Toei Animation Is Creating PreCure Series For Adults, Might Dragon Ball Be Next?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Toei Animation Is Creating PreCure Series For Adults, Might Dragon Ball Be Next?

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:43 am

Two PreCure series will be receiving official animated series sequels with the Yes! PreCure 5 characters as adults and Mahou Tsukai PreCure 2 being a direct sequel to the original series. Both projects are aimed at an adult audience. This comes on the heels of Digimon projects such as Digimon Adventure tri and Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna.

Now, what these two projects mostly have in common are that they are not based off of manga, but rather original media mix projects led by Toei Animation and Bandai. This sets them apart from Dragon Ball in that Dragon Ball is a comic created and owned by Toriyama Akira. It does make me wonder, though, if projects like these might inspire Toei Animation to negotiate projects aimed closer to an adult audience, rather than a child-aimed audience like all other previous Dragon Ball animated projects.

I think the chances of this are realistically nil but it's still funny to ponder.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Re: Toei Animation Is Creating PreCure Series For Adults, Might Dragon Ball Be Next?

Post by WittyUsername » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:02 pm

What exactly would a Dragon Ball series for adults entail?

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Re: Toei Animation Is Creating PreCure Series For Adults, Might Dragon Ball Be Next?

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:48 am

WittyUsername wrote: ↑Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:02 pm What exactly would a Dragon Ball series for adults entail?
Think of the early Dragon Ball chapters. That's it, you're there.

Wrigglything
Beyond Newbie

Post by Wrigglything » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:13 am

Well, if DB were to dip into more mature content, I certainly hope it wouldn't be one of those continuations.

At most, I'd see a one off or an offshoot rather than a follow up a la Super with that sort of idea.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:16 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: ↑Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:48 am
WittyUsername wrote: ↑Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:02 pm What exactly would a Dragon Ball series for adults entail?
Think of the early Dragon Ball chapters. That's it, you're there.
Can haz Vegeta Γ— Blooma NTR where he steals Blooma from Yamcha? πŸ€”
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

GokuHater
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GokuHater » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:32 am

DB for adults... Why did I feel Evolution vibes :p

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:34 am

GokuHater wrote: ↑Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:32 am DB for adults... Why did I feel Evolution vibes :p
I mean, the problem with Evolution was that it was bad, not that it was different.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:53 pm

I dont see how shifting the series rating to 18+ would be a benefit in any real way. The raunchy humor is fine but not necessary and I also have no interest in seeing Krillin battle a pill addiction
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MuscleRobo » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:18 pm

goku the krump dancer wrote: ↑Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:53 pm I dont see how shifting the series rating to 18+ would be a benefit in any real way. The raunchy humor is fine but not necessary and I also have no interest in seeing Krillin battle a pill addiction
If you're familiar with Ojamajo Doremi, another magical girl show, they had a sequel movie as well recently "aimed at adults." It didn't necessarily mean R18 but dealt with fans of the show having the show be a comfort to them in a more cruel modern day. It was quite meta and really interesting.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:02 pm

Toei has done Kamen Rider stuff for a grown up auddience. So anything is possible.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:09 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote: ↑Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:02 pm Toei has done Kamen Rider stuff for a grown up auddience. So anything is possible.
Oh yeah, putting aside the prestige series Kamen Rider Black Sun they've also done short films and specials with a more 'adult' flavor. Hell, even in the Rider Time Ryuuki specials there was a sex scene between two men, which is always nice to have.

Again, though, Kamen Rider isn't a manga series with a living original creator, so I feel like it's a bit different from Dragon Ball but I would absolutely love to be wrong.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:42 pm

MuscleRobo wrote: ↑Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:18 pm If you're familiar with Ojamajo Doremi, another magical girl show, they had a sequel movie as well recently "aimed at adults." It didn't necessarily mean R18 but dealt with fans of the show having the show be a comfort to them in a more cruel modern day. It was quite meta and really interesting.
There's definitely a difference between something being aimed at adults, and something being meant for 18+, and honestly anime and manga is a medium that shows that off quite well, just look at the huge differences in content in Josei and Senien manga. Some series are definitely way too graphic for kids, but some are just fairly light stories that just deal with concepts that mainly adults would like.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

πŸ‡΅πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΅πŸ‡ΈπŸ‡΅πŸ‡Έ

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:58 pm

I am proud of Kanzenshuu. Most other fans would have nosedive into the possibility of "Adult Dragon Ball." Everyone here already understands there is extremely little that would add to the franchise.

Still I LOVE that Julie made this topic because it is one I always wanted to make and that goes double with any Precure talk. You are awesome Julie!
Marz wrote: ↑Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: ↑Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:57 am

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:43 am Two PreCure series will be receiving official animated series sequels with the Yes! PreCure 5 characters as adults and Mahou Tsukai PreCure 2 being a direct sequel to the original series. Both projects are aimed at an adult audience. This comes on the heels of Digimon projects such as Digimon Adventure tri and Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna.

Now, what these two projects mostly have in common are that they are not based off of manga, but rather original media mix projects led by Toei Animation and Bandai. This sets them apart from Dragon Ball in that Dragon Ball is a comic created and owned by Toriyama Akira. It does make me wonder, though, if projects like these might inspire Toei Animation to negotiate projects aimed closer to an adult audience, rather than a child-aimed audience like all other previous Dragon Ball animated projects.

I think the chances of this are realistically nil but it's still funny to ponder.
For a moment I thought this was an april fool, but it's posted well before first of april. Toei announcing so many non dragon ball shows...

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:36 am

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:43 am Two PreCure series will be receiving official animated series sequels with the Yes! PreCure 5 characters as adults and Mahou Tsukai PreCure 2 being a direct sequel to the original series. Both projects are aimed at an adult audience. This comes on the heels of Digimon projects such as Digimon Adventure tri and Digimon Adventure: Last Evolution Kizuna.
I'm really happy for Mahou Tsukai PreCure 2, i remember how bitter i was when they
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:45 pm

sangofe wrote: ↑Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:57 am

For a moment I thought this was an april fool, but it's posted well before first of april. Toei announcing so many non dragon ball shows...
It is not animated by them BTW. They outsourced it to another studio.
Marz wrote: ↑Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: ↑Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:18 pm

We don't really have any details on these projects yet outside of some staff and the fact that there is a lot of sub-contracting going on, wnough so that the projects are being given other studios as main studios.

Dragon Ball probably would not be given that kind of treatment. I don't see Toei ever letting another studio co-produce the animation for a Dragon Ball series.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:36 pm

I thought the same would go for Sailor Moon but there you go!