How would you react if "El Hermano" became an actual storyline in the future?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

XenoSaiyan
Banned Alternate Account

How would you react if "El Hermano" became an actual storyline in the future?

Post by XenoSaiyan » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:53 pm

The DragonBall franchise has become more and more influenced by fandom culture since Battle of Gods. Superhero has already basically canonized "Gohan Blanco" and "Cell Dorado" 🤣, so what if they unironically take other memes to use for the series?
Last edited by XenoSaiyan on Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How would you react if "El Hermano" became an actual storyline in the future?

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:58 pm

After googling that it was Jiren related I'd probably react with a yawn.

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: How would you react if "El Hermano" became an actual storyline in the future?

Post by PurestEvil » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:00 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:58 pm After googling that it was Jiren related I'd probably react with a yawn.
Anything Jiren related should involve giving Jiren more compelling and distinguished character traits. I doubt that the “el hermano” concept would do so, though.
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:00 pm

I’m not sure I’m convinced that Gohan Beast was deliberately based on the Gohan Blanco meme, but Dragon Ball is huge in Latin America, so I guess it’s not out of the realm of possibility that someone at Toei may have been aware of it, and nudged Toriyama to include it to try and appeal to the fans over there.

As for El Hermano, if they made that concept canon, they might as well do El Grande Padre while they’re at it.

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:26 pm

Might sound crazy, but I'm actually all for a take on El Hermano. I've actually brought him up a couple of times before, so maybe I can quote myself...
Alruneia wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:56 pm Well, since the title says improve, not replace...
The one who killed Jiren's family and friends was none other than his own older brother Touvus! Jiren's race have quite the lifespan, so Touvus is about a century older than Jiren, and thus he had time to become that strong. But that's not the main point here.
You see, the Pride Troopers in their current form are not the original Pride Troopers. Many years ago, the first group of Pride Troopers was formed, with Touvus as the leader. Their uniforms were blue instead of red, but otherwise the same as the current Troopers' uniforms. This group attempted to protect Universe 11 from evil, and managed to do so for several years, until they faced an unwinnable battle. All but Touvus perished in the fight, Touvus himself barely escaping alive. Over the next twenty years, Touvus trained his body and mind past every limit, before returning to slay the monster who had destroyed his group. However, over the course of his extreme training, Touvus lost his humanity, his emotions. Nothing mattered to him after that one victory, and training and destruction was all he knew. This led to his eventual attack on his own home village. The idea of the Pride Troopers became legend and was later reused to create the modern group, while Touvus himself became a villain just like the ones he used to defeat, a villain Jiren is now continually training to fight against. Jiren despises people abandoning their values because of what happened when Touvus lost sight of his.

...What, did you expect to have this kind of thread without anyone mentioning El Hermano (named Touvus here) at some point? :P
...Apparently I've mostly just written about my own take on El Hermano, and there's definitely details that need to be edited there. :P Not too much about the effects and consequences of including his character, though. He would obviously be the Raditz to Jiren's Goku, but he could also be a kind of living proof of what it means to break through absolutely every limit ("I have attained something beyond strength"). He needs some kind of motive in order to drive a story arc as the villain, though, and I don't know what that would be. I've imagined he'd be the kind of villain who seeks out strong people to test them (see how strong they can possibly get) and kills weak people/people who have peaked indiscriminately, so he's fascinated with Jiren because he's strong but not done growing... but that's not the thickest plot in the world, that's for sure. I dunno, but in general I am for it.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link