On the Status Quo and Possibility that the DBS Manga arcs are “Filler”

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

On the Status Quo and Possibility that the DBS Manga arcs are “Filler”

Post by jamiljamtheman » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:04 pm

I realized recently that since the ToP, every arc or movie in DBS starts and ends with the status quo of “Goku and Vegeta are on Beerus’s planet and perpetually training”.

I realized that this is how the jump between ToP -> Broly -> Super Hero is seamless even without taking the Moro and Granolah sagas into account. Similarly, both of those sagas, despite giving Goku and Vegeta new strengths or forms, put everything back into this relative “status quo”.

This leads me to have less confidence that we’ll ever see these manga arcs leave the pages of the manga into animation. What do you guys think?

Bonus: the SDBH anime also starts with this status quo post-ToP, but has long since gone off into its own timeline that is irreconcilable with either DBS timeline.

Miracles
I Live Here

Re: On the Status Quo and Possibility that the DBS Manga arcs are “Filler”

Post by Miracles » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:45 am

What is your relationship with the Dragon Ball Super anime?

Toyotaro: "At this point, I'm not very involved with it. I think going forward, I'll be more involved, but at this point in time, I actually receive more information from the anime team than I give to them. The anime is a little bit further along than I am, but in the near future I'll be ahead, so the information will be going back to them. Regardless, we'll continue to support one another as we go forward."

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interv ... ou/.107579

Back when Toriyama-sensei was drawing the manga, the animators would use his manga panels as reference, imitating the composition and things like that. And now it seems that the animators are likewise using Toyotarō-sensei‘s manga as reference.

Toriyama:Oh, that’s good! That should keep them on track!

Toyotarō: Really?… I still can’t believe I lucked into this job (sweat)

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... b-version/

The DBS manga is far from filler.