Rarest Dragon Ball Game Ever? (DBZ2V)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Seekeroftruth
Beyond Newbie

Rarest Dragon Ball Game Ever? (DBZ2V)

Post by Seekeroftruth » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:25 am

https://youtu.be/QQCG2xxP3Dk

Apparently Dragon Ball V2 is the rarest Dragon ball game released with only 2000 copies ever made. The only way to get your hands on this game was by being a v-jump subscriber in Japan. This game is actual an alternate version of budokai 2. Some of differences that sets it apart from Budokai 2 are listed below:

-Bonuses added to the original Japanese version of Budokai 2, such as the bonus costumes (Goku w/ damaged clothing, Piccolo w/ cape and turban, and Kuriza) and the 10th stage in Story Mode, are carried over to this version.

-Great Saiyaman had the Ki Control, Mixed Blood Power and Saiyan Heritage support capsules added.

-Frieza has two new skins available: Majin Frieza and Cooler.

-Cell has Majin Cell available for use as an alternative skin.

-The World Martial Arts Tournament stage has the V-Jump logo on the floor.

-The title screen is slightly different, having a purple Cooler silhouette in the logo.
Saving is unavailable.

-U are unable to save.

-The game begins at 100% completion, with all capsules and characters unlocked

Copies sold today cost $238 USD to get on sites like ebay and amazon.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Rarest Dragon Ball Game Ever? (DBZ2V)

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:43 am

Dragon Ball Z 2 V was made in limited quantities, but it’s not particularly “rare”. I know several people offhand that have a copy… myself included!

It’s widely available on second-hand sites at all times, and you can still easily get one for under $150 without trying too hard if you just avoid the most predatory of eBayers. No need to pay over $200, especially if you venture out to proxy buying from Mercari or Yahoo! Japan Auctions.

An AMERICAN copy of "Budokai Tenkaichi 3" will basically run you the same price (~$150-200 right now)... or even significantly more if you want the first-printing with a bonus disc! :lol:

The franchise’s first video game, Dragon Dai-Hikyo for the Epoch Cassette Vision, is much more “rare” these days. I hardly ever see any listings for it, and when I do it's for a system and a game or two that aren’t complete in box going for upward of $500-600 (and even that seems kinda reasonable right now). Every once in a while there's a loose cart that's still $60+.

Some of the earlier LCD handheld games are likewise much more rare, with few listings and prices consummate with that if you want one complete in box.

EDIT: The video in the initial post is incorrect about Kuriza. He was included as an alternate costume already in the base release of the Japanese game (Dragon Ball Z 2); while he does appear here again in 2 V, the addition of Coola is what's new/exclusive. (SOURCE: I actually own all these games and have covered this since they came out! :lol: )
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:24 am

I still remember seeing images of DBZ2V back when it was first announce and was somewhat mad that Japan always get the cool content that America never got.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Bardock God of Time
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Bardock God of Time » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:39 pm

If they ever make an HD version of Budokai 2, I hope it includes 2V's content (with the ability to save of course)

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:06 pm

Bardock God of Time wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:39 pm If they ever make an HD version of Budokai 2, I hope it includes 2V's content (with the ability to save of course)
I doubt that we will ever see a HD version of Budokai 2. They even skip it for the HD collection because they felt like it was unpopular compare to the first and third one.
She/Her

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:55 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:06 pm because they felt like it was unpopular compare to the first and third one.
Terrible reasoning, considering all the amount of cool stuff it has that Budokai 3 took out (though PS2 disks had limited space so I don't really blame them).
Every game of the trilogy is different, so B2 being disrespected angered me back then and still does.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:11 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:24 am I still remember seeing images of DBZ2V back when it was first announce and was somewhat mad that Japan always get the cool content that America never got.
Yeah, back then every small extra bit was a huge deal! I remember being mad about the Budokai 2 not having the Japanese voice option and missing the Neko Majin stage :lol:
And all those Japanese exclusives in other games, or games not being avalaible locally that I would laugh about nowadays.

I guess the basic DBZ2 version is fine to get, as I remember that 2V was more of a promo update before the release of 3/Budokai 3 and you were not able to save the progress in the chess story mode and everything was unlocked.

What was cool tho, was the French version of Super Butoden 2 back then, that had the hidden Goku and Broly unlocked from the start!

Budokai 2 wasn't as popular as the first game and the third one, but I remember being blown away by the trailer before it came out, as the visuals were simply stunning in comparison to the first game...
https://youtu.be/xF40MvcKvl0
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:08 pm

Seekeroftruth wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:25 am https://youtu.be/QQCG2xxP3Dk

Apparently Dragon Ball V2 is the rarest Dragon ball game released with only 2000 copies ever made. The only way to get your hands on this game was by being a v-jump subscriber in Japan. This game is actual an alternate version of budokai 2. Some of differences that sets it apart from Budokai 2 are listed below:

-Bonuses added to the original Japanese version of Budokai 2, such as the bonus costumes (Goku w/ damaged clothing, Piccolo w/ cape and turban, and Kuriza) and the 10th stage in Story Mode, are carried over to this version.

-Great Saiyaman had the Ki Control, Mixed Blood Power and Saiyan Heritage support capsules added.

-Frieza has two new skins available: Majin Frieza and Cooler.

-Cell has Majin Cell available for use as an alternative skin.

-The World Martial Arts Tournament stage has the V-Jump logo on the floor.

-The title screen is slightly different, having a purple Cooler silhouette in the logo.
Saving is unavailable.

-U are unable to save.

-The game begins at 100% completion, with all capsules and characters unlocked

Copies sold today cost $238 USD to get on sites like ebay and amazon.
Wrong information and terrible reading a script from that YouTuber..

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:24 pm

Is there actually a source on B2 being unpopular in comparison or is that just something someone once said that people parrot? Honestly it was better in most ways than B1 so I'd be pretty surprised.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:12 pm

It's probably from back in the day when Budokai 2 came out. Many people didn't like the story mode, and how shiny the graphics were. B3 sold the least out of the original trilogy and maybe B2's leaving a bad taste with most people probably play a role in it.
She/Her

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:29 am

Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:12 pm It's probably from back in the day when Budokai 2 came out. Many people didn't like the story mode, and how shiny the graphics were. B3 sold the least out of the original trilogy and maybe B2's leaving a bad taste with most people probably play a role in it.
When do you wrote B3 did you mean budokai 3? If so that's shocking to me as it was a great game and my impression was that a lot of fans liked it.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Jun 17, 2023 2:45 pm

sangofe wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 1:29 am
Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:12 pm It's probably from back in the day when Budokai 2 came out. Many people didn't like the story mode, and how shiny the graphics were. B3 sold the least out of the original trilogy and maybe B2's leaving a bad taste with most people probably play a role in it.
When do you wrote B3 did you mean budokai 3? If so that's shocking to me as it was a great game and my impression was that a lot of fans liked it.
Yes, B3 is short Budokai 3. Despite having good word of mouth, it still sold less than the other two did. It doesn't help the fact that the game came out in a busy month of other big games coming out during that time like Half Life 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Counter-Strike: Source, Halo 2, Jak 3, Ratchet & Clank 3, Need for Speed: Underground 2, Killzone, and Metroid Prime 2.
She/Her