Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Super Hero Box Office Thread

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:31 am

Skar wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:19 pm You said average shonen film but those two aren't the average since that leaves out all the others released after Demon Slayer. If you look at the last 100 shonen films released, only a few made over $100 million.
While thats true but Demon slayer was really a game changer in my opinion, before demon slayer DB broly was still the biggest shonen movie and 2nd biggest was one piece stampede but after DS movie things changing.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:23 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:31 amWhile thats true but Demon slayer was really a game changer in my opinion, before demon slayer DB broly was still the biggest shonen movie and 2nd biggest was one piece stampede but after DS movie things changing
Well that information is available online so we can doublecheck. The highest Broly ever reached was #11 or #12 and now it's #15. #1 anime film was Spirited Away from 2001 to 2020.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:42 am

Skar wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:23 am Well that information is available online so we can doublecheck. The highest Broly ever reached was #11 or #12 and now it's #15. #1 anime film was Spirited Away from 2001 to 2020.
Thats all time movie ranks, but as a shonen only movie broly used to be the highest grossing movie(122 million) and then came stampede (93 million) but after DS the next two shonen movie RED made 246 million as of now which is the 2nd biggest shonen movie and 4th in terms of all time grosses go and then JJK 0 (196 million )which is 3rd biggest shonen movie and 7th as far as all time grosses go

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:30 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:42 amThats all time movie ranks, but as a shonen only movie broly used to be the highest grossing movie(122 million) and then came stampede (93 million) but after DS the next two shonen movie RED made 246 million as of now which is the 2nd biggest shonen movie and 4th in terms of all time grosses go and then JJK 0 (196 million )which is 3rd biggest shonen movie and 7th as far as all time grosses go
Oh ok I wasn't sure if some of the standalone anime films were shonen or not. I know Case Closed is shonen and some grossed more than Stampede. There's still Slam Dunk, MHA, etc that didn't get over $100 million so going by two of the highest of all time wouldn't be considered "average". It would like saying the average super hero film should make over $2 billion when only the last two Avengers made that much.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:29 am

So at the end of the day, Broly only made 22% more than Super Hero at the box office and that was all in a pre-pandemic society to boot, so Super Hero basically performed incredibly well considering the disadvantageous position it had.

I really underrated how much people were willing to show up, despite the shoddy marketing of this movie. Of course it seems the US has helped it massively to reach this milestone, compared to Broly and its underperformance in Japan in particular needs to be adressed by the next movie.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:36 am

Kinda off topic but have anyone here saw the puss and boots the last wish? That movie was amazing, really caught me offguard

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:00 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:36 am Kinda off topic but have anyone here saw the puss and boots the last wish? That movie was amazing, really caught me offguard
I haven't, but I've heard a lot of people who saw it felt the same. Maybe this will bode well for that fifth Shrek movie, which has apparently been in the pipeline for.... Donkeys years.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:29 pm

dbgtFO wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:29 am So at the end of the day, Broly only made 22% more than Super Hero at the box office and that was all in a pre-pandemic society to boot, so Super Hero basically performed incredibly well considering the disadvantageous position it had.

I really underrated how much people were willing to show up, despite the shoddy marketing of this movie. Of course it seems the US has helped it massively to reach this milestone, compared to Broly and its underperformance in Japan in particular needs to be adressed by the next movie.

I agree on the marketing department. What the fuck was up with that? Horrible. Only thing I’ll give them credit for is hiding gohans form, well, at least for the Japanese audience.

I still wouldn’t talk about this as “broly only making 22% more”. Instead, I view this as DBS being extremely good after the cancellation of the anime. People probably had high hopes after broly and decided to give this movie a chance despite it being CGI, and As far as I’ve seen throughout the internet, Broly and Super Hero are loved by even the biggest dbs haters.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Thu May 11, 2023 3:07 pm

Acording to DBHype on youtube, Super Hero made 13.8 Billion Yen world wide and is the top 1 DB Movie, is that true or is just BS?

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu May 11, 2023 3:59 pm

YamiGoku wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:07 pm Acording to DBHype on youtube, Super Hero made 13.8 Billion Yen world wide and is the top 1 DB Movie, is that true or is just BS?
It made slightly more than Broly in yen but about 30M less in dollars, as the yen is heavily devalued right now.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Fri May 12, 2023 8:14 am

Yuji wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:59 pm
YamiGoku wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:07 pm Acording to DBHype on youtube, Super Hero made 13.8 Billion Yen world wide and is the top 1 DB Movie, is that true or is just BS?
It made slightly more than Broly in yen but about 30M less in dollars, as the yen is heavily devalued right now.
Oh... I forgot about the Yen, Thanks.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Fri May 12, 2023 9:06 am

Skar wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:30 pm Oh ok I wasn't sure if some of the standalone anime films were shonen or not. I know Case Closed is shonen and some grossed more than Stampede. There's still Slam Dunk, MHA, etc that didn't get over $100 million so going by two of the highest of all time wouldn't be considered "average". It would like saying the average super hero film should make over $2 billion when only the last two Avengers made that much.
Slam Dunk new movie grossed 232 million as of now and suzume gross passed 300 million. DB is really falling behind (movie wise).

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat May 13, 2023 3:22 am

Mr_CINDER wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:06 amSlam Dunk new movie grossed 232 million as of now and suzume gross passed 300 million. DB is really falling behind (movie wise).
Yeah it was pretty impressive that grossed more than Broly and SH combined! I guess there isn't as much demand for DB. It's still successful but only above average for an anime film not breaking any records or reaching $200 million.

Mr_CINDER
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mr_CINDER » Sun May 14, 2023 9:23 am

Skar wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:22 am Yeah it was pretty impressive that grossed more than Broly and SH combined! I guess there isn't as much demand for DB. It's still successful but only above average for an anime film not breaking any records or reaching $200 million.
Yeah DS infinity train movie was the major game changer for anime movies INMO.

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Mon May 15, 2023 9:22 am

Skar wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:22 am
Mr_CINDER wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:06 amSlam Dunk new movie grossed 232 million as of now and suzume gross passed 300 million. DB is really falling behind (movie wise).
Yeah it was pretty impressive that grossed more than Broly and SH combined! I guess there isn't as much demand for DB. It's still successful but only above average for an anime film not breaking any records or reaching $200 million.
I still think the Slam Dunk movie isn't a fair comparison because it's not a new movie it's just adapting the last arc of the manga. Slam Dunk is in the top 10 best selling manga of all time and due to a series of complicated circumstances, including some copyright stuff, that last arc never got an anime. Imagine if the Buu Arc was never animated and somehow over 20 years later it was. The hype would be off the charts!

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Mon May 15, 2023 10:39 pm

MuscleRobo wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:22 amI still think the Slam Dunk movie isn't a fair comparison because it's not a new movie it's just adapting the last arc of the manga. Slam Dunk is in the top 10 best selling manga of all time and due to a series of complicated circumstances, including some copyright stuff, that last arc never got an anime. Imagine if the Buu Arc was never animated and somehow over 20 years later it was. The hype would be off the charts!
That's interesting! I didn't know it was adapting the last arc and I thought it was a standalone film. The highest grossing for Detective Conan and NGE were in the same range as SH and Broly so I expected Slam Dunk to be around there. It makes more sense now if it was something fans were waiting to see adapted.

Kazuya Mishima
Banned

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Tue May 16, 2023 2:34 pm

Mr_CINDER wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 9:06 am
Skar wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:30 pm Oh ok I wasn't sure if some of the standalone anime films were shonen or not. I know Case Closed is shonen and some grossed more than Stampede. There's still Slam Dunk, MHA, etc that didn't get over $100 million so going by two of the highest of all time wouldn't be considered "average". It would like saying the average super hero film should make over $2 billion when only the last two Avengers made that much.
Slam Dunk new movie grossed 232 million as of now and suzume gross passed 300 million. DB is really falling behind (movie wise).
Thing with those is that the money is coming all from one or two countries. Like that Slam Dunk, 90% of its money came from just Japan, China and South Korea.

Dragon Ball made less but made money in countries all over.

If the movies were bigger in Japan and China they could hit $200 million.