Crunchyroll re-releasing Dragon Ball GT on DVD in February 2023

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Crunchyroll re-releasing Dragon Ball GT on DVD in February 2023

Post by GokuDaimao » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:40 am

As pointless and counterproductive as this release is, two things I will speak of positively about it, is that A) it uses the original Dragon Ball GT logo, as opposed to the dumb-looking metallic one that FUNimation came up with in an attempt to step into the grand tour:

Crunchyroll cover.

FUNimation cover.

Another thing is that (and this is just a guess based on other recent Crunchyroll-branded sets), the packing will be very basic and progressive as opposed to complicated and easy-to-damage as FUNimation's various brick sets were.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:24 am

GokuDaimao wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:40 am
Another thing is that (and this is just a guess based on other recent Crunchyroll-branded sets), the packing will be very basic and progressive as opposed to complicated and easy-to-damage as FUNimation's various brick sets were.
I own the Blue Bricks (I doubt I'l ever bother to own Z given the lack of viable options and if I feel inclined to own GT I better hurry and buy the Wal-mart complete series set before it goes out of print) and while I'm no fan of that awkward disk overlapping each other packaging Funimation went with I can't imagine buying the same sets twice for the exact same content just for more convenient disk packaging. Much less a set that's over twice the price of the last one.

GokuDaimao
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuDaimao » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:54 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:24 am
GokuDaimao wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:40 am
I own the Blue Bricks (I doubt I'l ever bother to own Z given the lack of viable options and if I feel inclined to own GT I better hurry and buy the Wal-mart complete series set before it goes out of print) and while I'm no fan of that awkward disk overlapping each other packaging Funimation went with I can't imagine buying the same sets twice for the exact same content just for more convenient disk packaging. Much less a set that's over twice the price of the last one.
I agree with you in theory. But I just think that these two things are worth pointing out since this set will exist anyway.

M16U3L2015
Not-So-Newbie

Post by M16U3L2015 » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:10 pm

ZodaEX wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:31 pm
Anonymous Friend wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:39 pm I haven't bought any home releases in over a decade, but are we still on DVD? Why not bluray?

Since GT hasn't been remastered in HD, a Blu-ray release would be a very limited benefit. And it might be easier to convince people to pay more for the set if it was on more discs too due to the perceived value.
At least they could try to release an SD Blu-Ray, it will be better quality than DVD and have more episodes per disc.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:24 pm

M16U3L2015 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:10 pm
ZodaEX wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:31 pm
Anonymous Friend wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:39 pm I haven't bought any home releases in over a decade, but are we still on DVD? Why not bluray?

Since GT hasn't been remastered in HD, a Blu-ray release would be a very limited benefit. And it might be easier to convince people to pay more for the set if it was on more discs too due to the perceived value.
At least they could try to release an SD Blu-Ray, it will be better quality than DVD and have more episodes per disc.
You don't know that it would be better quality than the past DVDs we've received.
Just look at the DBZ season Blu-ray sets. They arguably look worse than the previous DVD release.
It could go either way on picture quality.

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:27 pm

M16U3L2015 is talking about SD in Blu-ray (which is something only Discotek does really), it would be the same footage and quality as the current DVDs just without most of the compression issues.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:28 pm

omegalucas wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:27 pm M16U3L2015 is talking about SD in Blu-ray (which is something only Discotek does really), it would be the same footage and quality as the current DVDs just without most of the compression issues.
I know what he's talking about. SD on Blu-ray is still on Blu-ray is it not?

Also, you don't know that a SD on Blu-ray release of Dragon Ball GT would be the same quality or better as previous DVD releases. This is just speculation on your behalf. It could go either way. Just look at the German SD on Blu-ray release of Robocop the TV series for proof that a SD on Blu-ray release can look worse than a show's previous DVD release.

HarveyPlissken

Post by HarveyPlissken » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:24 pm

So, for anyone who actually owns both the Funimation Green Bricks and the Crunchyroll 2023 DVDs, can you upload pictures and compare the two releases?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:46 pm

HarveyPlissken wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:24 pm So, for anyone who actually owns both the Funimation Green Bricks and the Crunchyroll 2023 DVDs, can you upload pictures and compare the two releases?
It is just the Green Bricks

Vidsigma wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:45 am Alright, so I got my copy in since I've been needing to replace the ones I've had since 2009.

To no one's surprise, it's the same exact release it has been for the past 12 years. Only thing new is the case was updated to better mesh with the look of the Steelbooks and the Walmart 3 packs. Only inconsistency is that the back lists English 5.1 and Japanese Stereo as the audio options, which isn't the case. The Japanese track is still in Mono, and both the English 5.1 (original soundtrack) and the English Stereo (US soundtrack) options are still there. Pretty sure the ads on the disc might wind up being the same too, first disc had an ad for the Z Movie 5 & 6 double feature, but I'd have to double check my original season 1 set to confirm.

But yeah, nothing new here, same as it's always been, just in new packaging as suspected.

Catsenti

Post by Catsenti » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:23 am

Are any logos changed? I know the Yu Yu Hakusho limited edition set changed the credits slightly and replaced all Funimation logos with Crunchyroll ones, were similar changes made here?

Vidsigma

Post by Vidsigma » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:19 pm

HarveyPlissken wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:24 pm So, for anyone who actually owns both the Funimation Green Bricks and the Crunchyroll 2023 DVDs, can you upload pictures and compare the two releases?
There's no difference outside of the new cover art. The discs are the same you'd get in the Green Bricks, all the way down to Funimation's logo still being on the discs.
Catsenti wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:23 am Are any logos changed? I know the Yu Yu Hakusho limited edition set changed the credits slightly and replaced all Funimation logos with Crunchyroll ones, were similar changes made here?
Nope. Only updated logos are on the cover. The discs and content on the discs all still seem to use the old Funimation logo from when they first released the Green Bricks.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:50 pm

Vidsigma wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:19 pm
There's no difference outside of the new cover art. The discs are the same you'd get in the Green Bricks, all the way down to Funimation's logo still being on the discs.
Catsenti wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:23 am Are any logos changed? I know the Yu Yu Hakusho limited edition set changed the credits slightly and replaced all Funimation logos with Crunchyroll ones, were similar changes made here?
Nope. Only updated logos are on the cover. The discs and content on the discs all still seem to use the old Funimation logo from when they first released the Green Bricks.
I wouldn't be surprised if they literally took the discs out of the leftover unsold stock of Green brick/complete series boxes FUNi still had and quickly slapped them into these new cases. The same exact discs that have been available for well over a decade now. Which in turn makes me think when they eventually get around to re releasing OG DB it'll literally be the same discs from the Blue bricks lazily repackaged with no changes at all. Given what this reissue turned out to be, the latter happening with DB wouldn't be a stretch.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

NeoKING
Advanced Regular

Post by NeoKING » Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:21 pm

Probably in preparation for new GT content from Toei?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:23 pm

NeoKING wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:21 pm Probably in preparation for new GT content from Toei?
Probably not