Theory: The Beast Form is Gohan's "SSJ2" equivalent of Ikari as Ultimate (and also his SSJ4)

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Theory: The Beast Form is Gohan's "SSJ2" equivalent of Ikari as Ultimate (and also his SSJ4)

Post by Rafa Fast » Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:21 pm

I know the title sounds bizarre as hell and even laughable, and I'm not sure if someone else already came with this theory, but allow me to explain.
So everyone claims that Gohan Beast looks very similar to his SSJ2 form when was younger, but what if it's actually indeed his SSJ2 form, but at the same time, not?
Everyone knows that when Gohan goes Ultimate, he stays in base form, as Ultimate isn't exactly a transformation but rather the full potential of his base, which also is the fp of his character as a whole, which also explains why he doesn't go SSJ1/2 while he's Ultimate, because it won't change anything (or would even be unfavorable)
So with this in mind, it wouldn't even make sense he get a new transformation which allows him to surpass the power of his Ultimate, but what if actually he did break that wall?
Dai Kaioshin awakened his true potential, but at the times of the Cell Saga, his true potential also was SSJ2
Now let's switch to Broly, before going SSJ, Broly's full potential was actually his Oozaru Form, then he goes Ikari, a form that is actually the Oozaru but without really needing to go Oozaru, but it's still a transformation, Broly eyes changes color, and becomes spiky, resembling a lot A SSJ hair, he even gets a colored aura, and gets to the point of even almost being SSJB level.
Now let's go back to Gohan, and see his Beast form.
:thumbup: hair grows larger and gets spiky
:thumbup: eyes change
:thumbup: colored new aura
And more, Gohan Beast until now doesn't have anything special in particular, he doesn't have god ki, or acts in a way like Ultra Instinct or something, or any special technique related to him, he's just another stronger new form that needs to be awakened through fury, you know what other form is exactly like this? SSJ2, awakened through a strong spark of fury and is just a strong new form.
So my guess is, Gohan Beast is actually Gohan's Super Saiyan 2 + his Ultimate, but actually working, but since Ultimate doesn't allows Gohan to increase his power level by his transformations, he needed to somehow break through this rule, and the results are he going SSJ2 without needing to tranform, just exactly like Broly going Oozaru without transforming into one, but that still results in he changing his appearance, and while for Broly, got a new aura color, new color for eyes, hair shape changed but its color remained the same, for Gohan he got everything but also got a hair color change, very probably because SSJ2 not only is a stronger form than Oozaru, but also changes hair/fur color, while Oozaru keeps the same black pattern, this + the break of the rule established by the Ultimate power up, resulted in a weird mix of colors similar to the Limited color manga SSJ colors, with a purple-ish aura, these weird colors schemes achieved by Gohan and Broly could represent them going beyond what regular Saiyan transformations allow, Goku and the others never got anything else than Gold (& Green eyes), he and Vegeta needed to get SSJG, SSJGSSJ, Ultra Instinct and Ultra Ego, and all of these forms definitely are something that anyone could achieve, they aren't unique to them in theory, Broly is a mutant, Gohan is one as well, and he passed by two very specific rituals, so both of them achieved a level that nobody could touch yet, it's still unknow how to achieve, unlike Goku, Vegeta and Trunks' transformations, which everyone know the methods.
It's like if Ikari and Beast were the SSJ4 for Gohan and Broly, and I say that because many believe that SSJ4 isn't exactly a Super Saiyan, but rather a totally new form that is called "SSJ4" only for the sake of it, a "controlled" version of the Golden Oozaru, so SSJ4 is pretty much Goku and Vegeta going Golden Oozaru but not transforming, but in the end, their appearances still change, and I believe it's the same for Beast and Ikari, they are trying to transform into SSJ2 and Oozaru, but due to their Mutated Potential Powers, they can't, instead they are able to use the powers of these forms, but visually in its place, they get a total new look, the results are unique new forms achieved only by them, which goes beyond the regular Oozaru and Gold saiyan transformationsm they are something new.
This could explain why Beast Gohan isn't considered a Super Saiyan form, neither Broly's Ikari, because they doesn't belong to the know casual Saiyan transformation system and evolution, and God forms as well. Gohan trying to go SSJ2 could also explain why when he goes Beast, it looks very similar to when he tranformed into SSJ2 for the first time.
And that's it, what do you guys think?
Interesting theory or I should go home cause I'm drunk?
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Re: Theory: The Beast Form is Gohan's "SSJ2" equivalent of Ikari as Ultimate (and also his SSJ4)

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:14 pm

I can get behind "Beast" being an amalgamation of his Ultimate State and SS2, If anything it makes the most sense in describing what exactly happened. The Ultimate Power Up gave Gohan access to his full power without the stress of a true physical transformation but that Unlocked Potential state isnt natural to him either, it was gift from a magical/Divine being. His natural progression being part Saiyan is to transform as he gets stronger, and while Zenkais might not be the way to gain strength anymore after a certain point, I think regardless of what rituals you go through overtime your "potential pool" will naturally increase but because Gohan was constantly at a " start and stop" pace with his training he could never tap into his increased well of power without the right emotional trigger which in the case with Super Hero was seeing Piccolo being nearly killed AGAIN due to his ( Gohan's) inability to help. So what happened was I think his body forced a transformation to take place breaking through the gift of the Ultimate Power up thus reaching a weird hybrid state
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Theory: The Beast Form is Gohan's "SSJ2" equivalent of Ikari as Ultimate (and also his SSJ4)

Post by Rafa Fast » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:48 am

goku the krump dancer wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:14 pm I can get behind "Beast" being an amalgamation of his Ultimate State and SS2, If anything it makes the most sense in describing what exactly happened. The Ultimate Power Up gave Gohan access to his full power without the stress of a true physical transformation but that Unlocked Potential state isnt natural to him either, it was gift from a magical/Divine being. His natural progression being part Saiyan is to transform as he gets stronger, and while Zenkais might not be the way to gain strength anymore after a certain point, I think regardless of what rituals you go through overtime your "potential pool" will naturally increase but because Gohan was constantly at a " start and stop" pace with his training he could never tap into his increased well of power without the right emotional trigger which in the case with Super Hero was seeing Piccolo being nearly killed AGAIN due to his ( Gohan's) inability to help. So what happened was I think his body forced a transformation to take place breaking through the gift of the Ultimate Power up thus reaching a weird hybrid state
Isn't natural and was given by a divine being.....doesn't almost all of the Kaioshins have white hair? (IIRC I think the only exception is that one who makes Boo transform into Ultra Boo)
Beast Gohan also have a white-ish hair, and the way his hair looks like, specially that giant single bang, it's almost like it's trying to mimic the Kaioshins hairstyle! Damn you sure got a point
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:23 am

I prefer to see Beast as a unique quirk of Gohan's genetics without any rational explanation for it beyond that. I see it as similar to Gohan's first manifestation of Super Saiyan 2, which I still struggle to see as just a "normal" SS2*, as well as every other absurd power boost he's ever gotten thanks to his explosive temper. Those human-Saiyan genes are nothing to scoff at. The film closely parallels Beast Gohan with Orange Piccolo, and both forms are manifestations of the respective warriors' "truest potential" so that's kinda how I see it. Yeah, Gohan already had his potential unlocked (twice), but he always needs a spark of rage to truly awaken the beast inside him. So yeah, in a sense, it's kinda like Super Saiyan 2, Ikari, etc. but tailored specifically for him.

Maybe Toriyama was listening to Johnny Cash when he came up with the idea for this form.

*Funnily enough, the artist of the Super Dragon Ball Heroes manga seems feel the same way, because in a scene where Bojack winds Gohan up by claiming to have murdered Pan, Gohan's enraged Super Saiyan 2 transformation in the battle resembles an adult version of its Cell saga design rather than looking like an ordinary Super Saiyan with electric sparkles as it has in every subsequent arc. It's kinda like a weird preview version of Beast.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:41 pm

I like this. It actually explains why his hair changes despite Ultimate not really being a transformation. I think there might also be a relation to Trunks' own SSJ Ikari since both are rage transformations of hybrid power. Trunks, consciously or not, was mimicking SSJB with the aura; Gohan was mimicking the Kaioshins or maybe his father's UI form.

Going with the manga, the "SSJ4" (i.e. a whole new thing unrelated to SSJ) angle might be more likely. Gohan told Kefla he's evolving as his own person after all, so it makes sense he'd get a new form exclusive to him.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:47 pm

The form's design throws a nod to SS2 Kid Gohan, but it doesn't stop there. Based on what we know so far, the form is related to Gohan's emotional bursts of power from when he was a kid, those ones that happened before SS was a thing for him. I think the more likely explanation is that the form derives from Gohan's unique combination of Saiyan and Earthling blood, his righteous although kind nature and enourmous pool of potential. It's basically a fusion of all Gohan life stages.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:26 am

Rafa Fast wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:21 pm which also explains why he doesn't go SSJ1/2 while he's Ultimate, because it won't change anything (or would even be unfavorable)
Was it ever confirmed that going SSJ won't change anything? Or is it more like there is no need to go SSJ because he is already very strong? I'm lost when it comes to Ultimate because even official media seemed to not know what this 'form' is for a long time, threating it either as a transformation or permanent boost to base power. Early BoG version apparently had Ultimate Gohan going SSJ and he was even on early poster but they changed it in final release. When he fought Kefla in manga he said he is not going to transform into SSJ because he chose different way to improve, but didn't say he can't or it's not going to give him anything. Before DB revival i always just assumed it's a permanent boost to base power, but DBS uses it as a transformation, kinda like SSJ4 that is not exactly a Super Saiyan form but is used instead of them, unlike SSJ God which is used with SSJ to become Blue.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:23 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:41 pm I like this. It actually explains why his hair changes despite Ultimate not really being a transformation. I think there might also be a relation to Trunks' own SSJ Ikari since both are rage transformations of hybrid power. Trunks, consciously or not, was mimicking SSJB with the aura; Gohan was mimicking the Kaioshins or maybe his father's UI form.

Going with the manga, the "SSJ4" (i.e. a whole new thing unrelated to SSJ) angle might be more likely. Gohan told Kefla he's evolving as his own person after all, so it makes sense he'd get a new form exclusive to him.
I forgot Trunks, well, I would be even more specific and say that he tried to achieve the God Ki, he's already in a SSJ state, explaining why the aura is blue rather than red/flames. I could think if maybe it has something to do with Vegeta's Enraged SSJ2 from when he fights Beerus.
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:23 am I prefer to see Beast as a unique quirk of Gohan's genetics without any rational explanation for it beyond that. I see it as similar to Gohan's first manifestation of Super Saiyan 2, which I still struggle to see as just a "normal" SS2*, as well as every other absurd power boost he's ever gotten thanks to his explosive temper. Those human-Saiyan genes are nothing to scoff at. The film closely parallels Beast Gohan with Orange Piccolo, and both forms are manifestations of the respective warriors' "truest potential" so that's kinda how I see it. Yeah, Gohan already had his potential unlocked (twice), but he always needs a spark of rage to truly awaken the beast inside him. So yeah, in a sense, it's kinda like Super Saiyan 2, Ikari, etc. but tailored specifically for him.

Maybe Toriyama was listening to Johnny Cash when he came up with the idea for this form.

*Funnily enough, the artist of the Super Dragon Ball Heroes manga seems feel the same way, because in a scene where Bojack winds Gohan up by claiming to have murdered Pan, Gohan's enraged Super Saiyan 2 transformation in the battle resembles an adult version of its Cell saga design rather than looking like an ordinary Super Saiyan with electric sparkles as it has in every subsequent arc. It's kinda like a weird preview version of Beast.
Hugo Boss wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:47 pm The form's design throws a nod to SS2 Kid Gohan, but it doesn't stop there. Based on what we know so far, the form is related to Gohan's emotional bursts of power from when he was a kid, those ones that happened before SS was a thing for him. I think the more likely explanation is that the form derives from Gohan's unique combination of Saiyan and Earthling blood, his righteous although kind nature and enourmous pool of potential. It's basically a fusion of all Gohan life stages.
For me it's hard to believe that it doesn't have anything to do with the Ultimate power and Kaioshin's ritual.
Mirai Gohan literally saw all of his friends dying, and everything he got was only a regular SSJ (and with a regular SSJ I mean indeed a very regular SSJ, the first one from Namek, rather than "FULL POWER" from late Cell saga)
Also about Orange Piccolo, we know exactly what he is, or at least what he's supposed to be, it's pretty much explicit with he merging with other two Namekians (one being his other half), and wishing for Shenlong to make him stronger.
Let's think about it, if Gohan also made the same wish, would it make him achieve the Beast form? Exactly, we don't know, so in my opinion, it goes beyond from only being something to do with the fact that he's a hybrid, I think it's definitely related to the Kaioshin ritual or something else.
sunsetshimmer wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:26 am
Rafa Fast wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:21 pm which also explains why he doesn't go SSJ1/2 while he's Ultimate, because it won't change anything (or would even be unfavorable)
Was it ever confirmed that going SSJ won't change anything? Or is it more like there is no need to go SSJ because he is already very strong? I'm lost when it comes to Ultimate because even official media seemed to not know what this 'form' is for a long time, threating it either as a transformation or permanent boost to base power. Early BoG version apparently had Ultimate Gohan going SSJ and he was even on early poster but they changed it in final release. When he fought Kefla in manga he said he is not going to transform into SSJ because he chose different way to improve, but didn't say he can't or it's not going to give him anything. Before DB revival i always just assumed it's a permanent boost to base power, but DBS uses it as a transformation, kinda like SSJ4 that is not exactly a Super Saiyan form but is used instead of them, unlike SSJ God which is used with SSJ to become Blue.
TBH my bad, the mystery about Gohan being able to go SSJ while he's in Ultimate is the weakest part of my theory, I just don't know if he can or can not do it as I also don't know if it would change anything.
BoG's case is really weird indeed, we all know.
You actually forgot, but "Ultimate SSJ Gohan" is still in the movie. When the ritual happens and everyone go SSJ, Gohan does it too and it have the bang. And yes I can confirm that it's "Ultimate SSJ Gohan" because when Adult Gohan have that haircut from BoG, he isn't supposed to have a bang in front of his forehead when he go SSJ, you can see that in GT and in Super, the only exception is Fukkatsu no F, but in that movie he doesn't have the same haircut.
It's either that or it's a design error (won't call it animation error, because for me animation error only happens in short frames, Ultimate SSJ Gohan's case is a whole scene)

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:49 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:23 pm
Hugo Boss wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:47 pm The form's design throws a nod to SS2 Kid Gohan, but it doesn't stop there. Based on what we know so far, the form is related to Gohan's emotional bursts of power from when he was a kid, those ones that happened before SS was a thing for him. I think the more likely explanation is that the form derives from Gohan's unique combination of Saiyan and Earthling blood, his righteous although kind nature and enourmous pool of potential. It's basically a fusion of all Gohan life stages.
For me it's hard to believe that it doesn't have anything to do with the Ultimate power and Kaioshin's ritual.
Mirai Gohan literally saw all of his friends dying, and everything he got was only a regular SSJ (and with a regular SSJ I mean indeed a very regular SSJ, the first one from Namek, rather than "FULL POWER" from late Cell saga)

Also about Orange Piccolo, we know exactly what he is, or at least what he's supposed to be, it's pretty much explicit with he merging with other two Namekians (one being his other half), and wishing for Shenlong to make him stronger.

Let's think about it, if Gohan also made the same wish, would it make him achieve the Beast form? Exactly, we don't know, so in my opinion, it goes beyond from only being something to do with the fact that he's a hybrid, I think it's definitely related to the Kaioshin ritual or something else.
I think you misunderstood my point. I didn’t say it has nothing to do with his Ultimate form or that it doesn’t go beyond his half-blood status. I said it is a fusion of Gohan’s life stages (the rage power he used in Saiyan and Freeza arcs + SS2 + Ultimate). The closest example is his fight against Freeza, after he had all his power drawn out he still had hidden power that he could access with emotions.

Now that Gohan can transform to many levels he managed to evolve his potential unlocked form to something more extreme and unique with rage, which he can control at last.