Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 90 - Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Mr Baggins
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Super: Manga Chapter 90 - Official Discussion Thread

Post by Mr Baggins » Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:57 pm

fleahop wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:31 pm Maybe it's just me, but would Dragon Ball be better off if it just turned into a slice-of-life manga?
No. The Super manga doesn't need to be exclusively slice-of-life to have fun interactions, interesting character dynamics and development, good pacing, and Toriyama's signature style of humor.

It just hasn't had that for an arc since 2018, and now it finally does again.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:33 am

Bro can't make a post in a manga chapter thread without making asides to or bringing up that he disliked Moro & Granolah lmao, like bro we get it lol

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:04 am

Seems perfectly reasonable to bring up the previous arcs when talking about the current arc. That’s how sequential storytelling works.
Cipher wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:10 pm
TKA wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:45 pm Krillin needs to be a cop that actually does his job by arresting Mai.
He should probably arrest Kame-Sennin first.
Police corruption even in a world like Dragonball. You hate to see it. The drummer of The Stationeries better keep an eye on the ol’ Kriller
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:46 pm

I’ve enjoyed this mini arc but my enthusiasm has waned now that we’re going into movie territory.

My hopes for the next chapter are that it gives us a different perspective on the opening events of the film. I want to see things from Dr Hedo’s perspective - flesh out the red ribbon army a bit, Hedo’s creation of the Gammas etc.

Then I want it to end. I don’t want to read the movie. I’d be happy if it said “to see how it ends please buy super hero on dvd and blu ray!” and then we move on to something different.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:10 pm

Kuririn pretty much saved the World, with Goten and Trunks the sidekicks.
However the justice system delivered a puny sentence that almost led to massive destruction.

That's my takeaway from this mini arc.

Kinda wished the focus was more on Kuririn plus the Gohan family and Piccolo. Half of this arc was the creepy Trunks-Mai, not much would be lost.

TKA
Advanced Regular

Post by TKA » Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:46 am

LightBing wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:10 pm However the justice system delivered a puny sentence that almost led to massive destruction.
Nah, the system worked. Very optimistic writing here.

Hedo isn’t a bad guy, and his only crime was stealing bodies. He hasn’t done any tangible harm to anyone. If Justice is to be restorative, there’s not much to restore since Hedo’s just a good and not some career criminal.
The Creatives who inspire me: Akira Toriyama, George Lucas, Chris Nolan, J. R. R. Tolkien and Zack Snyder

http://i.imgur.com/XAnj7Yi.jpg

You saw Batman v Superman? Is it the Ultimate Edition? No? Then you haven't seen Batman v Superman. Also, the Snyder Cut is the greatest, non-deconstructionist ensemble comic book film ever made.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:45 am

I mean the only villain that was a threat was a stitched up dinosaur from the stone age. The only stress our heroes really faced was getting courage asking someone to the school dance. Definitely a prequel that keeps the heart steady. A break from the heavy action oriented Granolah the Survivor arc.

Next chapter I expect we go back to Goku, Vegeta and Whis on Beerus's planet. possibly some time passes, since Beerus was asleep for some months in Super Hero. Interested to see why is Goku and Vegeta so concerned to hide Broly away from Freeza on Beerus's world.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:56 am

TKA wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:46 am
LightBing wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:10 pm However the justice system delivered a puny sentence that almost led to massive destruction.
Nah, the system worked. Very optimistic writing here.

Hedo isn’t a bad guy, and his only crime was stealing bodies. He hasn’t done any tangible harm to anyone. If Justice is to be restorative, there’s not much to restore since Hedo’s just a good and not some career criminal.
Disagree, he's a selfish, entitled man-child. If his actions weren't stopped he would eventually kill someone, even if it was by accident.

A three month sentence for the following is ridiculous:
- Attacked people including a police officer.
- His last android was particularly dangerous and destructive.
- Stole people's property and altered it(those robots from the first chapter).
- Necromancy I guess, ironically the reason for the reduced time although it's pretty messed up.

Of course we all know Toyotarõ choose this time window to fit the timeline, out-of-universe.
In-universe we learn that the justice system doesn't work in Dragon Ball.

Shorty GZ2
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shorty GZ2 » Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:32 am

TKA wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:04 am Seems perfectly reasonable to bring up the previous arcs when talking about the current arc. That’s how sequential storytelling works.
Cipher wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:10 pm
TKA wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:45 pm Krillin needs to be a cop that actually does his job by arresting Mai.
He should probably arrest Kame-Sennin first.
Police corruption even in a world like Dragonball. You hate to see it. The drummer of The Stationeries better keep an eye on the ol’ Kriller
Of course when it's actual productive & insightful reference to them in regards to sequential storytelling. There's nothing to be gleamed from or substantial of points/asides that all derive from/boil down to "I thought the last arcs sucked" after the first time they were posited that "he indeed, thought they sucked compared to this".

Krillin is sadly too emotionally compromised to make the call for Roshi's arrest.
Miracles wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:45 am I mean the only villain that was a threat was a stitched up dinosaur from the stone age. The only stress our heroes really faced was getting courage asking someone to the school dance. Definitely a prequel that keeps the heart steady. A break from the heavy action oriented Granolah the Survivor arc.

Next chapter I expect we go back to Goku, Vegeta and Whis on Beerus's planet. possibly some time passes, since Beerus was asleep for some months in Super Hero. Interested to see why is Goku and Vegeta so concerned to hide Broly away from Freeza on Beerus's world.
We already have info that the next chapter will be about Piccolo infiltrating the RRA (so probably featuring Gamma 2's 1st manga appearance) just like in the movie, though I wouldn't discount what you're saying about expansion on Goku/Vegeta/Broly on Beerus' Planet. Just maybe not next month, moreso next next month.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:03 am

Miracles wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:45 am Interested to see why is Goku and Vegeta so concerned to hide Broly away from Freeza on Beerus's world.
I think they're concerned for Broly because Black Frieza could one shot him before the former transforms. And maybe even after transforming Frieza would still be able to win now and then force Broly into his army again.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:29 am

Shorty GZ2 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:32 am Of course when it's actual productive & insightful reference to them in regards to sequential storytelling.
He asked a question about whether the manga would be better if it was slice-of-life; I answered in the negative, mentioning that it could (and did) have all the qualities that people enjoyed this arc for while still being an action manga, but hasn't done so since 2018.

The point of that wasn't to dog the last two arcs, although I can dog them as much as I want. It was just an example to point out that the manga was, at one point in time, great without being slice-of-life at all. For the record, I liked Moro despite having issues with it.

Meanwhile, you made a weirdly defensive non-post that isn't relevant to any discussion being had here.
Miracles wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:45 am Interested to see why is Goku and Vegeta so concerned to hide Broly away from Freeza on Beerus's world.
I'm definitely interested in seeing Broly's introduction, since the only time he's mentioned by name is in some short bonus chapter that wasn't even a part of serialization. Wonder how that bit will play out.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):