Anyone else not having any problems with Trunks x Mai?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Anyone else not having any problems with Trunks x Mai?

Post by Psajdak » Sun Mar 12, 2023 2:52 am

Talking about their current selves, although same could maybe be said about their future versions as well, I guess.

The whole Mai is old woman in young body thing, and she is supposed to be love interest for young teenage boy Trunks CAN sound creepy when you think about it, but in this particular case, and seeing how Mai is personalitywise ever since she returned in story together with Pilaf, and Shu, it more seems like a unique situation in her, and Trunks' lives, than pedophilia.

The way I see it, it's her being given a new life, or being reincarnated without dying first, and having an opportunity for being happy.

Like yeah, she still has her old memories, and is mature, but I do think that there is something to be said about having a young body, especially good looking one (Mai is considered beautiful by DB standards), and how much it can affect one's personality, and make them think, and behave younger, regardless of their actual age.

Other than that, when you think about it, aside from that part in BoG when Mai takes Trunks hostage (which was a joke anyway, since we know what is even little Trunks capable of), ever since her return she was always portrayed as serious, caring, intelligent, observative, and overall just positive force.

Bulma seems to like her too, and I am sure she's aware of Mai's mental age.

If Mai existed IRL, in the same situation, and ended up in highschool, where everyone knew that she's actually decades old than them, I think most young men would still want to date, and marry her.

I know I would.

SSJ YUSUKE
Beyond Newbie

Re: Anyone else not having any problems with Trunks x Mai?

Post by SSJ YUSUKE » Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:55 am

There is nothing wrong with their relationship at all..in fact its one of my favourites.

I mean if you want to talk about problematic relationships, isn't 18 technically a teenager? So wouldn't that make 18 and Krillin a weirder relationships??
And lets not forget about Table and his wife...
And if we look at Future Mai and Future Trunks we know that their shared experience has brought them closer together, Present day Trunks and Mai are still growing so they still plenty of time to grow together and build a relationship that makes sense.
Dragonball is a wacky series with all kinds of weird characters and relationships. Trunks and Mai isn't really that weird.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:20 pm

Worth pointing out they're not even a couple (yet). They might become one, but this mini saga resolved with her having no interest in Trunks whatsoever and being more concerned with killing Hedo. She said she'd go on a date with Trunks if he got Hedo, but she has no interest in him. It's more funny than romantic.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:24 pm

Mai seemed interested in Trunks when he was in his Saiyan Man costume. Mai is about Trunks age, thanks to the Dragon Balls.

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:33 pm

Some strange mental gymnastics going on here. There are easier/less problematic explanations than many already presented in this thread. I cannot understand the need to make some of this okay.

To Psajdak

To SSJ YUSUKE

GreatSaiyaman123 has a good point. They aren't even dating and Mai seems uninterested. Why we are so quick to defend potential pedophilia is strange to me. The point for the other side is, again, that Dragon Ball has not treated these relationships in an appropriate way. Beyond that, there is no reason to draw in these problems. The creators are consciously choosing to make yet another odd romantic pairing, but we should wait to see what happens.

The argument where it's okay they date only works for two scenarios in my opinion.
  • Mai begins to seriously pursue Trunks after he's an adult.
  • Mai's mentality was completely reverted when she was wished into a child.
I suppose it's okay if she "dates" him with no intent to be serious as to uphold her end of their deal. With Dragon Ball's track record, though, I am not a fan of it.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Peril » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:13 am

I see it as a reincarnation scenario

I think Mai's mental maturity was altered to reflect her physical age. That's just how I personally percieve her. She is still more mature than Trunks but not in an adult/child power dynamic way.
I would argue she is a dumb kid in her own right for still crushing on Future Trunks. If Mai was still an old person I'd have a tough time believing she would be crushing on anyone that young.

But then...this is Dragonball...
But yeah. Are romances with 300 year old vampire chicks\dudes gonna be considered pedophilia now?

So I say safest option is no relationship until they are adults. But tbh, I dont like the ship. Trunks and Mai have negative chemistry, Mai doesnt even like it and Trunks might as well be wearing "romance repellant" spray right now. Dragonball itself isnt even mature enough to explore the weird dynamics they have set up, and there are no external circumstances to bring them together in this timeline.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:29 am

As I already wrote elsewhere, Mai has always been my favourite female character in Dragon Ball, and I wish Trunks the best of luck.

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:23 am

fleahop wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:33 pm Very weird view that only hurts your argument.

The rest of your argument only talks about how it's okay for Mai and you even state that you believe she had her memories and maturity from her older self. It doesn't matter if you think the actual child would want that. It doesn't matter if you think his mom knows. It doesn't matter if she is in a young body so she feels youthful. This is about it not being cool because Trunks is a child.
What gives YOU right to decide what is cool, or isn't?

Very old people, or beings in young bodies being in relationship with humans of Trunks' age was around for a while now in fiction, vampires first come to mind.

IRL, people have been dating, having sex, and getting married for 2-3 years before they reached the age of consent, plus, it kinda all depends on country as well - AFAIK, in Japan, origin of Dragon Ball, it's nothing strange to start sleeping with others when you are, like, 13, or something.
Nothing else really matters.
If Trunks and Mai were real, and you came to them, preaching how wrong it is for them to be together with each other, I really wonder how they would react.

Actually, I really doubt you would even dare to bother them.

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Peril » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:11 am

Lets not twist fiction and reality. Thats gross. Japan finally banned cp in like...2014? Thats terrible.

I still dont think vampire x mortal romance is weird off the top. Mortal x really old people who look young is an ancient trope. And I dont think the no longer existent age gap between mai and trunks is meant to matter anymore. Didnt the pilaf gang turn back into babies via the dragon balls? A soft reboot. But magical fictional stuff isnt an excuse for real life nonsense.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:52 am

Psajdak wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:23 am Very old people, or beings in young bodies being in relationship with humans of Trunks' age was around for a while now in fiction, vampires first come to mind.
Those stories are not typically aimed at kids like Dragon Ball is.
Psajdak wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:23 amIRL, people have been dating, having sex, and getting married for 2-3 years before they reached the age of consent, plus, it kinda all depends on country as well - AFAIK, in Japan, origin of Dragon Ball, it's nothing strange to start sleeping with others when you are, like, 13, or something.
That does not make it right, holy shit. Lawful does not moral make.

Besides, the age of consent is actively in the process of being raised to sixteen because people know that it's wrong for an adult to do those things to a thirteen year old.
Psajdak wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:23 am If Trunks and Mai were real, and you came to them, preaching how wrong it is for them to be together with each other, I really wonder how they would react.

You're being fucking ridiculous.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:42 pm

I don't have all of their interactions fresh in my mind, but I feel the most problematic thing of all is from BoG, with Mai being aware of her age and all. If we were to drop that, and just go with her just being more mature but still a kid then it wouldn't be dangerous at all.

But she never ever, not even now, showed any interest in Trunks, it was always one-sided. And, isn't Trunks almost 18 years old now anyway? the creepy period of time is almost over, hell... at 17 he can get a pass, too. When he's gonna start using his tool then, when he's 29?
Psajdak wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:23 amIRL, people have been dating, having sex, and getting married for 2-3 years before they reached the age of consent, plus, it kinda all depends on country as well - AFAIK, in Japan, origin of Dragon Ball, it's nothing strange to start sleeping with others when you are, like, 13, or something.
Cultural differences doesn't make it right, that isn't an argument. They stone women on other countries, it isn't ok just because someone else does it.

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Peril » Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:31 pm

Psajdak wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:23 am If Trunks and Mai were real, and you came to them, preaching how wrong it is for them to be together with each other, I really wonder how they would react.

If they were real then Mai would still be old and nowhere near Trunks. Or they'd both be teenagers. But no magic, no age changing, none of that. So I dont really understand what you are trying to say. Dragonball isnt real life. :lol:

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:18 pm

Peril wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:31 pm If they were real then Mai would still be old and nowhere near Trunks. Or they'd both be teenagers. But no magic, no age changing, none of that. So I dont really understand what you are trying to say. Dragonball isnt real life. :lol:
You missed my point.

Doesn't matter.

Some people will always be late bloomers, or virgins who care about what is "okay".

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:53 pm

Lol, I don't even really disagree with the idea of the thread, but that is a straaaaaaange post.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:21 pm

Psajdak wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:18 pm
Peril wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:31 pm If they were real then Mai would still be old and nowhere near Trunks. Or they'd both be teenagers. But no magic, no age changing, none of that. So I dont really understand what you are trying to say. Dragonball isnt real life. :lol:
You missed my point.

Doesn't matter.

Some people will always be late bloomers, or virgins who care about what is "okay".
Trunks isn't a late bloomer, he's 12-17 years old across these scenes with Mai.

Furthermore...what does being a virgin have to do with anything? Not everyone is obsessed with the idea of having sex for the first time.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:03 pm

I wasn't talking about Trunks.

fleahop
Beyond Newbie

Post by fleahop » Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:41 pm

Psajdak wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:18 pm Some people will always be late bloomers, or virgins who care about what is "okay".
Did you somehow get transported from the year 2005? :lol:

Don't try to strangely attack people (or attack people at all) because the majority of responses have not agreed with you. This is a bad take, and I would know as I've had plenty of awful takes myself. I think I get where you're going on some of your points, but you're pushing it too far.

I am unsure if we have an official age on Trunks during this time yet. Honestly, it doesn't matter to me if we did. He's in high school and nowhere near mature enough to be ready to engage in a relationship with a woman like Mai. That is where the problem lies. She would be taking advantage of his lack of experience and immaturity in a relationship. Young, inexperienced, immature people should date each other as they are on equal footing in the relationship and neither understands the implications of their actions fully. When one person does understand, the imbalance is gross and definitely should not be promoted.

Culture aside, harm is harm. When one person/entity holds more power in any type of relationship the imbalance can be dangerous. This is amplified in the young. Romantic/sexual relationships amplify this further as the effects of these relationships will reverberate throughout all aspects a person's life. Additionally, those that are harmed in such a way have a much higher tendency conduct those harms themselves. Why does it matter in media? Because while art imitates life, so too does life imitate art. Only with more consequences.

Oh, and if I did see this happening and somehow knew/could prove that the teenage girl was actually an old lady?
I wouldn't preach to the couple. That's pointless. I would give the information to parents and officials. If you have a child or are the guardian of one I think you could imagine this scenario. Imagine Mai as her true age and tell me that's normal.

Edit: in light of the OP's reply, I will not be participating in this thread anymore. They obviously are not taking this seriously in any way.
Last edited by fleahop on Mon Mar 13, 2023 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Movie 1/Dead Zone >>> DBS Broly

I'll die on this hill

Psajdak
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Psajdak » Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:22 pm

fleahop wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:41 pm Did you somehow get transported from the year 2005? :lol:

Don't try to strangely attack people (or attack people at all) because the majority of responses have not agreed with you. This is a bad take, and I would know as I've had plenty of awful takes myself. I think I get where you're going on some of your points, but you're pushing it too far.

I am unsure if we have an official age on Trunks during this time yet. Honestly, it doesn't matter to me if we did. He's in high school and nowhere near mature enough to be ready to engage in a relationship with a woman like Mai. That is where the problem lies. She would be taking advantage of his lack of experience and immaturity in a relationship. Young, inexperienced, immature people should date each other as they are on equal footing in the relationship and neither understands the implications of their actions fully. When one person does understand, the imbalance is gross and definitely should not be promoted.

Culture aside, harm is harm. When one person/entity holds more power in any type of relationship the imbalance can be dangerous. This is amplified in the young. Romantic/sexual relationships amplify this further as the effects of these relationships will reverberate throughout all aspects a person's life. Additionally, those that are harmed in such a way have a much higher tendency conduct those harms themselves. Why does it matter in media? Because while art imitates life, so too does life imitate art. Only with more consequences.

Oh, and if I did see this happening and somehow knew/could prove that the teenage girl was actually an old lady?
I wouldn't preach to the couple. That's pointless. I would give the information to parents and officials. If you have a child or are the guardian of one I think you could imagine this scenario. Imagine Mai as her true age and tell me that's normal.
I slept with adults well before reaching the legal age myself.

Would my parents be against if they knew?
They would be furious.

I love, and respect them, but if did everything they expected from me, I would have missed on so many things I enjoy in life.

Was it wrong in the eyes of most people?
Maybe, but the only thing I cared about was pleasure, especially at that age.
Don't regret it one fucking bit.

As for Mai, again, most men wouldn't give a fuck about how old she is if her body is that of a beautiful, attractive girl in her teens.

She is actually rather pure (had some scenes being shocked at people holding hands even, or something), but even if deep down she was perverted, deranged predator, that would be irrelevant to guys, especially the horny ones.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:22 pm

I can't process whatever the hell is supposed to be going on here so for the time being I'm just locking the thread.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!