Deep Thoughts: The Piccolo Daimao Saga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Deep Thoughts: The Piccolo Daimao Saga

Post by Super Sonic » Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:27 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:11 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:39 am
Tambourine also implies the father bear was dead in episode 106, contradicting the sounds and movements he was making (even in Funimation's dub) that made it clear he was alive and was merely hurt by Tambourine.
Unless i'm mistaken, i seem to recall the edited Toonami broadcast of FUNi's dub of this episode using different lines in the above scene.
Apparently the edited dub changed "Giran was a job, your father I killed for fun" to "Giran was a job, your father I did for fun"

https://web.archive.org/web/20040103191 ... ep106.html

Not surprising since I'm pretty sure Toonami had a strict "no saying the word kill" policy that only DBZ seemed to be allowed to break and only sometimes.
YYH got away with it too when it got moved to Toonami, but it was really enforced on the Bandai shows like Gundam and Outlaw Star. sometimes it would be replaced with "destroy" but oftentimes they would replace "kill" with something else that seemed to imply non-lethality.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:01 pm

Super Sonic wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:27 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:11 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:39 am

Unless i'm mistaken, i seem to recall the edited Toonami broadcast of FUNi's dub of this episode using different lines in the above scene.
Apparently the edited dub changed "Giran was a job, your father I killed for fun" to "Giran was a job, your father I did for fun"

https://web.archive.org/web/20040103191 ... ep106.html

Not surprising since I'm pretty sure Toonami had a strict "no saying the word kill" policy that only DBZ seemed to be allowed to break and only sometimes.
YYH got away with it too when it got moved to Toonami, but it was really enforced on the Bandai shows like Gundam and Outlaw Star. sometimes it would be replaced with "destroy" but oftentimes they would replace "kill" with something else that seemed to imply non-lethality.
Even in Z though they weren't forced to do things like the infamous "next dimension" cover up like the syndicated days under Saban's S&P policies anymore they still couldn't say kill or die during the Toonami run except for rare exceptions.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:33 pm

That's not censorship, it's Broadcast Standards and Practices. Censorship only applies to government action.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.