Dragon Ball and AI in voice acting

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Re: Dragon Ball and AI in voice acting

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:59 am

I hope this doesn't become a thing in the voice acting industry. A.I is not a good thing for society in my opinion

Yuli Ban
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Yuli Ban » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:33 am

JEFFMAN219 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:59 am I hope this doesn't become a thing in the voice acting industry. A.I is not a good thing for society in my opinion
Well first of all, AI could be a VERY good thing for society. The issue isn't with AI; it's with society.

If we didn't have a capitalist hellscape, I'd say "I can see good use cases easily."

Take this project of mine, the Yabanverse. I use AI voices in this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bu0VGVycrk
Though personally I don't like cloning other people's voices, so I mixed various into new voices, allowing me to do something I couldn't before, since I'm literally just a low-income black guy in bumfuck Louisiana and have no interest in monetizing this project but intend to go pretty far with it regardless.

Where I start getting uncomfortable is when I hear of bigger companies using this when they actually DO have the capital to hire voice actors, or with people who do intend on copyrighting and monetizing generated media. This is where we need unions and regulations.

The issue is, of course, that we as a society decided unions were a public menace. Banning AI (which isn't possible) doesn't solve the cold unyielding fact we still view unions and worker protections as a public menace. It's why I have such a bipolar view on synthetic media (and wish people stopped using the term "AI art"). Maybe it's just because it's in my interests to support it that I can't oppose its use, or maybe it's because I have hyperphantasia and literally can't help but seek multimedia creation (some who say "You could just not do this" don't realize how demoralizing that is when the opportunity has already been offered), and yet I still have come to feel that artists who find this unethical do have a good point.
If anything, I hope this technology triggers creatives to unionize in larger numbers and call for greater protections.
The Yabanverse
My own take on Saiyajins in a fanverse.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Mar 05, 2023 2:45 pm

Came across this
https://youtu.be/-nYzZkLljzc

Even though it is amateur AI, it's amazing how far AI is getting. It still sounds semi-robotic but it won't be long before it's more fluent.
You do notice how, even when AI sounds good it still misses personality .

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:34 pm

There's also some videos on Youtube with AI-generated Joe Rogan interviews of Goku, Freeza, Zamasu, Jiren and Hit too. The nuance of an actor's voice is still lacking, but I agree that we will likely be seeing AI catch up with the potential of our human performers in the not too distant future.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:41 pm

Okay, the Trump/Sleepy Joe and Joe Rogan/Ben Shapiro A.I. videos are admittedly hilarious.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:06 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:33 am
JEFFMAN219 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:59 am I hope this doesn't become a thing in the voice acting industry. A.I is not a good thing for society in my opinion
Well first of all, AI could be a VERY good thing for society. The issue isn't with AI; it's with society.

If we didn't have a capitalist hellscape, I'd say "I can see good use cases easily."

Though personally I don't like cloning other people's voices, so I mixed various into new voices, allowing me to do something I couldn't before, since I'm literally just a low-income black guy in bumfuck Louisiana and have no interest in monetizing this project but intend to go pretty far with it regardless.

Where I start getting uncomfortable is when I hear of bigger companies using this when they actually DO have the capital to hire voice actors, or with people who do intend on copyrighting and monetizing generated media. This is where we need unions and regulations.

The issue is, of course, that we as a society decided unions were a public menace. Banning AI (which isn't possible) doesn't solve the cold unyielding fact we still view unions and worker protections as a public menace. It's why I have such a bipolar view on synthetic media (and wish people stopped using the term "AI art"). Maybe it's just because it's in my interests to support it that I can't oppose its use, or maybe it's because I have hyperphantasia and literally can't help but seek multimedia creation (some who say "You could just not do this" don't realize how demoralizing that is when the opportunity has already been offered), and yet I still have come to feel that artists who find this unethical do have a good point.
If anything, I hope this technology triggers creatives to unionize in larger numbers and call for greater protections.
Unions can be good, but they shouldn't be mandatory.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:41 am

Lol, I hadn't seen those Rogan/DB interviews but here's two

https://youtu.be/tlr0ZzOvvD4

https://youtu.be/7WDQb8ChrC4

As you can hear, some voices work "better" for AI generators than others. Rogan sounds more life like than Goku for example. With the speed technology advances though, I could see normal sounding AI voices becoming a thing in 1-2 years.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:25 pm

I only can see AI voicing work for memes, mods, and fan fiction. I don't see people in the instrudy using it because bots can't do human emotions very well.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:26 pm

It depends for me... like, if it's for educational purpose then I don't mind, but in movies, animes, series etc I'd prefer a real voice actor, unless the character is a robot, then it's normal, ah ah.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:02 pm

Scientist Fu wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:26 pm It depends for me... like, if it's for educational purpose then I don't mind, but in movies, animes, series etc I'd prefer a real voice actor, unless the character is a robot, then it's normal, ah ah.
What if you can't hear the difference?

Scientist Fu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scientist Fu » Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:33 pm

Jord wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:02 pm
Scientist Fu wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:26 pm It depends for me... like, if it's for educational purpose then I don't mind, but in movies, animes, series etc I'd prefer a real voice actor, unless the character is a robot, then it's normal, ah ah.
What if you can't hear the difference?
It seems highly unlikely, I'd have to hear it first if it is truly possible. I don't think AI can do the same job as a real voice actor, even if it sounds the same, the voice acting might seem unnatural?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:46 pm

The whole idea of A.I. voices strikes me as creepy, just like deepfakes. In fact, I have trouble deciding which one is creepier.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:33 am

WittyUsername wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 8:46 pm The whole idea of A.I. voices strikes me as creepy, just like deepfakes. In fact, I have trouble deciding which one is creepier.
I'll make it creepier for you. For now these are stand alone products but the expectation is that these will be combined in the future. Basically you could just give a prompt to, for example, have Joe Biden give a speech on Zelda games and out comes a deepfaked video including realistic voice acting.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:06 pm

Jord wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:33 am I'll make it creepier for you. For now these are stand alone products but the expectation is that these will be combined in the future. Basically you could just give a prompt to, for example, have Joe Biden give a speech on Zelda games and out comes a deepfaked video including realistic voice acting.
People have already used this to spread political disinformation.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:14 pm

Shaddy wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:06 pm
Jord wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:33 am I'll make it creepier for you. For now these are stand alone products but the expectation is that these will be combined in the future. Basically you could just give a prompt to, for example, have Joe Biden give a speech on Zelda games and out comes a deepfaked video including realistic voice acting.
People have already used this to spread political disinformation.
How effective are those though?

I'm not saying political disinformation isn't an issue but I'm not seeing those AI fool anyone with an IQ higher than Majorie Taylor Greene

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:21 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:14 pm How effective are those though?

I'm not saying political disinformation isn't an issue but I'm not seeing those AI fool anyone with an IQ higher than Majorie Taylor Greene
I got bad news for you about which people have outsized influence in most countries.

Khushi

Post by Khushi » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:23 am

I don't think AI technologies such as voice cloning or voiceovers are a bad thing. Because at the end of the day, an AI is an AI and is very different from humans.

HarveyPlissken

Post by HarveyPlissken » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:42 pm

I'd only be fine with AI for stuff like uncut English NEPs (Brice Armstrong/Doc Morgan's narration for the original DB and Kyle Hebert's narration for Z). I'd like to see that done for a fan project or something. We know that GT is the only series in the original run to receive uncut English NEPs for all 64 episodes fully recorded and synced to the Japanese footage.

King Bogo

Post by King Bogo » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:39 am

Yuli Ban wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:33 am

Nice show. I consider it way better then DB Evolution. For Dende's sake Evolution also made me die in the theatre of a cringe induced heart attack.
P.S. That is not a joke. I am only alive today because some kind stranger preformed CPR on me during the credit roll