Could there be an inner struggle happening within Toei and/or the Dragon Ball department?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Could there be an inner struggle happening within Toei and/or the Dragon Ball department?

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:03 am

Looking at what DBSSH is...
It's a 90% CGI movie from a franchise that's typically always been hand-drawn, where the usual main characters are almost entirely absent and don't play any part in the actual plot, with the focus instead being placed on characters who certainly do have quite sizeable fandoms, but aren't as universally iconic as Goku and Vegeta. I feel like the movie was kind of like an experiment to see if making a drastically different kind of Dragon Ball could be a viable strategy. Which might also explain why it got less advertising and no proper theme song. They weren't willing to 100% commit to an experimental movie, perhaps.

But, it's the second-most successful film in the franchise's history. If it was indeed meant to test the waters for a different approach to DB, I'd say it was quite plainly a success.

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Could there be an inner struggle happening within Toei and/or the Dragon Ball department?

Post by YMK_8000 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:02 pm

Vegard Aune wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:03 am Looking at what DBSSH is...
A Complete and utter steaming pile of hot dogshit from the pen of a man who probably can’t remember much less write his own name?

Vegard Aune wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:03 am It's a 90% CGI movie from a franchise that's typically always been hand-drawn
The Slam Dunk movie disproves that it out grossed supershitro in 2 weekends & it had always been hand drawn.
Vegard Aune wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:03 am I feel like the movie was kind of like an experiment to see if making a drastically different kind of Dragon Ball could be a viable strategy. Which might also explain why it got less advertising and no proper theme song. They weren't willing to 100% commit to an experimental movie, perhaps.
No Toei actually used their damn brains and realized this film was a disaster on every conceivable level and said fuck that bullshit I’m out.
Vegard Aune wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:03 am If it was indeed meant to test the waters for a different approach to DB, I'd say it was quite plainly a success
It wasn’t which is why we still don’t know the budget and Toei never made an official announcement on its “success” cause even those out of touch bastards knew this was a mess. DB doesn’t need a different approach stick to what worked in Broly.

This is why ppl didn’t show up to theaters for this. In business, in life, what ppl appreciate the most is dependability. One day same as the next. Or DB case one movie same as the next. Not some hey look we are making a Jank n64/claymation db movie after delivering a masterpiece in Broly. & to think they had over 700 animator working on this garbage at one point yet it was a dud at the box.

capsulecorp
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by capsulecorp » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:15 pm

YMK_8000 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:02 pm A Complete and utter steaming pile of hot dogshit from the pen of a man who probably can’t remember much less write his own name?
YMK_8000 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:02 pm No Toei actually used their damn brains and realized this film was a disaster on every conceivable level and said fuck that bullshit I’m out.
It wasn’t which is why we still don’t know the budget and Toei never made an official announcement on its “success” cause even those out of touch bastards knew this was a mess. DB doesn’t need a different approach stick to what worked in Broly.
YMK_8000 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:02 pm This is why ppl didn’t show up to theaters for this. In business, in life, what ppl appreciate the most is dependability. One day same as the next. Or DB case one movie same as the next. Not some hey look we are making a Jank n64/claymation db movie after delivering a masterpiece in Broly. & to think they had over 700 animator working on this garbage at one point yet it was a dud at the box.
This is a horrible post dude. You're just spewing hatred and, frankly, childish nonsense and wasting all of our time.

It's not my place to tell you that you're not welcome here, but as far as I'm concerned, you're not.

YMK_8000
Not-So-Newbie

Post by YMK_8000 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:27 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:43 pm Super Super Hero was a failure you guuuuuys

https://erzat.blog/one-piece-and-dragon ... of-fy2023/
It’s barley edging out One Piece this FY2023 when for 5 years straight DB was kicking its ass as a franchise.
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:43 pmNo really

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/article/ed2473657348/
Not the victory you think it is for starters Broly never had a full proper release like the avg movie in North America. It was a limited run in January 2019 for about a month I believe yet still made a modest amount of money while this new mess only made what 8 million more with more than double the screens & more time in theaters. Plus the competition was weak it released along side that awful Idris Elba film.Unlike it’s other anime contemporaries on Toei having to deal with real strong blockbusters like Wakanda Forever and Avatar Not even gonna mention the % the theaters and Funimation take off the top which mean less money netted.
MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:43 pmA failure
.https://www.siliconera.com/dragon-ball- ... nime-film/
The title of this article is misleading. Counting America only sure it’s correct. But making the headline sound like it’s the fifth all time WW when it doesn’t even break into the top 40 anime films of all time reeks of clickbait.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:30 pm

Damn, I wish I got paid as much money as you do to shill Dragon Ball.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:56 am

YMK_8000 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:02 pmA Complete and utter steaming pile of hot dogshit from the pen of a man who probably can’t remember much less write his own name?
You're probably the first guy I've seen who hated a movie while also angry that it didn't make more money. I don't think you would be satisfied with any outcome. If it grossed more than Broly, you would probably argue a worse movie didn't deserve it.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:20 am

DBS Super Hero in my opinion was a great movie, the only flaw is making Goku dumb. That is something Toei needs to stop doing.

As for the cinema, hardly anyone goes in my country ever since COVID. When I went to see DBS Super Hero, there was only 5 or 6 people in the first week on Saturday.

However this applies to ever movie, it never gets a lot of people. Then again it cost £10 each for the cinema with nothing included. The cinema is small and the chair can't move like in other country.