Dragon Ball Movies Available in HD

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

roseofpain

Dragon Ball Movies Available in HD

Post by roseofpain » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:29 am

I'm not sure if everyone is aware of this, but the first seventeen DB/Z movies are available in HD on Prime Video Japan.

If anyone's interested, I can post screenshots to compare some of them with the Dragon Box DVDs.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Movies Available in HD

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:16 am

roseofpain wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:29 am I'm not sure if everyone is aware of this, but the first seventeen DB/Z movies are available in HD on Prime Video Japan.

If anyone's interested, I can post screenshots to compare some of them with the Dragon Box DVDs.
They have been available for a while, but thank you for the update! I know they had a slightly less HQ version before posting a higher bitrate version so I say throw a few caps up to see if they're still the same :D

Are they still not using the HQ audio?

Pride9000!!!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pride9000!!! » Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:56 pm

roseofpain wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:29 am I'm not sure if everyone is aware of this, but the first seventeen DB/Z movies are available in HD on Prime Video Japan.

In 2018 Toei released the Movies and TV specials in HD.
They are a significant upgrade over the original D-boxes and light years better than funnies blu-rays. They released it on streaming (later with a better encoding). They were also released on blu-ray unfortunately DNRed, but had higher quality audio (from the laserdisc). Unfortunately many of them suffer from "The Toei Tint" where things are colored super green or yellowish. This is currently the highest quality that we can watch for movies and TV special. This master at the moment has not been released in north america. Because we can't have good things.

roseofpain

Post by roseofpain » Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:07 pm

Pride9000!!! wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:56 pm

They are a significant upgrade over the original D-boxes and light years better than funnies blu-rays. They released it on streaming (later with a better encoding). They were also released on blu-ray unfortunately DNRed, but had higher quality audio (from the laserdisc). Unfortunately many of them suffer from "The Toei Tint" where things are colored super green or yellowish. This is currently the highest quality that we can watch for movies and TV special. This master at the moment has not been released in north america. Because we can't have good things.
If the Blu-rays have DNR, then the VOD would be the best choice. You could also swap out the audio from it with the audio tracks from the BD.

Also, you mentioned that the audio was taken from the Laserdisc but what about DB Movies 01-03?

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:27 pm

Hasnt Toei censored the remastered movies?
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

Pride9000!!!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pride9000!!! » Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:00 am

roseofpain wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:07 pm
Pride9000!!! wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 1:56 pm

If the Blu-rays have DNR, then the VOD would be the best choice. You could also swap out the audio from it with the audio tracks from the BD.

Also, you mentioned that the audio was taken from the Laserdisc but what about DB Movies 01-03?
Fans of dragon ball have already synchronised the streaming version (video) and the audio from the blu ray + the 2 english funny dubs (kikuchi eng dub, eng dub with the replacement score). They are also currently working to fix the colours (I cannot tell you where to find those releases because it's against the rules of this forum but you can find them online)
Raki wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:27 pm Hasnt Toei censored the remastered movies?
For the streaming version no but for the blu ray version yes https://www.kotaku.com.au/wp-content/up ... ze=720,405

dragonmagico
Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonmagico » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:42 am

Raki wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:27 pm Hasnt Toei censored the remastered movies?
A scene or two on bluray but not on web. And on bluray the only one that comes to mind is trunks flipping people off.

Also not all the blurays had bad dnr. Z movie 1 is over all better on bluray for example

roseofpain

Post by roseofpain » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:24 am

Were the blu-rays released as a box set?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:42 am

roseofpain wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:24 am Were the blu-rays released as a box set?
I haven't seen anything like that, no -- just the single-disc double features as originally released (well, triple feature in the case of the first three DB movies). The only recent home video releases have been Super Hero and then box sets of the Super TV series.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:47 am

Pride9000!!! wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:00 am
For the streaming version no but for the blu ray version yes https://www.kotaku.com.au/wp-content/up ... ze=720,405
Of course. The physical version has the green tint and is censored, but the streaming version is the good one. Of course. Because one way or another, Toei and Funimation are hell-bent on pushing fans away from the physical release in favor of streaming and even illegal means of watching/owning.

How is it that I can be willing to spend a bunch of money on a product, have it shipped from a foreign country, deal with everything that entails (had three Dragon Boxes that were a pain to get because they couldn't leave them at my door and kept trying to redeliver so going to the post office to pick them up was challenging too), and in the end, I'd still have an inferior product to what's on a streaming service or illegally available?

roseofpain wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:24 am Were the blu-rays released as a box set?
Mine came like this:

So, there's at least a box for the set... Just don't think it was released as one package. I could be wrong.
Last edited by TheGreatness25 on Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:51 am

I was about to edit that into my post, hah!

Yeah, you could buy the first Blu-ray (DBZ movies 1 & 2) to come with a box that would hold all the discs that would (at that point) still be coming out later.

It hasn't all, later after that, come out together as one complete package to purchase directly from the producer.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

roseofpain

Post by roseofpain » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:42 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:47 am
Mine came like this:

So, there's at least a box for the set... Just don't think it was released as one package. I could be wrong.
How many discs does each case hold?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:26 pm

roseofpain wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:42 pm
Mine came like this:

One disc each, two movies per disc except #8, which has the first three Dragon Ball movies.

roseofpain

Post by roseofpain » Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:42 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:26 pm
roseofpain wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:42 pm

Mine came like this:

One disc each, two movies per disc except #8, which has the first three Dragon Ball movies.
Last question, is this the only censorship that was made to the movies or is there more than that?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:02 am

roseofpain wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:42 am
Last question, is this the only censorship that was made to the movies or is there more than that?
You know, I honestly don't know. Truth be told, I haven't really watched them while paying attention. And even if I did, I would likely not notice unless it's something super obvious like that. I think someone else much more knowledgeable than me would be more qualified to answer.

I'm weird with releases--I own a bunch of stuff, but the only releases I saw all the way through were the movie single DVDs, the Dragon Ball singles, the Funimation Z Dragon Box, GT singles, Kai Blu-rays, and Super Blu-rays. All other releases that I have are pretty much to satiate my collector illness (as I call it). I've had some of these movies on in the background while doing other stuff.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:10 pm

I just checked out the Japanese Amazon Prime Video with VPN and I can't seem to find the Dragon Ball movies. Would I have search with the Japanese titles? Cuz searching for "Dragon Ball" sure gave me zero results.
The world is your's.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:56 pm

We have those masters in the French release too, so after having watched all movies, I can tell you that middle fingers is the only thing that was censored to my knowledge.

None of the violence has been toned down or anything.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:42 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:56 pm
We have those masters in the French release too, so after having watched all movies, I can tell you that middle fingers is the only thing that was censored to my knowledge.

And yet, that still bugs me. Not because I care about middle fingers--I'd be perfectly happy if they were never in the movies in the first place. It's just like... why? Why can't we just get a release without anything missing or anything blurred to or anything looking like it went down with the Titanic? Why? Why can't they just make a normal Blu-ray release? It's like re-releasing Batman Returns with a pink filter and cutting out the Christmas tree lighting scene. Just why?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:49 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:42 pm

And yet, that still bugs me. Not because I care about middle fingers--I'd be perfectly happy if they were never in the movies in the first place. It's just like... why? Why can't we just get a release without anything missing or anything blurred to or anything looking like it went down with the Titanic? Why? Why can't they just make a normal Blu-ray release? It's like re-releasing Batman Returns with a pink filter and cutting out the Christmas tree lighting scene. Just why?
What's even more baffling is they did this to the pricey BD's, the ones that the nostalgic collectors with disposable income are likely to purchase. OTOH the streaming editions of the movies are completely unaltered and not de grained or plagued with green color casts. It seems so backwards to me, that the BD version is the one that got edited in this minor form yet the VOD versions have no changes whatsoever.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:01 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:49 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:42 pm

What's even more baffling is they did this to the pricey BD's, the ones that the nostalgic collectors with disposable income are likely to purchase. OTOH the streaming editions of the movies are completely unaltered and not de grained or plagued with green color casts. It seems so backwards to me, that the BD version is the one that got edited in this minor form yet the VOD versions have no changes whatsoever.
That's what I'm saying! It's like Toei and Funimation are pushing fans away from spending money on physical releases.