"Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super (Manga)" Official Discussion Thread

Post by Cipher » Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:27 am

sangofe wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:50 am*snip*
Five and nine can be read as “go” and “ku” in Japanese (hence the association with the character and May 9 being “Goku Day”), so more than likely it’s just a little Easter egg since something needed to be on the background street sign anyway.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:22 pm

Cipher wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:27 am
Five and nine can be read as “go” and “ku” in Japanese (hence the association with the character and May 9 being “Goku Day”), so more than likely it’s just a little Easter egg since something needed to be on the background street sign anyway.
Did it need that, though? If it was seconds, why would the people crossing the street had done so in a second?

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:48 pm

sangofe wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:22 pm
Did it need that, though? If it was seconds, why would the people crossing the street had done so in a second?
It needed it to let everyone know about the announcement for Dragon Ball Super 2, a seasonal anime by a premier studio that’s going to pick up right where the TV version of the ToP ended and be released this year.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:44 pm

Cipher wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 5:48 pm
It needed it to let everyone know about the announcement for Dragon Ball Super 2, a seasonal anime by a premier studio that’s going to pick up right where the TV version of the ToP ended and be released this year.

son_razor

Post by son_razor » Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:30 pm

Don’t.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:44 am

That sarcasm was a bit fun, I'll give you that. But I'll say that I never mentioned Dragon Ball Super 2. I never said that'll be released this year. In fact I don't think so. If anything it'll be the rumored web anime.

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kappa » Mon Mar 13, 2023 2:19 pm

I almost dropped this the other day. (Cuz Goku gave Moro a senzu bean.) But I decided to stick with it cuz the Goten and Trunks arc sounds pretty cool. And I wanna see Broly in the manga.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:32 pm

I've come around that Senzu thing. Goku tries to spare villains every time, and unlike with RoF he actually had control over the situation and didn't fall for sneak attacks.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kappa » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:05 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:32 pm I've come around that Senzu thing. Goku tries to spare villains every time, and unlike with RoF he actually had control over the situation and didn't fall for sneak attacks.
Yeah, that's true. I think I overreacted. Lol

Btw, I started the Granolah arc. Granlolah seems like an interesting character so far.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:22 pm

Kappa wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:05 pm Yeah, that's true. I think I overreacted. Lol

Btw, I started the Granolah arc. Granlolah seems like an interesting character so far.
We all did lol. This was probably the fan reaction back when Goku spared Freeza or Vegeta as well.

I really liked Granolah at first, but he gets annoying at one point and then treated very poorly. There’s a Super Re-Read thread that’s going over this saga right now. It’s right below the pinned ones in this Subforum.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:17 pm

Kappa wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:05 pmBtw, I started the Granolah arc. Granlolah seems like an interesting character so far.
Indeed, the premises were all good, but prepare to be disappointed and/or bored.

Kappa
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kappa » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:31 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:22 pm
Kappa wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:05 pm Yeah, that's true. I think I overreacted. Lol

We all did lol. This was probably the fan reaction back when Goku spared Freeza or Vegeta as well.

I really liked Granolah at first, but he gets annoying at one point and then treated very poorly. There’s a Super Re-Read thread that’s going over this saga right now. It’s right below the pinned ones in this Subforum.
Cool. Thanks for letting me know. 😊

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:00 pm

When they created Black Frieza, do you think they had Vegeta's warnings about Frieza getting stronger in the Broly movie in mind? Or do folks think it's just a coincidence & an asspull?

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:16 am

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:00 pm When they created Black Frieza, do you think they had Vegeta's warnings about Frieza getting stronger in the Broly movie in mind? Or do folks think it's just a coincidence & an asspull?
I think it’s more than sufficiently set up—while also remaining a fun punchline and surprise—by that line, the appearance of a second Room of Spirit and Time in the Moro arc, and the arc’s own fixations on Freeza and themes surrounding the fleeting status of strongest and shortcuts over hard work (as Freeza essentially just works himself to the bone off-page).

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:34 pm

ClutchBangstrip wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:00 pm When they created Black Frieza, do you think they had Vegeta's warnings about Frieza getting stronger in the Broly movie in mind? Or do folks think it's just a coincidence & an asspull?
Not that they had Black Freeza designed that soon, but Vegeta's warning is certainly foreshadowing Freeza coming back. It's only natural he'd come train and come back for revenge again, too. Freeza is not forgiving.

Rafa Fast
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rafa Fast » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:07 pm

Did everyone seriously forget that Frieza wanted a partner :( ?
I simply wouldn't want to imagine my life without Dragon Ball, thank you Akira Toriyama (1955-2024), you are now immortal.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:35 pm

Assuming an average of 40 pages per DBS chapter and 20 pages per DB chapter, as a rough estimate, if DBS were running weekly, we would be at around 180 chapters at this point. By this point in the original series, we were about 10 chapters away from "Z."

I'm not sure if this info is particularly useful or shocking to anyone, but I thought it was neat to mention.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:15 pm

Yuji wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:35 pm Assuming an average of 40 pages per DBS chapter and 20 pages per DB chapter, as a rough estimate, if DBS were running weekly, we would be at around 180 chapters at this point. By this point in the original series, we were about 10 chapters away from "Z."

I'm not sure if this info is particularly useful or shocking to anyone, but I thought it was neat to mention.
It’s always kind of interesting to compare.

In terms of page count, with 20 volumes out at this point (and almost enough content for the 21st), it’s at the end of the Saiyan arc in terms of the original series. DB had covered seven storylines while Super is now in its sixth (just counting the manga and ignoring unadapted movies, and counting BoG as a prelude to U6).

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Apr 04, 2023 1:23 pm

i'm always going back to FT Trunks arc (my favourite DBS arc) and man, SSB Goku vs Merged Zamasu is still amazing.
As much as I don't like the idea of Goku just easily copy the most OP attack of the franchise, I have to admit seeing a mortal using Hakai against a God, is one of the most memorable moments in the manga and the coolest thing SSB Goku ever did.

Would love a DBS remake with good production, taking the best things of the two mediums and making it the definite product.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:48 pm

My predictions for Freeza

1. He will never die because they keep on bringing him back after he dies. He is like the Jason Voorhees of Dragon Ball with him getting stronger after coming back to life.

2. He will defeat by Vegeta

3. Goku will train Uub to defeat Freeza.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/