What if Gohan trained with Roshi and Piccolo?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FPSSJ4_Goku
Regular

What if Gohan trained with Roshi and Piccolo?

Post by FPSSJ4_Goku » Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:46 am

In the Saiyan arc, Gohan spends 6 months doing Roshi's training (excluding the reading part), then spends the next 6 months undergoing Piccolo's harsher training. How does the Saiyan arc, and the series itself, change? Does Roshi's training make Gohan weaker or stronger? Or does it just keep him at the same strength?
So, you decided to read my signature, eh?

If you'd like, check out my YouTube channel, and maybe subscribe?

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: What if Gohan trained with Roshi and Piccolo?

Post by BWri » Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:51 pm

FPSSJ4_Goku wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 2:46 am In the Saiyan arc, Gohan spends 6 months doing Roshi's training (excluding the reading part), then spends the next 6 months undergoing Piccolo's harsher training. How does the Saiyan arc, and the series itself, change? Does Roshi's training make Gohan weaker or stronger? Or does it just keep him at the same strength?
I constantly forget series details, but they didn't have the full year did they? Didn't the Saiyans arrive at month 10 or something like that? I really have no clue.

I think Piccolo's training resulted in Gohan gaining a lot of of power via zenkai boosts due to the constant survival and rigorous combat training Piccolo put him through. That's really the important part of the training.

I have a hard time figuring out if the survival part of the training is more rigorous than Roshi's chores. I think physically, they're about the same but the extra layer of wilderness survival could potentially result in zenkai boosts as well which would put it over Roshi's method (in terms of generating strength really quickly). However, if Gohan also got martial arts lessons during this time then he would be much more prepared for Piccolo's harsh combat training which would put them both ahead of schedule, I think.

So I'd say, even though Gohan would be comparatively weaker after month 6, he'd make up for it during the latter months with Piccolo by already having training as a fighter which would make that time with Piccolo more effective for both.

In the end, he'd wind up stronger and more importantly, a much better fighter with more confidence in his skill.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Re: What if Gohan trained with Roshi and Piccolo?

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Jan 15, 2023 2:08 pm

I constantly forget series details, but they didn't have the full year did they? Didn't the Saiyans arrive at month 10 or something like that? I really have no clue.
Correct, the Saiyans showed up a month or two early.

Would have been real interesting if Master Roshi, or literally anyone, stepped up to Piccolo, and demanded some terms. And, while 6 months of wilderness training got Gohan to a place where Piccolo could train him, I personally feel that in long term goals, it was detrimental to his growth as a martial artist, and just made him nothing more than a weapon for the short term.

Considering it was literally wilderness survival for 6 months, if Piccolo agreed to let Master Roshi train Gohan as long as they stayed in his territory, there is no reason to think Gohan would have been at a lower power. Master Roshi would provide formal training on top of survival, which ideally would take care of any mental issues, like the outbursts. If anything, once Gohan's power risen higher than Master Roshi, his training would be bringing out his excess potential. If Piccolo could sense Gohan's underlying power, there's no reason Master Roshi couldn't do the same, especially after spending more time with Gohan. I also like to think Master Roshi's training would help in the first battle, as with formal training, explaining the stakes, not constantly beating the boy down, Gohan can develop confidence, and understand what he needs to do, and why.

By the time Piccolo takes over, Gohan would be more than ready for him, and be in a more stable mindset to contribute early on.