Deep Thoughts: Dead Zone

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Deep Thoughts: Dead Zone

Post by ABED » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:41 pm

I'm making this a separate post because my Vegeta/Saiyan Saga one is getting long.

So, the film either doesn't have a title like what fans call "Led Zeppelin IV" or it's "Return My Gohan". Dead Zone doesn't have much to do with the story beyond how the heroes are able to defeat Garlic Jr., but it's a much better title than the Japanese title.
This is the first DBZ movie I ever got, and I was super excited because it was a "movie", so I was expecting something longer. Instead it's the length of two episodes, so I was a little disappointed. That said, the movie has become one of my favorites. It's quick, action packed, and doesn't overstay its welcome. Unlike some other DBZ movies, this does feel like Dragon Ball. The scene where Goku is able to dodge the attacks and the weapons of Garlic Jr.'s henchmen is a highlight. The other is seeing Piccolo get revenge on one of the goons. What is the music that plays during that scene? That's one of my favorite set ups for an action scene – getting beat up earlier in the story after getting hit by a surprise attack and teamed up; then later in the story the hero gets them one on one and makes them look like a chump who's only capable of looking tough if they get a cheap shot and an unfair advantage. There's not much else to say because there's not much to the film. Garlic Jr. is an okay villain but it was a brilliant choice to have him achieve immortality and end up with a fate worse than death. Immortality isn't all it's cracked up to be.
I spot checked the redub and it's mostly fine with the exception of a few unnecessary changes. Not sure why they didn't simply reuse the old script.

Voice Actors:
As much as I'm a fan of Shigeru Chiba, I have to give the nod to Akira Kamiya. Not sure why exactly. Maybe it's simply because I hear Chiba in a lot of roles and a different actor is refreshing. I'm getting a little ahead of myself though. Chuck Huber is fine, but he's better at a Pilaf than Garlic who is just his Pilaf voice but more maniacal evil than benign goofy incompetent evil.

Random Thoughts
When Goku hits his chin on the railing makes me wince.
It feels so good seeing Piccolo get revenge on those goons.
Drunken Gohan is adorbs.
Poor Kuririn suffers the indignity of getting pissed on – literally. It's also the beginning of the running gag in these movies where Kuririn getting hit in some humiliating manner.

Home Video:
The choice to release this film alone but the next two films as part of a box set bugs me. It's a middle finger to FUNi's customers. I think I've purchased this damn movie five times –
1. Dubbed VHS
2. Pioneer DVD
3. Ultimate Uncut DVD
4. FUNi redub of movies 1-3 box set
5. Movie 1 and 2 DVD steel book.
Last edited by ABED on Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Deep Thoughts: Dead Zone

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:52 pm

The song during Piccolo vs. Sansho is m811, one of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yaa381CYuU

Really, the whole Movie 1 soundtrack might be Kikuchi's best work in the whole show
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:01 pm

Pioneer's dub in conjunction with the Ocean cast, along with Z movies 2 and 3 is by far some of THE best dubbing/scripting that Dragon Ball anything has ever recieved in English with Kai 1.0 just behind it. This really shows what the direction for an uncut dub of Z at the time separate from the edited syndication version could've looked like.

Also, the Big Green dub of this movie like all the others is hilarious levels of so bad it's good comedy:

"Good lord, it's God!!!"

"Did they say why, did they SAY!!!!!"

"Magic Baton, go to work."

""Isuspectedthatyouwerebehindallthistroublewhenwasitthatwelastmet300yearsagoIknowthatyoustopatnothingtosatisfyyourevildesiresandinthatIrecognizetheinfluenceofyourfatherthespittingimage!"
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:34 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:52 pm
Really, the whole Movie 1 soundtrack might be Kikuchi's best work in the whole show
Agreed 10000% I'm really glad a lot of it was recycled for the Saiyan saga after Vegeta and Nappa arrived on earth. Though it's a damn shame that the awesome Makafushigi Adventure/Piccolo's theme medley never found it's way on the series.
ABED wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:41 pm Dead Zone doesn't have much to do with the story beyond how the heroes are able to defeat Garlic Jr., but it's a much better title than the Japanese title.
Disagree. Return my Gohan is fun to say in an angry Nozawa Goku voice. Dead Zone just makes me think of the Stephen King book. The Japanese movie titles will later get more long and random so it's nice this one had a short memorable title that has something to do with the movie.
I spot checked the redub and it's mostly fine with the exception of a few unnecessary changes. Not sure why they didn't simply reuse the old script.
Especially since Ward Perry (the writer for the Ocean version) was still contributing scripts for the UUE dub that was being done at the same time. But Eric Vale nearly using the exact same script and just adding and changing a few lines here and there works too....I guess?

It's a middle finder to FUNi's customers. I think I've purchased this damn movie five times –
Not Dragon Ball related but I know I've purchased first Child's Play film 4 different times so I can relate to that frustration.

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:45 pm

Likely due to haven't heard in such a long time, I preferred Jaken as Garlic Jr over his Pilaf. Forget the actor's name, but he was Jaken on Inuyasha.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:01 pm

What I love about this movie is that the enmity between Goku and Piccolo is actually there. It's not "acted out" like later on in the show, or just verbalized, they are actual enemies by the time this movie landed, so them teaming up is a big deal. I would even say I enjoy this more than their fight vs Raditz.

I got the same vibes from the first time Goku and Vegeta worked together vs the Ginyu.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:09 pm

Koitsukai wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:01 pm What I love about this movie is that the enmity between Goku and Piccolo is actually there. It's not "acted out" like later on in the show, or just verbalized, they are actual enemies by the time this movie landed, so them teaming up is a big deal. I would even say I enjoy this more than their fight vs Raditz.

I got the same vibes from the first time Goku and Vegeta worked together vs the Ginyu.
It works especially considering this goes together with where they left things after Goku had defeated Piccolo at the 23rd Budokai and considering the change which was to come after with the latter training Gohan and his emotional sacrifice not long after.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:31 pm

I always loved the fight choreography in this movie.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.