"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xeogran
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Xeogran » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:43 am

I predict we might get to play as Young Piccolo in the next DLC and see what he has been up to, how his training looked like and all.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:25 am

Trouser wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:50 am I wonder is EoZ is going to be a DLC too... Would be cool to play as adult Trunks and Goten. Or Pan. Or Uub. Or everyone.
Well, the upcoming DLC will a have a budokai arena so I can see them reusing it for future DLC.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:59 pm

Has anyone datamined the loading screens yet of the new DLC?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:44 pm

Be aware that you might encounter the following glitches, which I've encountered myself (they won't block your progress though):

- When fighting in the training room with the post-credit secret character, you and your opponent might go out of bounds through the ground. It won't prevent you from continuing your fight normally despite being out of bounds and things will get back to normal in the next cutscene.

- When replaying the story, scripts will always be missing during the gameplay sequence when you get out of the bar after being laughed at and you have to go through the long corridor. Therefore, you will always just slowly walk through the hallway without any vision or dialogue. Replayed the chapter twice to see if it was constant and it is, so these specific visions from the future and associated comments by Bardack are a one-time only thing for your first playthrough and you'll never get to see them again in subsequent playthroughs (unless they fix this with a patch).

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:22 am

How is the Bardock DLC? I am gonna buy it anyway, but without heavy spoilers, it is just the Episode Of Bardock as in the TV Special or is there something more to look forward to?

Anyway, hell yeah for 23rd Budokai! Few games have adapted it thanks to the character models being basically the same as for the Saiyan arc and thanks to DB games being solely focused on Kid Goku era and models and Z adapting solely the Z portion of story, this arc was mostly skipped. I am so happy, that I am going to buy the Season Pass right away.

This gives me hope for the next DLC to be the End Of Z and closing this game as probably the best adaptation of the series in video game format.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:29 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:22 am How is the Bardock DLC? I am gonna buy it anyway, but without heavy spoilers, it is just the Episode Of Bardock as in the TV Special or is there something more to look forward to?

Anyway, hell yeah for 23rd Budokai! Few games have adapted it thanks to the character models being basically the same as for the Saiyan arc and thanks to DB games being solely focused on Kid Goku era and models and Z adapting solely the Z portion of story, this arc was mostly skipped. I am so happy, that I am going to buy the Season Pass right away.

This gives me hope for the next DLC to be the End Of Z and closing this game as probably the best adaptation of the series in video game format.
From what I can tell, it just adapts the original Bardock TV special.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:03 pm

Quick question for people who own the upgraded PS5 version:

Any changes to the field models of the characters? Personally, I never had a problem with Goku's face, but was it improved or adjusted at all? What about the shading/coloring?

Thanks in advance.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:46 am

Haven’t finished it yet, but giving the Saiyans a bit more bacstory, mainly the Bardock team will make their demise even more tragic.

I was kinda hoping for some Minus crossover after what they did with Trunks, but honestly, adapting the original from 90s is perfectly fine and stays true to the anime.
I am also happy, that we didn’t got the SSJ Bardock, as I am not a fan of this idea nor the story.

All and all, the latest two DLCs make the BOG and ROF content such a wasted opportunity and in case of BOG even worse.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:51 am

Some more notes:

- Judging from the final "super cutscene" in the DLC (the prerendered ones that get added to your notebook), those are using the base versions of landscapes, with transparent water, dirty brown mud and "radioactive"/fluorescent green grass. While we can guess that they didn't want to rework the "super cutscenes" that were already done, there could be several reasons why newly-added "super cutscenes" use the last-gen landscapes: maybe the DLC's "super cutscenes" were made before the next-gen changes were done, or they are simply made those scenes to apply to all versions of the game (including the last-gen versions) and therefore use the base landscapes as a common base.

- A glitch will happen - maybe only on replay though, just like the "missing scripts" DLC glitch I mentionned before - when Freeza is beating up Nail: right after Ginyu has been defeated, Krilin will use a mysterious teleportation or astral projection power to witness what is happening with Freeza and Nail. The first exposition shot of the cutscene will show him hovering in place a few meters away from them, silently watching how things are going for their battle. He is not seen in following shots due to the camera placements.
Mr Baggins wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 4:03 pm Quick question for people who own the upgraded PS5 version:

Any changes to the field models of the characters? Personally, I never had a problem with Goku's face, but was it improved or adjusted at all? What about the shading/coloring?

Thanks in advance.
Models of the characters are the same from what I can tell. Overall lighting and shading look like they have been improved, including the way they are shown on models in greater detail. Either they applied way more lighting/shadows or it's simply the improved resolution that makes them stand out more. Basically up to four levels of shades on the characters, I mean for example on Goku's arms, face or boots you will see four different shades of the same color depending on the level of lighting/shadowing that various parts receive. Transition from one shade to the next is sometimes clear-cut in a clear line (anime style) and sometimes, for some of them, having a subtle gradient effect.

Sun/light flares are present. Rainbowish circles might appear on some angle, and water might make moving light lens strongly reflect on the camera depending on the angle (very striking when Gohan is coming back with Vegeta's Dragon Ball on Namek and detects him coming, deciding he has to hide - a downward angle pointing the camera at the sea creates very strong, natural light lens on a quarter of the screen due to the light bouncing off the moving waves).

Colors have been noticeably corrected for landscapes: the water is blue instead of transparent, the earth is dry, light brown instead of that dark brown that made it look like unappealing wet mud, paths in nature are more yellowish instead of dark brown (looking more like the way people usually color paths), and the radioactive/fluorescent green of the grass has disappeared for a more natural shade of green. For the models, I can't say if colors have been adjusted, but I doubt it.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:26 am

Cold Skin wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:51 am *snip*
Ahh, very detailed reply. Much appreciated!

When I do get a PS5, I'm almost certain to make the upgrade at this point even if some graphical improvements are relatively minor. Good to know.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:53 am

So, Bandai Namco put out a plan for the Series X/S version of the game to correct the bug of old save data not working with the new version of it.
https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/dragon-bal ... nouncement
Thank you very much for your continued support of Bandai Namco Entertainment products.

On January 13, 2023 we announced that the Xbox Series X|S version of "DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT " and the Xbox One/Xbox Series X|S versions of " -BARDOCK- Alone against Fate" and "Season Pass 2" were postponed.

We would like to inform you of the measures we are currently planning to take to ensure that the game can be played normally. Below are instructions on a solution that will be available to all affected players. We will provide an update about when these changes are implemented as soon as possible.

Planned Updates on the Issue

For those users who have been experiencing issues with the game becoming inoperable due to technical problems when upgrading from Xbox One to Xbox Series X|S, we will offer a separate download of the Xbox One version of DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT game data* from the store.

Once the separate download is available, users who originally had saved data from the Xbox One version will be able to upgrade their saved data by launching the newly downloaded Xbox One version of "DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT ".

After the save data upgrade, users will be able to play the game using their original save data on the Xbox Series X|S version of "DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT ".

Once users go through the above process, the Xbox One/Xbox Series X|S version of the DLC "-BARDOCK- Alone against fate" and "Season Pass 2" will be available for purchase.

*Game data refers to the application data of the main game and is different from game save data.
So, basically rather than update the Series X/S version of the game to be able to convert 8th gen save data to work with it, their solution is to allow people to download the 8th gen version with the game's latest patch & convert their save data in THAT version rather than update the 9th gen version to be able to do it. The logic escapes me as to why & they've found the most inconvenient workaround possible. It also isn't said what people who only own the disc version of the game can do. Will we just be able to re-install the game from the disc, or what? :wtf:

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:47 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:26 am When I do get a PS5, I'm almost certain to make the upgrade at this point even if some graphical improvements are relatively minor. Good to know.
Don't worry, the numerous graphical updates are enough to make someone want to play through the whole game and all DLCs if you have a 4K screen. Improved resolution and/or improved framerate (depending on the graphical mode you choose), new crisp textures in the environment, new appealing landscape colors, added landscape elements to make it all more "alive" (extra packs of flowers, extra grass tufts, grass bits being carried away by the wind...), fully reimagined water, new shading/light effects, 5-seconds loadings and so on...

Don't underestimate how it will make your experience more appealing and make you want to dive in for another round! 8)

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:47 pm

Just bought and downloaded the Chinese version of the Bardock DLC for Nintendo Switch this week. Loving it so far. Took a look at my save file and found it hard to believe that I haven't the game since July 8th, 2022. Lol
The world is your's.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:05 pm

It's been over a week. I keep waiting for them to announce the shit for Xbox, but they keep not doing it.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:03 am

Damn, somehow I stopped in the middle and can't force myself to finish the DLC.
I lack the excitement somehow... can't wait for 23rd Budokai arc tho!

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:21 am

Some more info as I continue my current-gen playthrough:

- It seems the "slideshow" recap pictures that show up sometimes when the devs didn't want to animate cutscenes use the old graphics as a base, with the old versions of landscapes.

- Unsurprisingly, the "maximum cutscenes" that are stored in your encyclopedia were not re-rendered, they definitely use the old versions of landscapes as well, which is very noticeable for example when Future Trunks goes to everyone to tell them he has killed the cyborgs ("radioactive" green grass, transparent water, muddy brown ground, overall lack of vegetation...).

- A glitch will happen when everyone follows Trunks to learn who he is in the present: Gohan, as the player character of this section, is seen being slowly lifted from the ground in a static position (as if an invisible platform was lifting him up) when Trunks is flying to his next location and guiding everyone. This is the game actually placing Gohan so that he can land right in front of Trunks in the next shot, but you are not supposed to see him, there's probably some "make the player character invisible" script that is not activated by the game. This is likely similar to the glitch I mentionned regarding Krilin on Namek.

- Sometimes, a character's default line when fast-traveling to a location will be triggered during a cutscene when the location is done being loaded. This can have side effects such as skipping a text box prematurely.
In my case, when Chichi orders Goku and Piccolo to have a driving license, you are taken to West Capital. When the scene started, Goku's arrival line from when you fast-travel there triggered, and this caused the game to skip the narrator's dialogue box after a few words when Goku's line ended, as it considered it reached the end for any line being currently read.
At the end of the Cell arc, it happened again: when the game plays the prerendered cutscene of Gohan announcing Goku's death to Chichi, you are actually already in West Capital game-wise for the next scene (with the prerendered scene in Goku's house being there to avoid a loading screen). Because of that, when showing Goku's house, Gohan suddenly had a line about Bulma out of the blue as if you'd just traveled there in free roam, something along the lines of "I wonder how Bulma's doing" or "Maybe I could go and check Bulma's house".

- Even if you try to unequip side characters, some story sequences are apparently meant to make them trigger their strongest transformation in store. While this doesn't have any consequence most of the time, it will make Vegeta - as an ally - go Super Saiyan Blue against the Cell Juniors if you replay this chapter, even if you've unequiped his "Auto Blue" skill.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:55 am

They finally launched the fix for the Xbox version of this game. Took them long enough.

https://en.bandainamcoent.eu/dragon-bal ... boxUpgrade
How to install XBoX Series X Updgrade on DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT
Thank you for your continued support of Bandai Namco Entertainment.

We are happy to inform our player community that we have resolved the issue identified on Jan 13that was preventing players from upgrading the game “DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT” to the Xbox Series X|S version.

A patch coming on Feb 3 resolves this issue by taking the actions, outlined below.

Notes
To execute the following procedure, users need to have an internet connection and more than 50GB of storage to download the game upgrade and data for the conversion.

Instructions
1. Please connect the Xbox Series X|S console to the internet.
2. Please update the Xbox Series X|S version of “DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT” to the latest version.
3. Please launch the Xbox Series X|S version of “DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT” and select the profile that has the save data you want to transfer.
4. Confirm the following messages and select “Yes.
5. Please select “Yes” when you see the following messages.
6. Once you select “Yes,” you will be automatically taken to the Microsoft Store screen*.
7. Select the “Get for Free” button at the bottom left of the store screen. Please select the “(For Upgrade) DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT” game data.
8. The installation of “DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT for conversion” will begin.
9. After installation is complete, please launch “(For Upgrade) DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT” and select the profile that has the save data you want to transfer.
10. Please select “Continue” and read the save data slot that you want to transfer.
11. After loading, when the game starts, please open the main menu and select “Save” in the “System.” Please save the data in the same place as your prior save by selecting “Yes” when asked if you want to overwrite the data.
12. Please repeat the above tasks (10-11) for all of the save data slots you want to transfer.
13. After completing the above procedure, please shut down “(For Upgrade) DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT” and launch the Xbox Series X|S version of “DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT”.
14. After selecting the profile with the newly transferred saves, you will see the game data can now be read.
15. After successfully transferring the save data, please select “Continue” and play the game.

※ How to convert the Auto-save slot for Upgrade
In order to convert the save data in the auto-save slot, please execute one of the following after loading the save data, instead of overwriting the data into the slot.
(1) Open the main menu and change the party members from "Party".
(2) Obtain an item somewhere in the field and consume it.

If you do either of the above, the auto-save will be executed automatically and the auto-saved data can be loaded in the Xbox Series X|S version.

※ In the case where the following messages appear
"Failed to load. You must update to the latest version of the game to load."

It means the conversion of the save data in the slot you have selected has not been completed yet. If this happens, please launch “(For Upgrade) DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT” and complete tasks 10-11 in the appropriate slots.

*If you wish to continue playing the online version of “DRAGON BALL Card Warriors” from the Xbox One version, you can do so from the main menu of “(For Upgrade) DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT”.

*If you have completed the save data transfer, and no longer wish to play the online version of Card Warriors, you may delete the game data of "(For Upgrade) DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT".

How to re-download the game data of “(For Upgrade) DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT”

For players who have accidentally deleted (For Upgrade) DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT game data before the transfer is complete, please follow the below instructions:

1. Select “My Collection” from the Xbox Home Screen
2. From the menu on your left, please select “Full Library” and select “Owned Games”
3. Select “(For Upgrade) DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT”
4. Please hit the banner above the “Play” icon
5. Players will be taken to the store page of “(For Upgrade) DRAGON BALL Z: KAKAROT” and can select “Install, already owned this product” and download it.

DLC ”Additional Scenario:-BARDOCK- alone against fate”
As this patch solves the current issue, we will resume sales of the new DLC “additional scenario: -BARDOCK- Alone against fate” and products including this DLC. For players waiting to play this DLC, we truly appreciate your patience.
I've said it before & I'll say it again. The most convoluted workaround for a problem that shouldn't have existed to begin with.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:08 pm

Some more notes as I'm progressing into the final episode of the Boo arc soon:

- The "casual line thrown in" glitch I mentionned before will apparently happen when Goku teleports to stop Boo and Babidi and reveal Super Saiyan 3: he will say a cheerful line of arrival on the map when the cutscene starts and he's not even appeared by teleportation yet, when the general mood is not too cheerful at that specific moment.

- For some reason, when Boo manages to exit the Room of Space and Time, the whole sanctuary environment and characters will be subject to an overblown, very bright bloom effect that is not usually there.

Other than that, all DLC adventures so far seem to be ones that extend the main Z storyline rather than venturing into the "alternate timelines" of the movies.
Based on that, I'd say DLC 3 has a chance to either be the Garlic Junior filler arc, the Other World Tournament filler arc or the Epilogue. And I bet among those three, it's going to be the Epilogue, a way to save on resources by having almost no new environment to create - only character models - and also a way to wrap up the game's content by making you visit all characters and perhaps have one final quest with each of them. Though I don't see how they could come up with six new "super cutscenes" to add on a new page of the notebook with the Epilogue...

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:33 pm

Something I've noticed already is that the more cinematic cutscenes, despite using the in-game models & environments are still 30FPS & noticeably low resolution for no reason. I have no idea why this is.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:09 pm

^ It's probably to save on data space. As I stated before, those low-res cutscenes have been fully re-encoded for the current-gen to include the newest versions of landscapes. So since they made the extra effort to re-encode them all, they could have chosen to use a better resolution - and possibly a higher framerate - while they were at it and yet they didn't.

This would mean that it's their choice to keep the framerate and resolution at the lowest acceptable level, which I can only guess is to save on the space it takes in the data, avoiding to increase the game size by many Gbs.

As a reminder, there are no less than five different types of scenes in the game, and they are not treated with the same care:

- "Dialogue boxes" scenes, which follows a step-by-step script very similar to old RPGs and that the player can either let play or move at his own pace by validating each dialogue box and speeding up the various preset scripts being played if they want to. It's the regular full-res 4K gameplay, just with an automated set of basic actions for the camera and various elements involved.

- Real-time timed cutscenes, which play at max 4K resolution and behave just like modern games' regular cutscenes, with no influence from the player possible except skipping it all, so no dialogue boxes, subtitles take over. Depending on moments and scenes, characters might show more complex moves and facial expressions, and the scene might involve many more elements on the screen. Sometimes, it is also simply used to avoid loading screens between two different places.

- Prerendered timed cutscenes, which follow the same principles but are actually just a video. Those are willingly endoded with much lower display specs than what the game displays in real-time on current-gen. People already noticed them on previous gen, but this is even more striking on the current gen, as aliasing suddenly appears all over the screen, all over the landscapes and all over the characters, whereas the other scenes are crisp without a single irregularity being visible on any line, any bit of hair or any bit of grass. Those prerendered cutscenes are probably the N°1 reason why changing costumes is not a thing, so that it doesn't create sudden discrepancies between real-time and prerendered assets.

- Prerendered "super cutscenes", which look like they are full resolution despite being prerendered and are the most epic cutscenes, usually with extreme care taken in the direction, more complex camera movements, subtle facial expressions, unique movements and animations, and so on. Those specific scenes become accessible afterwards on your notebook. Those prerendered scenes could be another reason why there's no possibility to wear the costumes you want when you want it, for the same "discrepancy" reason.

- DLC finishers, a mandatory impressive way to conclude some DLC fights with a cutscene that can be just as impressive as a "super cutscene", but keeps the fight assets on screen (health bars, "FINISH" text, etc...) so that it blends in with the rest of the fight. But all in all, it is still basically a story cutscene that could have been shown after the fight but is blended in instead. It only happens on specific fights of the various DLCs (there are seven of them so far), as the devs probably hadn't thought of it yet when creating the base game.

All in all, I would say the levels of cutscenes go as such:

- Level 1
---"Dialogue boxes" scenes: minimal staging, but maximum display specs.
---Prerendered timed cutscenes: intermediate staging, but subpar display specs.

- Level 2
---Real-time timed cutscenes: intermediate staging, maximum display specs.

- Level 3
--- DLC finishers + Prerendered "super cutscenes": maximum epic staging, maximum display specs.