not a fan, I think Bardock physically fighting Freeza complete with cutscenes and dialogue is a massive misfire that misses the point of the original scene. Part of what I like about their final "confrontation" in the TV special, if you can even call it that, is that Freeza is still so distant from Bardock. There's barely any indication he was even noticed amongst the crowd of soldiers (though Bardock evidently left just enough of an impression that Freeza remembers his face years later) before Freeza fires. Bardock is quite literally like an ant fighting his way up to the top of the nest, only to get incinerated by a kid with a magnifying glass on a hot summer's day. You could also see some political allegory that Dragon Ball rarely dabbles in.
I find a bit hilarious whenever I see Freeza fighting in his hoverchair. All I can say is "how?". All he can do is throw punches, and even then, his mobility shouldn't be that good. But I do like that one punch Bardock delivers on Freeza, since he's doomed to fail, at least getting to hit Freeza is cool. It would also explain the impression left and how Freeza remembers him. In this version Bardock did something quite remarkable, one that I don't think any other Saiyan did or could have done (except, maybe, King Vegeta. If we don't take into consideration that filler scene).
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:34 pmXenoverse 2's version is actually quite good, including flash-forwards to Resurrection 'F' is a fairly nice touch for continuity's sake, plus it looks pretty.
Might just be my favorite. Dragon Ball Z Kakarot has Bardock seeing Super Saiyan Goku, which I'd argue is also a nice touch for continuity sake, but also what I'm pretty sure is what he would ended up seeing, if the TV Special was done after Goku and Freeza battle.
PJ The Grey wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:18 amI think my favorite of all of them including the original, despite flaws of my #1 pick, has to be the DBS: Broly version. Controversial, I know,
There's nothing "controversial" about that. The one from Dragon Ball Super Broly is quite good. I think the only flaws in that one is that we don't see Bardock fighting the soldiers and that he's missing his headband. Other than those, I think I prefer the technique Bardock uses in it rather than the sphere one from the TV Special, and the music "Bardock Falls", chills to this day and forever.
PJ The Grey wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:18 amI will say, I just saw the Kakarot version for the first time and love it, it's probably my 3rd favorite. One nitpick is of course the frieza actually fighting, and actually using supernovas in the fight, before he actually destroys the planet with it. It kills the immersion a little bit, seeing bardock dodge 10 of them and then act shocked seeing one in the cutscene and dying. But nevertheless, the animation and facial expressions, coloring, everything is on point. And it has that same juxtaposition of the original with Gohan finding goku, that I love so much.
I think we just have to ignore what happens during the battle. Not that CyberConnect 2 couldn't have locked some of Freeza's techniques so that he wouldn't use it during the battle, but that would probably make things easier. But yeah, like I said above, Bardock being able to hit Freeza before ultimately failing is great. When he deflected Freeza's beam reminded me of the "power-up" he got in Granolah saga (in fact, he even has something that is activated like a transformation in the game that resembles what was seen in that saga). I doubt it was intentional, but it was interesting even so.
PJ The Grey wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:18 amSorry for so much rambling, i just like deep diving into scenes like this. Happy birthday to an amazing origin story of our loveable, kind son goku and his gruff but deep down loveable dad :D
This scene in particular has always stood out for me. It's quite literally where everything changes. More often than not I find myself watching it for many reasons. It's the one scene I won't mind at all if they keep retelling over and over, especially if they all contain something different.
Luso Saiyan wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:16 amThe one from Super: Broly, despite the fact that they completely skipped the build-up to Bardock's last stand.
It would have been perfect if they hadn't skipped that part... :(
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~