Is Cell Max Stronger Than Broly?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

Is Cell Max Stronger Than Broly?

Post by theherodjl » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:24 pm

I am not at all aware if the team behind DBS: Superhero took the manga into consideration when hyping Cell Max out to be stronger than Goku & Vegeta. However, they likely at least used DBS: Broly as a reference as it was another anime production, so would that mean Cell Max is stronger than Broly? Or are they comparable? Because Goku & Vegeta got beat even in their SSJB forms by Broly, could Piccolo have been thinking of SSJB Goku & Vegeta when he made the statement of them not being able to handle Cell Max?
What makes sense here?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Re: Is Cell Max Stronger Than Broly?

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:02 pm

The movie does not address this directly, we only have Toriyama saying a Complete Max would be too much even for Broly. So the authorial intent, missing from the movie, puts movie Cell Max below Broly.

The movie also never hints at new forms for the saiyans or to the manga, so it stands to reason for the casual moviegoer that they can only turn SSB at most.
However, there’s nothing saying they don’t have higher forms. It’s up to the viewer I guess, the manga reader can easily assume the ultra forms are there even if they were mentioned. Whis’ “no forms, please” rule seems like a deliberate attempt to not touch that subject.

Piccolo was probably talking about a SSB team-up (I assume the boys in blue are of the highest SSB tier and currently above the Gammas and the Ultimate warriors) or perhaps them breaking their limits like during the ToP, or waiting on that miracle.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:41 pm

This question is being addressed, although indirectly, in this all-purpose strength discussion thread.

You may want to consider asking it there, because you probably will catch more attention.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:53 pm

Akira Toriyama himself has said not even Broly would’ve been capable of stopping Cell Max if he was completed according to plan, but since he wasn’t he became a mindless monster. In the movie, Dr. Hedo says Cell Max himself is already complete, but the mind control program isn’t. Meaning, Cell Max is stronger, but doesn’t know how to use his power properly and would likely lose in a fight.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:36 am

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:53 pm Akira Toriyama himself has said not even Broly would’ve been capable of stopping Cell Max if he was completed according to plan, but since he wasn’t he became a mindless monster. In the movie, Dr. Hedo says Cell Max himself is already complete, but the mind control program isn’t. Meaning, Cell Max is stronger, but doesn’t know how to use his power properly and would likely lose in a fight.
That's probably the best answer, keeping in line with how Tori is trying to develop how ki works in DBS.

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:05 pm

Black Frieza > Gohan Beast > Cell Max > UI Goku ~ UE Vegeta > Broly. Just my sense of things.

At the end of his movie, Broly reached his limits, and ultimately couldn't keep up with Gogeta. Since then, Broly has certainly gotten stronger through training. But Goku and Vegeta have been in life-and-death battles with Moro, Granolah, and Gas; and trained with angels and Beerus respectively. I think each of them has grown beyond Broly at this point (though if he were to fully rage out again, he could probably catch up).
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

Berserker1921
Advanced Regular

Post by Berserker1921 » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:01 am

It’s sort of implied in superhero. That broly had surpassed goku and Vegeta. Possibly, in between arcs training with the duo. He became stronger than them. So if anything, Cell Max is on par with broly. Maybe stronger if he could access his full power.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:38 pm

All these years later, and "Is Cell stronger than Broly" is still going strong. Thanks for keeping the flame alive, everyone. :clap: