When did you get into DB?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

When did you get into DB?

Post by Kappa » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:15 pm

When did you get into DB? And was it your first anime?

I think I got into it around 2003. And it was my second anime (My first was Pokemon).

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: When did you get into DB?

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:45 pm

1999 when my dad brought me and my family to live in America for a few months, so got to see it briefly before it premiered in Ireland the following March.

Indeed Dragon Ball was my first anime, and to this day still my favourite. I remember getting into Pokemon too but it was a little bit later than Dragon Ball.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:03 pm

Never. I have never gotten into Dragon Ball.

Okay, okay, it started back in October or November 1998. My friend and I were in my bedroom organizing Pokemon cards and she turned on the television to Toonami and the original FUNimation dub version of the episode where is using the Reigun from Yuu Yuu Hakusho to kill Namekians was playing that day. It all kind of stumbled down from there.

If we're counting Voltron (1984) as a Japanese cartoon—considering how bastardized it was—then that would be my first Japanese cartoon, follow by Pokemon (1997) and then Dragon Ball Z. I think I still have those old Voltron VHS lying around somewhere, too.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:50 pm

1998, I think march, april, maybe may. The school year had just started, I can remember the dreadful feeling of having an entire year ahead of me, the awful weather, days becoming darker earlier.

I was too much into Saint Seiya, but my brand new football teammates were non-stop discussing about this non-Seiya character I couldn't even be bothered with, until it hit the school playground, too. So I was surrounded and ended up catching on TV when Nappa and Vegeta come out unscathered from the Z gang's attack.

Not my first anime, SS popped my cherry, I'm not sure it was the second one either, I think I also watched Mazinger Z.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:54 pm

I got into it around the Goku vs Freeza fight on Namek but was aware of the show's existence and casually watched it since Saiyan saga reruns on Toonami in late 1998 or early 1999.

I believe Sailor Moon was my first anime as I started watching that when it was still running on th USA Network in 1997.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:21 pm

I was already vaguely aware of "Dee-Bee-Zee" and its general premise through most of my childhood. But what little snippets of the show itself I actually saw seemed corny and stupid, which was understandable given that it was early Android-arc chunks of the English dub. Then sometime in the early 2000's, one of two things happened, and I forget which one was first:

1. I noticed and flipped through some of Viz's early, "comic book style" issues of the original manga in a comic shop, specifically a few chapters of Goku vs Freeza, and was glued to the pages by the action and the banter between the characters.
2. I happened to catch the episode(s) on TV where Goku first goes Super Saiyan 3 and fights Fat Boo, and despite it still being the craptastic English dub version, I was entranced by the scale and style of the transformation and fight itself.

So whichever of those two moments came first, or maybe it was both around the same time... that's when I started thinking, "okay, this might actually be pretty cool," and the rest is history.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:28 pm

If you're interested, there are more posts in this other topic.

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kappa » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:16 pm

nineko wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:28 pm If you're interested, there are more posts in this other topic.
Oh cool. I'll check that out.

Yomi
Regular

Post by Yomi » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:07 pm

I was a big Naruto fan as a child. As an 11 year old posters adorned my wall, I watched it religiously
;and at 13 I even made a website for Naruto Shippuden and pimped it out in school. ANYWAY.

From my point of view, Dragon Ball was just DeeBeeZee, big hair and screaming. With no depth or emotion.
One day as a 13 year old Dragon Ball Kai was airing on Toonami, I decided to just let it play in the background
,it was the episode in which Piccolo was killed by Nappa.

As Piccolo had his little death speech, I inched closer and closer to the television. Completely enamored, it was
very early into summer break, so I spent that entire summer watching Dragon Ball, then Z, then the Black Star Dragon
Ball Arc in GT before dropping it somewhere in the shadow dragon saga. I have never sat down and watched the second half of GT.

The majority of the nostalgia I carry for dragon ball is from the original series, not Z, and I'm a big fan of DBS, probably because
we all watched it together as a community, reacted and speculated together.
:clap:

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Sat Mar 18, 2023 6:05 pm

When the Saiyan Saga was on Cartoon Network, there was no Android Saga at the time. It went from Saiyan Saga until Freeza Saga, then some time later they aired the Android Saga.