Non-thread-worthy discussions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Non-thread-worthy discussions

Post by Grimlock » Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:31 pm

Xeogran wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:51 pmInteresting question.

Maybe he never grew to become that smart because of the world being afraid of Androids. You know, with society collapsing it means you have less chance to focus on what you want.

Witnessing the Androids' destructive nature on TV could have scared his young self from constructing anything dangerous, unlike his present timeline version.
But if he witnessed anything through the TV, he might have witnessed Gohan too, which could have inspired him to like super heroes, which is what leads him to build the Gammas in the first place.

At any rate, wouldn't be "poetic" or just ironic if Hedo actually had built the Gammas to defeat his grandfather's androids!? What a fun little twist of fate.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:31 pm

The thing is when you spend all your time just trying to survive, that doesn't exactly encourage educational development. Considering his age, is it even guaranteed he'd have been born? He came into the world after the androids, right? But even if he was alive, he wouldn't have had the time or resources to surpass Gero.

The real question is what happened with Beerus in Trunks' timeline. He was told about the Super Saiyan God by the Oracle Fish before going to sleep, right? Why didn't he come to Earth looking for Trunks?

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:40 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:31 pm The real question is what happened with Beerus in Trunks' timeline. He was told about the Super Saiyan God by the Oracle Fish before going to sleep, right? Why didn't he come to Earth looking for Trunks?
He died when Goku Black (Anime) or Babidi/Dabura (Manga) killed Shin.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:26 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:31 pmConsidering his age, is it even guaranteed he'd have been born?
Yes.
ZeroNeonix wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:31 pmHe came into the world after the androids, right?
Like I said before, he was nine years old when the androids appeared. He was born in AGE 758. The androids appeared in AGE 767.
ZeroNeonix wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:31 pmHe was told about the Super Saiyan God by the Oracle Fish before going to sleep, right? Why didn't he come to Earth looking for Trunks?
I don't think so. No Trunks appeared to save Goku in that timeline, so there would be no reason for Oracle Fish to make such prediction. If the Oracle Fish did make any sort of prediction, he probably said something different than what he said in the present (like, instead of "in thirty nine years...", he said a completely different amount of time), which could explain why Beerus didn't go to Earth in AGE 778 or in any other year, apparently.

Come to think of it, I think this is the first (and only, to the best of my knowledge) time that something is different prior to the split of timelines. Everything that happened in the present also happened in the Trunks timeline too, up until the beginning of Cell saga, where the split happens. But the Oracle Fish's thing might have been different in the future, for reason already stated.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:39 pm

I just saw this, and I must say it was pretty good. Sadly though it just shows that Masako Nozawa needs to retire. I definitely prefer the American VA in this scene.

https://youtu.be/KwUqls79560

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:17 pm

Did Funimation ever explain why we never got the Dragonbox for the Movies or DragonBall?
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Lance Freeman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lance Freeman » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:24 pm

Raki wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:17 pm Did Funimation ever explain why we never got the Dragonbox for the Movies or DragonBall?
Poor sales of the original DBox sets, I guess. But they always marketed the original DBoxes being for sub fans only so I don't know what they were expecting sales wise?

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:35 pm

Lance Freeman wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:24 pm
Raki wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:17 pm Did Funimation ever explain why we never got the Dragonbox for the Movies or DragonBall?
Poor sales of the original DBox sets, I guess. But they always marketed the original DBoxes being for sub fans only so I don't know what they were expecting sales wise?
Dragonbox 2 went through a second printing. Ebay and Amazon prices for the Dragonboxes are all north of 200 dollars per set. There is no way sales were low.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:13 am

Raki wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:35 pm
Dragonbox 2 went through a second printing. Ebay and Amazon prices for the Dragonboxes are all north of 200 dollars per set. There is no way sales were low.
The sales themselves were probably fine. I'm sure they met whatever sales projection Funimation had for them. But Dragon Ball doesn't sell nearly as well as Z and it probably wasn't worth the investment the way it was for Z.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:16 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:13 am
Raki wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 11:35 pm

The sales themselves were probably fine. I'm sure they met whatever sales projection Funimation had for them. But Dragon Ball doesn't sell nearly as well as Z and it probably wasn't worth the investment the way it was for Z.
Understandable. But DBZ money has probably paid for numerous anime for Funimation that didn't sell a dime. Also they have no excuse against a movie collection.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:44 pm

Raki wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:16 pm Understandable. But DBZ money has probably paid for numerous anime for Funimation that didn't sell a dime. Also they have no excuse against a movie collection
Without knowing sales figures it would be hard to say but I wouldn't be too surprised if the Z movies pre-BOG just didn't sell well enough compared to what the tv series sold to justify importing the dragon boxes. Purely conjecture but I always got the impression before Battle of Gods none of the movies were really high profile in the US the way, for example, the first 3 Pokemon movies were.

You're right Dragon Ball Z probably does make them enough money to afford some losses with other licenses but that doesn't mean they're going to do it. We're here in the year of our Kami 2023 and we still dont even have Blu Ray releases of Dragon Ball or GT because Funimation deemed them not worth the effort.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:15 pm

It bothers me that since the day DBS last episode aired until today, we've never had a guide book like Daizenshuu for this same series.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

ATA
Beyond Newbie

Post by ATA » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:36 am

Noah wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:15 pm It bothers me that since the day DBS last episode aired until today, we've never had a guide book like Daizenshuu for this same series.
Maybe since interviews are accessible now with online translations, we can treat interviews like we treat the Daizenshuu?
May Your Heart Be Your Guiding Key

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:38 am

Perhaps this is a minority of people, but does anyone find it weird whenever people say that Vegeta should turn into an old man when he got SSJ4?
Likely it is due to Goku (somehow) turning into an adult whenever he uses that form, so they expect it to age up the person who uses it, regardless of how old they are. But I always saw it like Shazam (or at least the movie), in that they just get their physical body at their possible peak regardless of their age.
You can certainly argue that SSJ4 is not explained well enough, but this one I feel is a bit obvious to understand. Again, I could be overthinking this but that's been something that's been on my head every now and then.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:29 pm

In the anime, Goku and Vegeta spend more than a minute, or at least long enough, talking and wondering how could they keep Buu entertained while Goku powers up to his fullest in order to kill him, and discussing other matters, too... while Buu was just fooling around, dancing or something, and is interrupted by Vegeta's attack. :lol:
Seemed like Goku could've just use that break to power up, or leave Buu alone, he wasn't going after them anyway. Should check the manga, probably that scene is less dilated.
Wrigglything wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:38 am Perhaps this is a minority of people, but does anyone find it weird whenever people say that Vegeta should turn into an old man when he got SSJ4?
Likely it is due to Goku (somehow) turning into an adult whenever he uses that form, so they expect it to age up the person who uses it, regardless of how old they are. But I always saw it like Shazam (or at least the movie), in that they just get their physical body at their possible peak regardless of their age.
You can certainly argue that SSJ4 is not explained well enough, but this one I feel is a bit obvious to understand. Again, I could be overthinking this but that's been something that's been on my head every now and then.
I've never seen anybody argue that. They would be completely off the mark as well, a new form that draws out the user's potential shouldn't age them. Goku becomes an adult because his child body probably couldn't contain all that power, it was already failing when using SS3, and was strong enough to overrode the wish. Vegeta's body was already capable of withstanding SS4's power.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:47 pm

Wrigglything wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:38 am Perhaps this is a minority of people, but does anyone find it weird whenever people say that Vegeta should turn into an old man when he got SSJ4?
I would find it weird if I ever saw anyone say that. But I honesty never once in the last 22ish years that I've seen Dragon Ball online discourse ever seen anyone ever suggest this idea. Ever.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:26 pm

The real question is would Goku/Vegeta age in reverse, if they transformed into SS4 as old men. lol

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:53 pm

Some character design sheets going around on Twitter from my favourite DB movie:

Always loved the blue highlights that Base Goku/Gohan hairs have in Bojack Unbound.
Not exclusive to his movie, but I also loved the different tones DBZ had for Super Saiyans with aura and without aura.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:38 pm

The next character Dragon Ball website says they'll talk about will be Whis' younger brother.

I don't remember if it was ever given an age to these characters, clarifying who's older than who, though I seem to have a vague memory of somewhere saying Vados is older than Whis. But at any rate, curious to see who is younger than Whis.

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:10 am

Grimlock wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:38 pm The next character Dragon Ball website says they'll talk about will be Whis' younger brother.

I don't remember if it was ever given an age to these characters, clarifying who's older than who, though I seem to have a vague memory of somewhere saying Vados is older than Whis. But at any rate, curious to see who is younger than Whis.
I'm guessing Merus.