"Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

XenoSaiyan
Banned Alternate Account

Re: "Dragon Ball FighterZ" Official Discussion Thread

Post by XenoSaiyan » Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:11 pm

Some surprise DLC would be hype. It worked for Lab Coat 21.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:01 am

I am hoping for Lab Coat Goku!
But seriously, fingers crossed for the rollback.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:51 am

Let me guess nothing announced huh?

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:21 am

Excitement for an offline tournament after 3 long years with a list of strong competitors!

Yeah, nothing announced. The whole episode was focused on details about tournament for all the games.
I seriously believe that this game is finished add on wise and the last ballance update was made for the sake of tournament and competitive gameplay with Android 21 being a small wink from the developers and easy fix to give in something fresh, which in turn made lot of players question the add on, as the character was overbuffed and many voiced for getting her banned from tournaments. Thus debuffing her in the process.

You don't simply ruin your ballance for e-sports with major fan service add on.

The game is awesome and one of a kind for Dragon Ball, so at one hand, I am really happy how it turned out and the popularity and traction it gained, on the other hand, I wonder if we will ever get up to par succesor and I strongly feel that with the popularity and the tournament happening, we might. I incline towards getting a remake/overhaul, because the game is completely different from Guilty Gear series and their updates in the form of XX and Xrd series... something more like Strive?
I can't imagine a tag game getting sequel/upgrade with new story and two new fighters only and I can't imagine them adding like 10 new characters to this already huge roster.
Still think that FighterZ is one off lightning in a bottle in a way.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:56 pm

Game has been done for a long time.

Labcoat was an opportunity for easy money reusing assets they already had. Like said above, the last balance patch was solely because they released a broken character and people were up-in-arms.

The rollback update only exists as a test for the sequel. They aren't spending this much money to add rollback just for the fans. It's to serve as a beta and goodwill.

I can only think a sequel will be better. Specially since FighterZ at the start was so adverse to risks; with DLC and patches they seem to have opened they vision.

For my part they can take as long as they need.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:08 pm

FighterZ 2 could take notes from Mortal Kombat 11 and create 4 to 5 intro scenes and victory poses for each character to collect in the in-game shop. Given how impressive and referential those intros / win poses are, THAT would make me eager to collect in-game money and spend thousands and thousands, more so than stickers and "titles" to go with my username!

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:56 am

I really hate the RNG for BGM and stickers, but at least, it wasn't as rudiculous as in Guilty Gear Strive.
I am not fan of the new vocal engrish soundtrack and sure, there is the whole catalogue of old bgm from GG up until the Xrd in the gallery, but you can't purchase what you want as in games before... you get it via RNG through fishing and most of the times, you get rewarded with stupid avatar accesories for online lobby and as there is less modes for offline, only way you can earn a lot of money is through online play - but the player base online is only strong on weekends at various times, otherwise, the servers are plain and empty.

In FighterZ, it was actually a side fun, to get avatars and stickers and next to it, you could buy what you wanted from separate option, like the various BGM tracks.

I'd love to see different intro poses before the dialogue, but would love to buy them for Zeni, instead of RNG.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:21 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:08 pm FighterZ 2 could take notes from Mortal Kombat 11 and create 4 to 5 intro scenes and victory poses for each character to collect in the in-game shop. Given how impressive and referential those intros / win poses are, THAT would make me eager to collect in-game money and spend thousands and thousands, more so than stickers and "titles" to go with my username!
It can learn a LOT from MK11. It's perhaps not the most mechanically sound fighting game but both the MK and Injustice games have a ton of cool content that other fighting games lack:

- A great story mode, with quality acting and a cinematic feel. I like FighterZ but the story mode was a dud with all the clone fights.
- Custom intros and endings as you mentioned, both in animations as well as in voice overs. MK11 has far less generic lines. The characters actually interact with each other.
- Towers mode in which you fight multiple opponents in a row, with specific conditions that affect the fights, which change over time. This is so much more than just an arcade mode and brings variety to the game.
- CPU that doesn't just scale damage once you get to the higher levels.
- Custom gear. Not just aesthetically, but also having impact on the move set.
- (Regarding customizing, I wouldn't be opposed to letting us customize our move-set/stats like the Budokai games' capsule system)

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:44 am

I would say that Injustice 2 and MK11 are incredibly mechanically sound games.

But their concepts do not translate at all to Arc Sys games, as they are conceptually completely different.
But take an inspiration content wise? Hell yeah... FighterZ can even expand on the lack of proper guard mechanics and options.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:11 pm

Dramatic Finishers that should have been added, but never did.

Base Goku vs. Piccolo
SSj Goku vs. Coola
Jiren vs. Hit
Future Trunks vs. #18
Baby Vegeta vs. GT Goku
Nappa vs. Piccolo
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:08 am

Nappa vs Piccolo is a big ommission but I guess they didn't do that one since kid Gohan isn't in the game.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:25 pm

Jord wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:08 am Nappa vs Piccolo is a big ommission but I guess they didn't do that one since kid Gohan isn't in the game.
They could still have added him as a cut scene only character.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:14 pm

LightBing wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:56 pm Game has been done for a long time.

Labcoat was an opportunity for easy money reusing assets they already had. Like said above, the last balance patch was solely because they released a broken character and people were up-in-arms.

The rollback update only exists as a test for the sequel. They aren't spending this much money to add rollback just for the fans. It's to serve as a beta and goodwill.

I can only think a sequel will be better. Specially since FighterZ at the start was so adverse to risks; with DLC and patches they seem to have opened they vision.

For my part they can take as long as they need.
This, for them to retrofit rollback into an already existing game it’s essentially remaking the game over not some update patch many vets in the FGC already said this even Maximillian Dood said he think this is a “beta test” for fighterz2. Bandai who has been staunchly against rollback for years even in their own series Tekken didn’t do this on some goodwill for fans.

Fighterz can be improved upon greatly I understand they probably played it safe but they need to take more of risk for a sequel. & no to whoever is saying there is too many characters in this game now WRONG.if anything the roster is very boring multiple Goku’s and characters that play way too similar with copycat attacks. Like damn near half the roster has a kamehameha adjacent attack. More variety please heck take a page from Street Fighter/Mortal Kombat notice how ever game they add new people with variety in moves and looks.

Have at least 10 new characters plus the old favorites. This Budokai model of just adding clone characters won’t work in a serious fighting game. 43 is not a large roster when half play the damn same. Make Dbfz 56 with variety. Hell add Dr wheelo and make him play like sentinel from mvc2. FGC like characters that play like other characters they are familiar with in fighting games hence why Yamcha had a lot of play in season 1 since he played like Mvc wolverine. Popularity shouldn’t be the make or break if a character should get in. If they can have a varied move set that can differ them from the rest of the roster they should get in.

Meito

Post by Meito » Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:50 pm

On Dragon Ball Games social account they are advertising the DB Battle Hour 2023 event. As for FighterZ there is only the finals logo. I sincerely hope that at the end of the finals Hiroki-san will announce something other than another tournament...

Man, FighterZ was the game that made me buy a PS4, it's sad to see it being slowly abandoned.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:07 am

Meito wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:50 pm On Dragon Ball Games social account they are advertising the DB Battle Hour 2023 event. As for FighterZ there is only the finals logo. I sincerely hope that at the end of the finals Hiroki-san will announce something other than another tournament...

Man, FighterZ was the game that made me buy a PS4, it's sad to see it being slowly abandoned.
They said support is over besides the upcoming rollback. Don't expect nothing, the game is done.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:06 am

Meito wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:50 pm On Dragon Ball Games social account they are advertising the DB Battle Hour 2023 event. As for FighterZ there is only the finals logo. I sincerely hope that at the end of the finals Hiroki-san will announce something other than another tournament...

I don't know why you bought a PS4 for a multi-platform game that gave you a choice of 3 different platforms day 1, but ok.

As for support for the game, the last DLC character came out almost a year ago & the last DLC before that was 11 months before that one. I don't know why you're surprised at all. This game's support wouldn't last forever, unlike Xenoverse 2's which seems to never end so they can make an actual 3rd game despite how many times they said it would by now. Unless they plan on making a sequel, I wouldn't expect anything more than the upcoming PS5 & Series X/S ports as well as the netcode rollback.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:13 pm

DBFZ officially confirmed for EVO 2023. It would be cool if rollback netcode was released before that.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:29 am

Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:24 am

Has anything bwen announced yet regarding a ps5/xs release? Wasn't that supposed to release in Q1?

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:05 pm

Jord wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:24 am Has anything bwen announced yet regarding a ps5/xs release? Wasn't that supposed to release in Q1?
They never gave a timeframe for the PS5/XS release.
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.