20 years ago today Dragon Ball GT premiered in the UK and Ireland

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

20 years ago today Dragon Ball GT premiered in the UK and Ireland

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:08 am

I thought it would be nice to create a thread like this for GT, as we have seen a few for Dragon Ball Z, and GT has an interesting history with the UK.

First of all the series premiered and aired in the UK and Ireland in full before it was shown in the US on November 7, 2003, as well as the home country of the dub - Canada.

GT first premiered in the UK and Ireland's CNX channel on March 3, 2003, replacing Dragon Ball Z's 5pm timeslot. The first two episodes of GT were aired the day it premiered, but as the run continued there was one new episode per weekday. Unlike Dragon Ball Z, and later original Dragon Ball there were no promos for new episodes of GT, and there was only one break with new episodes dropping on June 4, 2003 starting from episode 45.

The English dub marked the UK's second cast switch, which was again a cost-saving measure. The dub was originally going to be recorded by Vancouver's Ocean Studios cast with the same largely accurate scripts and Tokunaga score, but because Ken Morrison was trying to bypass the British Columbian Animation Agreement (which allowed for more breaks between sessions, better pay for actors, etc) production was moved to the new Blue Water Studios in Calgary at the last minute, despite some cast members like Michael Dobson being cast in 4 roles and having no clue why their castings were terminated. There is some debate over whether Blue Water is a union or non-union dubbing company as sources vary, although as I understand it, it is union but uses a cheaper union than Vancouver.

Also, as if Dragon Ball English dubbing isn't confusing enough an installment of GT also featured in the UK's third dub switch on TV, that being the switch from all three North American casts to the French-based English dubs (known by fans as the "Big Green dub") as an alternate dub of A Hero's Legacy (known as "Four-Star Dragonball is the Proof of Courage") aired exclusively on Toonami UK on August 19, 2005. This has been the only broadcast of this dub I'm aware of, and it was never seen anywhere else on other mediums like home video.

GT was taken off the air sometime before original Dragon Ball concluded in November 2004, but was brought back for one last run around spring 2005.

To this day GT has never been rerun in the UK or Ireland, but Manga UK repackaged Madman Entertainment's version of the two season DVDs, which hit store shelves on January 20, 2014 and March 17, 2014 respectively, the Complete Series followed on December 3, 2018.

I didn't see much of GT on CNX, but caught pretty much the whole series in reruns on Toonami. Never hated it as much as many fans did back in the day, and I kind of have a soft spot for the Blue Water dub.

It's overall an enjoyable, experimental series. Things like Goku being turned into a kid arguably overstayed its welcome, but the introduction of an antagonist with genuine beef against the saiyans like Baby, our heroes ultimate crutch becoming their ultimate enemy with the Evil Dragons, GT had a lot of wonderful ideas I still respect it for to this day, even if the execution left something to be desired.

Any memories of watching GT, please feel free to share them here.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Rory
I Live Here

Re: 20 years ago today Dragon Ball GT premiered in the UK and Ireland

Post by Rory » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:38 am

I have incredibly fond memories of both Blue Water dubs, watching them as they aired was a real treat. Zoe Slusar is still the voice I hear in my head when thinking about an English kid Goku!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:00 am

Tis a shame Ken Morrison screwed us out of what could have been a pretty darn good dub. The Vancouver cast + accurate ish scripts+ Japanese music would have been something.

I know in actuality the Calgary cast probably isn't that much worse than the Texas cast but the devil you know and all that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:21 am

Rory wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:38 am I have incredibly fond memories of both Blue Water dubs, watching them as they aired was a real treat. Zoe Slusar is still the voice I hear in my head when thinking about an English kid Goku!
Same, I only wished I had recorded more. I wasn't aware at the time these were "alternate English dubs" until I found through clips online that Funimation also dubbed original Dragon Ball and GT. I think Zoe Slusar is quite good honestly, I prefer her performance to Stephanie Nadolny personally.
MasenkoHA wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:00 am Tis a shame Ken Morrison screwed us out of what could have been a pretty darn good dub. The Vancouver cast + accurate ish scripts+ Japanese music would have been something.

I know in actuality the Calgary cast probably isn't that much worse than the Texas cast but the devil you know and all that.
Yeah, I guess its one of those things where without being a fly on the wall your never going to know the full story. What always amazed me was how much CNX and Toonami breezed through Dragon Ball episodes in this time. GT, as I said was aired in full within 4 months compared to its run on YTV, which lasted about a year and a half, despite the fact it had already aired in the British Isles and possibly the Netherlands too. And original Dragon Ball ran over 13 months here with 153 episodes. So it may be the case, as others on this forum suggested that there may have been a strike going on in Vancouver or Morrison may have been under pressure for new episodes to be produced and giving these projects to less seasoned actors that weren't as busy might have been more manageable.

I'd argue Blue Water GT is still better than Funimation's dub, because yes, both casts were inexperienced, but the former was produced with the original score and intent of the series in mind whereas the latter was created to be its own thing.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Zinnia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zinnia » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:20 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:08 am Things like Goku being turned into a kid arguably overstayed its welcome
I'll gladly take 100 more episodes of Goku being a kid but smart, than 10 years of Goku being adult-but-dumb and forgetting most basic things (Senzu beans, Mafuba seal, Meditation)

Goku being an adult overstayed it's welcome now, even if it's the natural progression, he doesn't feel like one anymore.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Fri Mar 03, 2023 2:20 pm

And I still never saw GT in it's entirety. 🤣🤣🤣
The world is your's.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:07 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:21 am

I'd argue Blue Water GT is still better than Funimation's dub, because yes, both casts were inexperienced, but the former was produced with the original score and intent of the series in mind whereas the latter was created to be its own thing.
Oh, I don't disagree. I just think the Funimation cast sounds better. Still crappier scripts and originally shitty replacement music makes it the worse of the two dubs.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 4:22 pm

I do like the Blue Water dub a lot and wish it got an official release.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Fri Mar 03, 2023 5:39 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:21 amI think Zoe Slusar is quite good honestly, I prefer her performance to Stephanie Nadolny personally.
I'd take anyone over Nadolny. Except Linda Young.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:27 pm

I watched it on the day it premiered. It was literally the week after Z ended on CNX. The promos had been airing for weeks.

I initially had the same knee jerk reaction most have with GT the first time they see it. The show looked and felt drastically different to Z.

And the cast changing yet again really bugged me. The UK broadcast of Z is well documented at this point, but basically we went back and forth between the Vancouver and Texas casts multiple times. For GT we got our 3rd cast. I thought the main trio sounded decent, but felt several other characters sounded off.

Despite all this I stuck with it, and ended up enjoying it more as the series progressed. The Tokunaga score was drastically different from the replacement scores we had for Z, but it eventually grew on me, and I now really enjoy it.

I'd say the Baby saga saved GT, and SS4 is still a cooler form than the lazy recolours of modern DB. Also the Shadow Dragon saga in underrated.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:10 am

The Blue Water dub is probably the best English dub of GT. It's the rare times where they say Oozaru in English.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:38 am

90sDBZ wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:27 pmAlso the Shadow Dragon saga in underrated.
I could be wrong, but in my experience the Evil Dragons arc is rather well liked. I've heard the odd complaint about none of the heroes other than Goku and Pan having a role in fighting the first 6 Dragons, but generally even GT's biggest detractors say it gets good by the last saga.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:36 am

Zinnia wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:20 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:08 am Things like Goku being turned into a kid arguably overstayed its welcome
I'll gladly take 100 more episodes of Goku being a kid but smart, than 10 years of Goku being adult-but-dumb and forgetting most basic things (Senzu beans, Mafuba seal, Meditation)

Goku being an adult overstayed it's welcome now, even if it's the natural progression, he doesn't feel like one anymore.
Plus, Goku in GT acted more like the veteran he was at that time, while not completely forgetting bis child like side. It's probably the most mature Goku acted.

I also like his blue Gi. Even if you're not fond of the color it's at least a way to distinguish him instead of always wearing the same clothes.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 am

Jord wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:36 am
Zinnia wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:20 am

Plus, Goku in GT acted more like the veteran he was at that time, while not completely forgetting bis child like side. It's probably the most mature Goku acted.

I also like his blue Gi. Even if you're not fond of the color it's at least a way to distinguish him instead of always wearing the same clothes.
I think everyone in GT acts more mature. Vegeta is obviously still pushing himself to become stronger but he's outgrown his fixation on ensuring he reaches greater levels of strength than Goku (which felt like a natural progression from his "you are number one" inner monologue from the Boo arc), and is shown to have a settled side that drives a car and is a dedicated father to Bra.

I quite like the blue gi, it was really refreshing when we first saw it at the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai, and part of the reason I always wanted Dragon Ball AF or a sequel to GT to be real was to see more of adult Goku wearing it.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:30 pm

No matter what anybody says about the Blue Water dub of GT, at least you didn't get the replacement score that we got in the US. While the main theme was kinda catchy (despite the "rap"), the repetitiveness, the instruments, and the overall dark, depressing feel of that monotnous score made GT totally unwatchable for me. It just felt depressing. Otherwise, I never minded GT.

And from what I saw, Crunchyroll only has the dub with the replacement score despite using the redone opening and closing theme that was done for the green bricks. Kinda strange that they didn't just use the Japanese score.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:09 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:30 pm No matter what anybody says about the Blue Water dub of GT, at least you didn't get the replacement score that we got in the US. While the main theme was kinda catchy (despite the "rap"), the repetitiveness, the instruments, and the overall dark, depressing feel of that monotnous score made GT totally unwatchable for me.
I'm not even sure what they were really going for with GT's dub score. Even as a teen who really dug the Faulconer score, I remember seeing the US GT dub online and just being baffled at how bland and phoned in the music felt. Granted, this was after already watching the majority of GT with its original score via Blue Water, so I alredy had an idea of what GT should sound like in my mind, but that didn't stop me from going from liking Faulconer to falling in love with Kikuchi. Even at the time, I just knew something really felt wrong with the Menza score and I'm really greatful to not have had to have dealt with it.

I was talking sugar about GT's ending in another thread, but I have very, very strong emotional ties to this piece in particular. I absolutely adored the build-up and the climatic feeling (honestly I think the presentation alone pushes it above the Boo arc's Genki Dama scene for me).
It's peak messianic Goku and all these years later I'm just totally here for it. Hell Pan even says "granpa looks like a god" right before tossing the bomb, they weren't even being subtle with it. :lol:
Jord wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:36 am Plus, Goku in GT acted more like the veteran he was at that time, while not completely forgetting bis child like side. It's probably the most mature Goku acted.
Also just... this. I think GT did an incredible job of somehow conveying that there's a child's body with the personality of a childish adult. It must've been a really difficult thing to get across a weirdly nuanced/specific concept. Selling the idea of an adult in a child's body isn't hard, nor is doing the opposite, but being able to nail the execution of the middle ground is something I don't think GT gets enough credit for.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:53 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 4:38 am
90sDBZ wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 9:27 pmAlso the Shadow Dragon saga in underrated.
I could be wrong, but in my experience the Evil Dragons arc is rather well liked. I've heard the odd complaint about none of the heroes other than Goku and Pan having a role in fighting the first 6 Dragons, but generally even GT's biggest detractors say it gets good by the last saga.
I've seen quite a few people say it was a good concept with poor execution, or that it didn't get good until the last 3 dragons. Totally Not Mark was quite critical in his review.

It used to bother me that only Goku and Pan were involved for most of the arc, but I'm okay with it now. It makes it feel more exciting when everyone else shows up against Syn later on, and having them present for the whole arc might have made it feel bloated.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:16 pm

The dub has better English choices than some of the stuff that we got in the states. At least, Super Yi Xing Long does not sound like a chain smoker and Dr. Myu didn't have a shitty german accent.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:32 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:47 am I think everyone in GT acts more mature. Vegeta is obviously still pushing himself to become stronger but he's outgrown his fixation on ensuring he reaches greater levels of strength than Goku (which felt like a natural progression from his "you are number one" inner monologue from the Boo arc), and is shown to have a settled side that drives a car and is a dedicated father to Bra.
You nailed it. The entire cast progressed. Videl is a mature woman, Kuririn and 18 are a happily married (retired?) older couple, Goten and Trunks act like young adults. It just feels like a logical progression.
I also really like how Satan is written, both his bond with Pan as well as the other heroes. It felt nice seeing them connect after everything that happened.