Is Jiren really still a big deal?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Re: Is Jiren really still a big deal?

Post by Hugo Boss » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:23 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:47 pm
Hugo Boss wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:20 pm That’s because in the movie-verse Jiren and Broly were the strongest warriors Goku and Vegeta knew about and the ones the broader audience is most familiar with.

The manga version of Super Hero has instead Black Freeza as their benchmark to surpass. I doubt Jiren will even be brought up there, but who knows.
Regarding the second paragraph, For me it's rather only the scenes in Beerus' Planet, I've already said in another thread that they were very clearly Toei's idea, and of course they wanted scenes with Goku and Vegeta in the movie to make the movie sell better, which explains all this.
Regarding the first paragraph, I've talked about that just above.
This is simply a case in which Toriyama and Toyotaro think differently.

Nothing implies the scenes in Beerus' Planet is "Toei" addition, the whole movie was written by Toriyama himself, including Goku listing Jiren, Broly and the Gods of Destruction as people stronger than him. Take into account this directly contradicts manga-only arcs in which Goku has surpassed Jiren, Broly and most of the Gods of Destruction, probably remaining only Beerus and Quitela ahead.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:22 pm

SupremeKai25 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:38 am In the Broly movie, Goku remembers Ribrianne when he is thinking about the strong fighters he met in the ToP. Remembering Ribrianne along the likes of the Destroyers, Jiren, and SS2 Kefla:

Ah my bad XD I thought you was talking about a actual line mentioning Ribrianne, not that frame.
Your thread is interesting, because in the past I hated how Toriyama didn't have anyone mention or remember Zamasu in the Broly movie. There is even a scene in the Broly movie where Goku remembers all the villains of Earth like Frieza, Cell, and Buu, but he didn't remember Zamasu... but now I think that it makes some sense. Zamasu is dead, so Goku isn't worried about fighting him again in the future, and he was not really a threat to the Present Earth, but to the Future Earth (if we ignore Infinite Zamasu). With all of this taken into consideration, I now think it makes sense that any reference to Zamasu was omitted from the movies.
Sorry to disappoint you, but, at least imo, it's pretty obvious that Zamasu wasn't referenced in DBSB just for convenience, for example, Cell also appears, there's even less reasons for him to appear than Zamasu, he was defeated years ago, while Zamasu only 2 I suppose, this hapoens because The "Z" brand is much bigger than the "Super" brand, they only referenced the Z villains because it's necessary for them to have any material related to the Z era, just note how literally everything from the Super Animated Adaptation & Gods of Universe Saga have a reference to Z: the references to multiple arcs in Battle of Gods, the Freeza arc references in Fukkatsu no F, the Saiyans arc references in Champa Tournament, The Cell Saga references in Black arc, the references to multiple arcs (again) in the Tournament of Power and DBS Broly, and the many Cell Saga references (again) in Super Hero.
They clearly want to fill our faces with Z era references because they know how Nostalgia is.
Even Classic DB made it way into some of these references.
Super still doesn't work in the same for them, so they probably don't think it's necessary to have any references to past Super arcs in the next ones, that's why you have no reference to FnF in the Champa Tournament, or Zamasu referenced in ToP, not even Moro was referenced in Granolla arc (not counting his cameo in the first chapter of the arc)
Toei and Toriyama know that they can always count on the Z brand.
Despite, I really like your headcanon that Zamasu wasn't in Goku's flashback in Broly because he wasn't a threat to the Present timeline.
ZombieVito wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:09 pm
Rafa Fast wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:17 am
ZombieVito wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:40 am Both Broly and Super Hero (Especially the latter) have glaring inconsistencies with the manga. Also, I think someone who worked on Super Hero said they were in different continuities.
Sorry, but would you care to list them please? In both movies I can only find inconsistencies related to things established in the DB Manga rather than Super, as in Broly, Shenlong only being able tu fulfill one wish (while started to make 3 after Dende became Kami) and in Super Hero, the Red Ribbon being aware of Boo as a terrible monster (while everyone should not remember about him due to Shenlong)
I'll try to find that info about the Super Hero continuity too.
Broly:
- The ToP flashback establishes that Goku fought Ribrianne and Kefla but he never did so in the manga.
- Super Saiyan Blue has an aura in the movie and that contradicts directly the manga's Completed Super Saiyan Blue.
- Shenron only doing one wish contradicts only the manga since the anime has Shenron leaving before the last wish is said in episode 68.

Super Hero:
- Gohan uses Super Saiyan when he himself said he will not do it in the manga anymore.
- Gohan doesn't know Piccolo can grow giant when he himself said in the manga that he knows all of Piccolo's techniques.
- Piccolo forgetting he can turn giant is a lot more jarring since he saw 73 do it recently.
- RRA not having any footage of Moro and his army is also jarring since it was a full on invasion through out the whole planet.
- Jiren and Broly still being stronger than Goku and Vegeta directly contradicts the Granolah arc.
-About RRA without any footage of Moro: it's clear that Toei doesn't want manga exclusive content on their productions.
-About Jiren and Broly: I think it's pretty much what everyone already said here, they weren't talking about Jiren being stronger than them, but about his potential and how he's able to grow stronger in a unique way.
-Super Episode 68: I think that was really just meant to be a gag moment, I think it contradicts both comic and animated series.
I think all the other entries make sense, and there are the incosistences with the DB comic book as well...
Hugo Boss wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:23 pm
Rafa Fast wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:47 pm
Hugo Boss wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:20 pm That’s because in the movie-verse Jiren and Broly were the strongest warriors Goku and Vegeta knew about and the ones the broader audience is most familiar with.

The manga version of Super Hero has instead Black Freeza as their benchmark to surpass. I doubt Jiren will even be brought up there, but who knows.
Regarding the second paragraph, For me it's rather only the scenes in Beerus' Planet, I've already said in another thread that they were very clearly Toei's idea, and of course they wanted scenes with Goku and Vegeta in the movie to make the movie sell better, which explains all this.
Regarding the first paragraph, I've talked about that just above.
This is simply a case in which Toriyama and Toyotaro think differently.

Nothing implies the scenes in Beerus' Planet is "Toei" addition, the whole movie was written by Toriyama himself, including Goku listing Jiren, Broly and the Gods of Destruction as people stronger than him. Take into account this directly contradicts manga-only arcs in which Goku has surpassed Jiren, Broly and most of the Gods of Destruction, probably remaining only Beerus and Quitela ahead.
My bad, it's that I've heard multiple times about the Beerus Planet scenes being last minute additions made by Toei for the movie (which would explain why they visually doesn't look very good compared to the rest of the movie)
And I think it makes sense, movie being 100% Tori would explain the incosistencies as well.
But what you exactly you meant with "Toriyama and Toyotaro think differently"?
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:02 am

Jiren is still a big deal for the anime watchers only. :lol:

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:27 am

Rafa Fast wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:22 pm or Zamasu referenced in ToP
I recall two times he was mentioned actually in the Anime, first by Gowasu when he's trying to recruit fighters for the Tournament (he doesn't want to recruit another dangerous individual like Zamasu), then by Goku after Zeno erases the first universe, as it reminds him of the erasure of Infinite Zamasu and FT timeline. In the Manga, I remember that he was mentioned by Rumsshi when the Grand Priest called a summit of all the Gods, as Rumsshi thought it had something to do with Zamasu's actions.
even Moro was referenced in Granolla arc (not counting his cameo in the first chapter of the arc)
I recall a flashback to him in the first part of the Granolah fight, as Granolah used one of Moro's technique.

Broly and Super Hero are branded as DBS movies, not DBZ movies, so clearly the producers weren't worried about the "DBZ" brand being bigger than the "DBS" brand or anything like that. You can see that the movies still had several references to the Tournament of Power.

Plus, the vast majority of the people who watched the movies would have obviously watched the DBS Anime too.
Cell also appears, there's even less reasons for him to appear than Zamasu
Actually that's false, because Goku was talking specifically about the situation on Earth and the enemies on Earth, and Zamasu simply wasn't an enemy to Goku's Earth. He was an enemy to Future Trunks' Earth, not to Goku's Earth, so it wouldn't make sense to mention him. Just like he didn't mention the Evil 17 and 18 from FT's Earth. The Present Zamasu never managed to become a threat to Goku's Earth as he was erased by Beerus before he could put his plan in motion, so mentioning him wouldn't make sense.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:45 am

Miracles wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:02 am Jiren is still a big deal for the anime watchers only. :lol:
Pretty much my reaction when watching the movie for the first time XD
SupremeKai25 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:27 am
Rafa Fast wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:22 pm or Zamasu referenced in ToP
I recall two times he was mentioned actually in the Anime, first by Gowasu when he's trying to recruit fighters for the Tournament (he doesn't want to recruit another dangerous individual like Zamasu), then by Goku after Zeno erases the first universe, as it reminds him of the erasure of Infinite Zamasu and FT timeline. In the Manga, I remember that he was mentioned by Rumsshi when the Grand Priest called a summit of all the Gods, as Rumsshi thought it had something to do with Zamasu's actions.
even Moro was referenced in Granolla arc (not counting his cameo in the first chapter of the arc)
I recall a flashback to him in the first part of the Granolah fight, as Granolah used one of Moro's technique.
Didn't remember them, thanks a lot.
Broly and Super Hero are branded as DBS movies, not DBZ movies, so clearly the producers weren't worried about the "DBZ" brand being bigger than the "DBS" brand or anything like that. You can see that the movies still had several references to the Tournament of Power.

Plus, the vast majority of the people who watched the movies would have obviously watched the DBS Anime too.
It's interesting to see that there are people who believes that Toei have confidence on the Super brand, the huge amount of Z references in both animated series and movies always said the contrary for me, of course, there are non-convenient references (Kaioken for example, it's not convenient having Vegeta remember the Saiyan saga just by seeing Goku reusing Kaioken after ages) but most of the time it gives me the feeling that they really try everything to put some Z references and material in animated adaptations of Super, Moro and Granolla are the only arcs that they really tried to move away from Z stuff, but that was the Manga, the comic doesn't need to take as much risk as Animations do.
For me the ToP is only referenced because that saga was Peak Super, not because I think it was the best, but because you can't refuse that it was where Super sold better, the amount of hype and merchandise surrouding this arc can't compare to the previous 2, so yeah, commercialy, the ToP was Super's strongest point, and for me it's the reason for why they still are referencing this arc so much in media like video games, and not so much the Black arc for example.
Plus, it was the last arc, the latest animsted production aside from the Movies and the SDBH spin-off.
What it have to do with the thread? It's also one of the reasons for Jiren to be mentioned in Super Hero imo.
Actually that's false, because Goku was talking specifically about the situation on Earth and the enemies on Earth, and Zamasu simply wasn't an enemy to Goku's Earth. He was an enemy to Future Trunks' Earth, not to Goku's Earth, so it wouldn't make sense to mention him. Just like he didn't mention the Evil 17 and 18 from FT's Earth. The Present Zamasu never managed to become a threat to Goku's Earth as he was erased by Beerus before he could put his plan in motion, so mentioning him wouldn't make sense.
Yeah that was bs what I said, makes sense.
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:28 pm

Rafa Fast wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:22 pm But what you exactly you meant with "Toriyama and Toyotaro think differently"?
Different power hierarchy on god level characters.

Movie - Jiren/Broly > Gods of Destruction > Goku/Vegeta/Freeza

Manga - Beerus > Freeza > Goku/Vegeta/Granolah > Jiren/Broly

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:35 pm

Hugo Boss wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:28 pm
Rafa Fast wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:22 pm But what you exactly you meant with "Toriyama and Toyotaro think differently"?
Different power hierarchy on god level characters.

Movie - Jiren/Broly > Gods of Destruction > Goku/Vegeta/Freeza

Manga - Beerus > Freeza > Goku/Vegeta/Granolah > Jiren/Broly
That's actualy interesting to think about, in DBSB you have Goku thinking that Broly may be stronger than Beerus.
There aren't comments regarding someone supposedly being stronger than Beerus in the manga IIRC.

Peach
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Peach » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:22 pm

No.

Vegeta says it himself in the new movie that Jiren isn't that much stronger than them. He's just able to bring out more of his power.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:47 am

Peach wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:22 pm No.

Vegeta says it himself in the new movie that Jiren isn't that much stronger than them. He's just able to bring out more of his power.
Vegeta says that Jiren in truth wasn't that much stronger (present tense? past tense? it's not clear), but because he can use his powers to the fullest he seems overpowering.

That... Still sounds like a big deal.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:00 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 4:29 pm Granola and Moro obviously didn't happen in the movie continuity.
They probably did, but they didn't reference it to avoid confusing the audience. Otherwise, people will be confused if they missed anything. It's not the first time that a DB movie didn't reference anything to avoid spoilers. DBZ Movie 13 did the same by not telling the audience that Goku killed Buu.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Zillamon51
Beyond Newbie

Post by Zillamon51 » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:08 am

Jiren is still alive, and presumably still training. Of course Goku wonders about how strong he'll be when they meet again.
Miracles wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:02 am Jiren is still a big deal for the anime watchers only. :lol:
Which is the vast, vast majority of the fandom. You know, the audience that has to show up to justify the time and expense of producing a theatrical movie. These events will probably be referenced in future movies, only after they've been adapted into the anime.
"...It’s still going to be the same sort of easy-to-understand content as always." - Akira Toriyama, on transitioning from DBZ to DBS.

"Just repeat to yourself, It's just a show,
I should really just relax..." - MST3K theme song

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:29 am

I'd feel kind of bad for Hit if Jiren wasn't considered a big deal anymore. As a character Jiren has to stay reletively strong because that's all he's got.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:49 pm

BWri wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:29 am I'd feel kind of bad for Hit if Jiren wasn't considered a big deal anymore. As a character Jiren has to stay reletively strong because that's all he's got.
Only if they think in creating another Multiverse Saga
Just look at Heroes, always bringing Jiren and Hit back ^^

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:50 pm

Vegeta merely theorized that Jiren wasn't all that much stronger than Kakarot and he were during the tournament of power. Whis seemed to agree with this.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:30 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:50 pm Vegeta merely theorized that Jiren wasn't all that much stronger than Kakarot and he were during the tournament of power. Whis seemed to agree with this.
lol that's clearly a nerf. Funny how nobody said that before ToP but now they do since Jiren is 'old news'.

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:50 pm

Jiren is absolutely a big deal, because he reached a realm few mortals ever have, that of a God of Destruction.

And he did it through discipline, training, and technique. He's not just a fighter with strength that far outstrips the normal levels that Goku and Vegeta use, but he's ALSO a fighter who does so while perfectly controlling his strength to not waste energy while maximizing his efficiency to amplify his strength further.

He's an example that Goku and Vegeta would certainly be inspired by given he doesn't have any known "shortcuts" like transformations, rage boosts, etc., all while achieving these heights with extremely useful martial arts techniques that could only be outmatched by a special ability that only the literal best martial artists in all of existence can consistently utilize.

He was the first fighter on the level of a God of Destruction that Goku and Vegeta ever faced, and this level is still very much relevant even a few years later, like how Cell was still a major measuring stick for the levels pre-Buu/SS3.

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Wed Mar 08, 2023 5:27 pm

I honestly don't know. It's a good question.

Him being mentioned in 2 straight films afterwards leads me to think so. Especially if he's still training, which is very likely and he had a huge impact on Goku reaching a new level that's oddly only explored in the manga.

That said, SO MUCH has happened since the ToP and a decent amount of time has passed, so it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't. Jiren at the end of ToP is likely fodder to someone like even Moro. Hell, that Jiren was weaker than ToP UI Goku. It's also worth noting that the films AND manga put a greater focus on Frieza, than Jiren. Vegeta, in Broly, even predicted Freeza might get stronger (and he did, going Black in the manga). This kinda adds to the idea that Jiren might be old news.

It seems like a toss up.