Rebuilding the Dragon Ball Z Character Color Design Sheets for Color Correction

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Re: Rebuilding the Dragon Ball Z Character Color Design Sheets for Color Correction

Post by lansing » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:39 am

Lorium_O wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:42 am
lansing wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 8:32 pm The shared link was in the first post, I created 11 so far. It took a lot of time to rebuild one. If you have any scattered color code douga, please share it.
Now that I think about it, didn't some guy give his own douga in the cc thread?

Reminding you just in case you missed that.
I have those, those are just cel scan, there's no color codes.

Lorium_O

Re: Rebuilding the Dragon Ball Z Character Color Design Sheets for Color Correction

Post by Lorium_O » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:56 am

lansing wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:39 am I have those, those are just cel scan, there's no color codes.
I think I see them though, maybe try zooming in?
In case you got the wrong image.
-hello there

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:41 pm

Lorium_O wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:56 am
lansing wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:39 am I have those, those are just cel scan, there's no color codes.
Oh I thought that link was from a post few years back about a batch of cel scans, my mistake.

I see now that the image is actually really big, when I first saw it it was so small even when I clicked the "+" button.

Pride9000!!!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Pride9000!!! » Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:04 pm

This shot could look something like this https://imgsli.com/MTQ2NTYw

I think this thread has good intentions but it's not going to go anywhere realistically. The idea is interesting, of taking the exact measurement (of the colours) and apply them to the footage, but as many people pointed out you can't do that without getting artifacts. And please guys really stop using models to colour correct the footage.

Here is a short guide on how to correct the colours use a colour correcting/colour grading software. Fix the contrast and white balance of the image and change/shift the hues (use broadcast video, cels, charts... try to get as close as possible to the colours without creating artefacts, or making it look wrong) do this on a shot by shot basis and there you go. Its not hard, it's just takes time and its extremely tedious. Even if you decide from this moment on to do this. Other people will most likely release it sooner, and potentially even AB.

sorry for the rant..
Lorium_O wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:56 am
I have a pretty big digital collection of: cels, background art, charts. I'm going to try to release them soon.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:53 pm

Pride9000!!! wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:04 pm This shot could look something like this https://imgsli.com/MTQ2NTYw

I think this thread has good intentions but it's not going to go anywhere realistically. The idea is interesting, of taking the exact measurement (of the colours) and apply them to the footage, but as many people pointed out you can't do that without getting artifacts. And please guys really stop using models to colour correct the footage.

Here is a short guide on how to correct the colours use a colour correcting/colour grading software. Fix the contrast and white balance of the image and change/shift the hues (use broadcast video, cels, charts... try to get as close as possible to the colours without creating artefacts, or making it look wrong) do this on a shot by shot basis and there you go. Its not hard, it's just takes time and its extremely tedious. Even if you decide from this moment on to do this. Other people will most likely release it sooner, and potentially even AB.

sorry for the rant..

I have a pretty big digital collection of: cels, background art, charts. I'm going to try to release them soon.
I want to emphasize again that this thread is NOT about color correction. You don't see the effect now because the collection is not big enough yet. When we got to let's say 30+ character models, then people will start figuring things out.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:18 am

An update to the color chart:

I added a separate x-color chart and the a-color (あ) chart tables to the database. The x-color chart is now completed as the x-color on the STAC chart only contains up to x-30. The a-color were rarely used in dragon ball z and I only have 2/3 of the chart, but that should covers the entire show.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:30 pm

26 models added so far. It should have all the super saiyan 1 to 3 hair color/skin color. ssj1 and ssj2 share the same two models, the aura form and the non aura form. The non aura form can be tell by the white color on the hair. There are also two skin color set for them, the one with white as the base color only goes with aura form, while the other one can go into both.

Ssj3 has only one model. The ssj3 Goku in movie 13 uses a different palette from the TV version and it uses the Sun Color paint instead of STAC.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:32 pm

I just noticed that they used the wrong color palette for Goku in super saiyin form during the Cell Game battles. They were using his normal form model for his ssj form. And during the battle, you can see Goku's model switching back and forth.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:13 pm

Pride9000!!! wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:04 pm This shot could look something like this https://imgsli.com/MTQ2NTYw
Not adding much, I know, but this looks really nice lol
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:08 pm

I added a conversion table between the STAC and Sun Color color chart to the database. We should now be able to read color design sheets that were painted in Sun Color like some of the dragon ball movies and convert them to STAC color codes.

The data were sourced mainly from a conversion sheet by Toei. Codes that are not there in the table don't necessary mean that there are no equivalent colors, it only means that they are not yet discovered.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:45 pm

Models collection reaches 40.

Joujou
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Joujou » Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:05 am

lansing wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:45 pm Models collection reaches 40.
Nice Project, sadly how many hundred years before seeing something that can be really "usefull"?

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:47 am

Joujou wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:05 am
lansing wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:45 pm Models collection reaches 40.
Nice Project, sadly how many hundred years before seeing something that can be really "usefull"?
It's already very useful for drawing, people can now recreate cel like dragon ball drawing digitally. If you like color correction, you can now color correct scenes that consist of the characters that were in the collection, which is like a ton.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:02 am

A prove of concept here to relatively find the unknown color code of a character model by color matching to a known color model that is in the same cel photo. In this Vegito + Buu cel sample, I'm looking to find the color code of the normal form of Vegito since I don't know any of them except for the hair highlight (couldn't find any). Since I do have the color for Buu and the earing, I then color matched the photo using the known color. And it turned out that the resulting color of Vegito can be found in the color chart.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Sat Dec 02, 2023 1:42 am

Model collection reaches 50.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:21 pm

Dragon Ball movies that were produced in the later years of the show were outsourced to Korea and Philippine for the paint job. And since they don't use STAC but Sun Color paint, a conversion table between the two color charts was created for better communication. So there may existed two sets of color design sheets for the same movie, but ultimately they are referring to the same color. And for the sake of uniformity and consistency, I will list the color codes in STAC only, color sheets that were created in Sun Color color will be convert to STAC of the equivalent colors.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:26 pm

Model collection reaches 70.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:49 am

The crappy quality Kai TFC is surprisingly a very good source for finding unknown color codes of characters. Color matching most color of the frame and the unknown colors will reveal themselves.

In this sample, I had found most of the color codes for Chi Chi's model gathered from douga. The one I'm missing is her pant. And by using this frame from Kai TFC, I can color match it to her model to find the color of her pant convincingly.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:31 pm

Model collection reaches 80.