Are you done with Dragon Ball?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The gr
I Live Here

Re: Are you done with Dragon Ball?

Post by The gr » Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:25 am

No I don't think I'll ever, no matter how ehhh the newer series are I will never forget this series and the fanbase I've interacted with.

I keep thinking I have outgrown the series because of the long break I take and watching/reading other media yet I keep coming back to this.
Mostly active on discord.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:56 am

No, Dragon Ball will always have a special place in my heart. I am 40 already and have known about it for over 30 years. I will still know, at least remember it, in 30 years if I still live.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:35 am

Never. Even if I take a break, i always come back. It's my favourite franchise and something important to me.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:43 am

Never. I take breaks here and there from the series but I would never get tired of it. I've been a fan of the DB series since 2000 when I was 8. I practically grew up on this series lol.

The longest break I've took from watching the series was from 06 to 2010 but even during those times I was still playing the video games.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:29 am

I think so, yeah. At least when it comes to being a full-on consumer of the material. I'll drop by for the movies and peer over the wall every now and then to see what's going on in the manga. Maybe if a new big game comes out that cover arcs I really enjoy, I'll grab it on sale or something.
But in terms of keeping up with the series week-to-week, being genuinely positive about new Dragon Ball content? Those years are behind me. I really did try to stay with Super for a while but eventually I found the elements I actually loved about the original series just aren't here anymore, so I'm kinda done trying to enjoy whatever re-colour of the month is supposed to be impressive. Superhero's highs were really high, but it's all built on top of such flimsy scaffolding at this point, I could feel myself trying to look past that stuff to enjoy it, which just isn't a good sign.

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:05 pm

Not for now. As long as it entertains me I won't drop it and I may be curious about what they will do in the future.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:49 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:49 pm My question is, do you still enjoy Dragon Ball? What about it brings you back? With all the issues that these topics have covered, do you feel comfortable rewatching the series or re-reading the Manga?
In some respects I've given up on [modern] Dragon Ball, at least mentally because of the general lack of storytelling quality. I would've completely stopped watching DBS had they not changed things around with the Future Trunks arc. Now, I don't necessarily watch or read for storytelling consistency but for character moments. It's funny though, a lot of the changes I wanted them to implement years and years ago are slowly starting to be included in the series nearly a decade later which is interesting to see.

I made a post a while back detailing how I enjoy Dragon Ball these days that I hoped would help others who are struggling to enjoy the modern day series.

Classic series is GOAT'd though. I pop in to watch my favorite scenes or episodes all the time and now as references for my art. DBS has moments like that for me too.
capsulecorp wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:40 pm No way! I might be done with Dragon Ball anime - in retrospect, the DBS anime feels like a huge insult and waste of my time - but the DBS movies have been some of the highlights of the entire series.
Yeah, I'd have to agree. Even RoF was a damn good time when I first saw it in theaters. Only after rewatching it and examining its place in the story did its obvious flaws take away my enjoyment of the movie.

And I think the U6 Tourney would have been 10x more enjoyable as a movie. It almost feels like it was written to be one.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:26 pm

I will always be a fan of Dragon Ball, I enjoy Dragon Ball a lot. Just because I am not a fan of DBS Anime, that doesn't mean I am not a fan of Dragon Ball.

I still like DB, DBZ/Kai, GT and DBS Manga. I enjoy the movies and OVAs.

I still play Dragon Ball games.

Civic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Civic » Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:34 pm

Not yet! I have been champing at the bit for the DBS:Super Hero DVD release so I can watch it again (saw it in August, not out on DVD until April?! I would've seen it a second time at the movies if I knew the wait would be this long). While it's tough to say DBS is as good as DBZ, they still create just enough interesting concepts and unexpected joys (Orange Piccolo for me, for one) so I will definitely keep watching.

I grew up with the anime, and recently read the DBZ manga for the first time, which was cool. I'm about halfway through the original DB manga, having not seen the anime, so I get to learn about the origins first hand while doing the reverse of how I was introduced to Z (anime first, manga second). That in itself has been fun.

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Peril » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:34 pm

Don't think so. But I don't know where my relationship with this franchise has been for a long time. I have so many problems with Super it's not even funny. But I still like Dragon Ball somehow. Likely due to fan content. I generally wait a long time before checking out the manga again anyway so I'm never waiting with much excitement or baited breath regardless. So tl;dr I'm already a very casual fan so I dip in and out whenever.

Raki
I Live Here

Post by Raki » Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:02 pm

I still get enjoyment from the franchise so probably not.
The series doesn't start with the arrival of Raditz. Stop being lazy and watch Dragonball.

ThePrinceOfSaiyans
Beyond Newbie

Post by ThePrinceOfSaiyans » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:02 am

I will always love Dragon Ball and I believe I will always check out new episodes or movies.

That being said. It has fallen.

Freeza, mecha frieza, golden frieza, black frieza.

Cell, GT Cell, Cell Max

Androids 16, 17, 18, 19, 20. Cell. Red Ribbon Army (both OG DB and Z)

Majin Vegeta. Baby Vegeta GT. Purple gunk Vegeta in super.

Broly has 3 non canon movies and then brought back canon wise.

There is no such thing as originality in DB anymore.

I still enjoy it. I watch anything new as far as DB content goes. But it kind of sucks.

Even non fight stuff. World Tournament 18 jumps out for Hercule. In Super Hit throws the fight for Monoka.

Its all repeated stuff for memories and fan service.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:10 am

ThePrinceOfSaiyans wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:02 am I will always love Dragon Ball and I believe I will always check out new episodes or movies.

Cell, GT Cell, Cell Max

I still enjoy it. I watch anything new as far as DB content goes. But it kind of sucks.

Even non fight stuff. World Tournament 18 jumps out for Hercule. In Super Hit throws the fight for Monoka.

Dragon Ball is literally copied from Jouney to the West. Being unoriginal is baked into its DNA.

Standalone elements of a work are never 'original'. The goal of art is not to be original, it's to be entertaining and educational. Reviving Freeza was the Tournament of Power wasn't 'original' but it was entertaining because of the various creative decisions through music, voice acting, animation, compositing and sound effects that the staff made to make those episodes entertaining.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

ThePrinceOfSaiyans
Beyond Newbie

Post by ThePrinceOfSaiyans » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:25 am

JulieYBM wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:10 am
ThePrinceOfSaiyans wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:02 am I will always love Dragon Ball and I believe I will always check out new episodes or movies.

Cell, GT Cell, Cell Max

Dragon Ball is literally copied from Jouney to the West. Being unoriginal is baked into its DNA.

Standalone elements of a work are never 'original'. The goal of art is not to be original, it's to be entertaining and educational. Reviving Freeza was the Tournament of Power wasn't 'original' but it was entertaining because of the various creative decisions through music, voice acting, animation, compositing and sound effects that the staff made to make those episodes entertaining.
Well if you look at it that way. Yeah, I agree. Nothing is an original concept. Everything is repeated or copied in same way. Whether its a similar story or basing your story on something which exists and putting your own twist on it.

But that doesnt mean we cant have new content or stories.

Red Ribbon Army, Frieza, Cell, Raditz, Broly. All hell bent on revenge with Goku.

That takes up most of Dragon Ball. Saiyan, Android and Cell saga. Buu saga was "new" and original in comparison.

Then Super was 2 movies remade, a purple gunk Vegeta villain and some filler episodes. There is a small tournament between U6 and 7 for the planet Earths food. And then eventually we get some content with Hit and then the Tournament Of Power. I enjoyed the tournament of power. That was fun.

Like I said, I watch and enjoy all the new content. I thought Super Hero was lit. The music was good. Always loved DB OSTs. And as much as I enjoyed the movie. I felt a bit disappointed. Cell returns. Gohan defeats him. The snapping and powering up was identical. New form of course. But its just the same thing repeated. I still enjoy it and I still paud to see the movie. I will always support Dragon Ball I think.

But a new story, new characters, or a new scenario would be better is all I think. I just want some "new" content. :D

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:40 pm

Dragonball will forever be close to my heart. But as time goes on life just gets busy and I find myself less invested. It always brings a smile to my eye to see familiar posters here, this definitely is a community. With a more increasing job, new family, Dragonball just hasn't been a priority like it used to. I'm 31 now man. Maybe the spark will come back if my son ever decides to watch it, and I'll always check here every once in a while to see new updates, but I'm content with that for now. Outside of the Broly and Heroes movie, the anime has been gone now going on 5 years, and I've already moved on.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:17 pm

No way. Dragon Ball still offers the best of what I'm looking for, bar none. If anything, it's literally the only manga and anime I watch, now. It's the exact opposite. I guess you can say I'm done with anime and manga. And I know a lot more people like me than the other way around.

Dragon Ball, besides a few American cartoon comedies, are about the only fictions I even engage with, these days.

I was into everything from One Piece to JoJo (back in the late 90s), to new stuff like OPM and MHA. I just can't get into it, now. When each franchise went on breaks, I never picked them back up. Any of it. I honestly just think I'm not a weeb anymore and Dragon Ball just came into my life at the right time. It's like Dragon Ball is more than an anime/manga. It's pop culture, now.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:13 pm

The Franchise and I are currently going through a period of separation. So far it’s working for both of us. Everything now and then I may hear about something going on and I check it out and so far the news has been disappointing. I’m just waiting for the day where I hear about some new interesting content that sounds like an emphasis on story and character development and not a rehash of already trend concepts or a cash grab.

Still patiently waiting