Has your opinion on any Dragon Ball media changed over the years?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Has your opinion on any Dragon Ball media changed over the years?

Post by ABED » Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:29 pm

super michael wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:55 am
ABED wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:50 am
super michael wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:13 am My opinion hasn't changed, I find Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, GT and Dragon Ball Super Manga enjoyable. I enjoy the movies, ova and games.

However Dragon Ball Super Anime is awful, how some characters are written is pathetic. Toei thinks fans like seeing nagging Chi Chi, brainless Goku and forbidding characters, while pretending they will do useful things, etc.

DBS anime was enjoyable at time, but it was annoying many times.

How characters gained huge power by doing pathetic training was terrible. Freeza beating a weakling, Buu training with Mr Satan, C17 beating normal humans, etc.

Goten and Trunks struggling against a snake and getting battle damage by normal humans was bad.
The humans performing better against Goku, than Gotenks against Copy Vegeta.

The writers had to confirm that the humans are weak than Goten and Trunks.
Your opinion on Super hasn't changed. You've said this plenty of places. This isn't the place for yet another Super bashing unless you liked it then had a change of mind.
I am allowed to state that I don't like DBS anime, the question is if a user has changed their opinion. My answer is no.

However what I think of DBS anime, doesn't affect my enjoyment on other Dragon Ball anime, manga, ova, movie, games, etc.

Toei think garbage writing is acceptable.
At the risk of sounding like a mini-mod, I don't see what that has to do with this subject. Answering no none of your opinions on the show have changed over the years and then elaborating on that is interesting, but you didn't elaborate on why not, you just launched into another rant against Super. Fine you feel how you feel about Super but I don't see how that supports your thesis. I'm just gonna leave it at that because I'd be interested in if anyone else's opinions don't change and why. I would like them to stay on subject, though.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:53 pm

Interestingly Super has actually make me start to dislike the older media.

Not in and of itself. In a Bubble I would just ignore it entirely. However any attempts to engage with the fandom devolve into the below arguments:

Toei is the problem
Toyotaro is the problem
Toriyama is the problem

It’s causes me to disconnect with the fandom and become more critical of past media.

Also every single new piece of Dragon Ball Merchandise I look at with skepticism as a cash grab. I couldn’t even get excited for the Kakarot game because I was so burnt out on the constant rehashing of old story beats.

If any opinion has changed it’s that I’m pretty much over the franchise and don’t even desire to share my love of it with anyone else now.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:37 am

Someone else in the thread said it, but the original Dragon Ball anime was a big one. I still like it just because, I'll always really like those story arcs and Toriyama's writing, but as an adaption, it's very hard for me to watch nowadays. It doesn't have the monstrous length of Z, but it the pacing just feels so off for what I like Dragon Ball to be, a lot of the shuffling of plotlines doesn't really work for me, I think the filler is mostly uninteresting even if I respect the attempt to make new stories, and this is shallow and I know it isn't a problem with the show, but honestly the way the audio sounds due to Toei's lack of care genuinely makes me sleepy.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Shinsa
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shinsa » Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:50 pm

TheMikado wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:53 pm Interestingly Super has actually make me start to dislike the older media.

Not in and of itself. In a Bubble I would just ignore it entirely. However any attempts to engage with the fandom devolve into the below arguments:

Toei is the problem
Toyotaro is the problem
Toriyama is the problem

It’s causes me to disconnect with the fandom and become more critical of past media.

Also every single new piece of Dragon Ball Merchandise I look at with skepticism as a cash grab. I couldn’t even get excited for the Kakarot game because I was so burnt out on the constant rehashing of old story beats.

If any opinion has changed it’s that I’m pretty much over the franchise and don’t even desire to share my love of it with anyone else now.
I feel you on that one....I'm much the same but Super has made me appreciate classic DB more. Like I said in my older post I have to turn off my brain. I've learned to accept the writing and cliches modern DB is going for and while I'm not happy with it, I have been able to enjoy some of the new movies.

The last Dragonball media for me that has been top tier was Dragonball FighterZ. If you are into competitive fighting games it's a great one to look into.