Dragon Ball Z Recut (Japanese version) Finished

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Spyro Chris

Re: Dragon Ball Z Recut (Japanese version) Finished

Post by Spyro Chris » Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:59 am

Glad you found a way to deal with the subtitles issue!

As for the bandage, I would need to check the previous episodes to see how exactly I dealt with the whole thing, compared to the manga. I remember that Gohan participates in a small tournament disguised as the Great Saiyaman (which is all filler). I really wanted all that gone but I believe I couldn't make it.

There were two other instances where I couldn't do anything. One is the entire episode of base Vegetto vs Buu (Vegetto goes SSJ instantly in the manga), and another one was SSJ2 Goku vs kid Buu. I couldn't do anything about those due to the way the anime is structured, unfortunately.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Apr 11, 2023 3:46 pm

Could I get a DM please?

Spyro Chris

Post by Spyro Chris » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:39 am

DM sent, but I would honestly wait for the refined version of my Recut, coming out this year, with the help of ThatRandomGuy!

SaqCoyoy

Post by SaqCoyoy » Tue May 02, 2023 4:12 pm

So is Spyro's fan recut getting an update?? That's awesome. It'll be using the broadcast audio right? How far along is it? Would appreciate a DM :-)

Spyro Chris

Post by Spyro Chris » Wed May 03, 2023 3:36 am

Hey there, yes, my recut is getting a MASSIVE update actually!

ThatRandomGuy has already posted a link of his work on it so far, and I'm reviewing any possible mistakes.

https://archive.org/details/dragon-ball-z-recut

(You can use an app such as JDownloader to download it faster). We're up to Frieza so far. Thank you for your patience! Please look forward to the final product!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed May 03, 2023 7:35 am

Spyro Chris wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:36 am Hey there, yes, my recut is getting a MASSIVE update actually!

ThatRandomGuy has already posted a link of his work on it so far, and I'm reviewing any possible mistakes.

(You can use an app such as JDownloader to download it faster). We're up to Frieza so far. Thank you for your patience! Please look forward to the final product!
Will you use the som color correction or the furure AB BD box ?

Spyro Chris

Post by Spyro Chris » Wed May 03, 2023 12:00 pm

sangofe wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 7:35 am
Spyro Chris wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 3:36 am Hey there, yes, my recut is getting a MASSIVE update actually!

The video quality is what I had used in 2018 but cleaned up, if that answers the question. You can check it out from the mkv files in the link posted above.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed May 03, 2023 1:29 pm

Spyro Chris wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 12:00 pm

The video quality is what I had used in 2018 but cleaned up, if that answers the question. You can check it out from the mkv files in the link posted above.
Okay.

ThatRandomGuy

Post by ThatRandomGuy » Thu May 04, 2023 4:59 pm

sangofe wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 1:29 pm

Okay.
Once I am finished with our current WIP I will be remastering it in 4K.
With Gamma Correction.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri May 05, 2023 3:29 am

ThatRandomGuy wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:59 pm
Okay.
With Gamma Correction.
What's the use of upscaling to 4k? Also, be sure to wait a few years to see if any new decent remaster come out.

ThatRandomGuy

Post by ThatRandomGuy » Sat May 06, 2023 7:22 pm

sangofe wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 3:29 am

Okay.
With Gamma Correction.
What's the use of upscaling to 4k? Also, be sure to wait a few years to see if any new decent remaster come out.
I'm not just Upscaling it. This isn't Aninem4x haha.
I actually run a restoration company (fotorestorenz.com) we do more than just stretching the image.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun May 07, 2023 12:29 am

ThatRandomGuy wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 7:22 pm

With Gamma Correction.
I'm not just Upscaling it. This isn't Aninem4x haha.
I actually run a restoration company (fotorestorenz.com) we do more than just stretching the image.
Will you upscale like the AB remasters of DB? What's the point of 4K?

Spyro Chris

Post by Spyro Chris » Sun May 07, 2023 3:51 am

Okay.
With Gamma Correction.
I have actually seen the first episode upscaled to 4K from this recut and the difference is actually massive. Absolutely massive.

As for the "waiting for years for a possible remaster": the point of this recut is to have a product that's as close to the manga as possible. The video (and audio) quality is already very good, as seen in the link posted above, so we're trying to get to a point where anyone can watch this show without fillers, and we believe that we're achieving this goal pretty well indeed.

Waiting for 5+ years for a possible remaster that's gonna improve the image quality by, let's say, 10%, is not feasible, nor is it reliable in any way. That's not something within the scope of this project.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun May 07, 2023 5:00 am

Spyro Chris wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:51 am

With Gamma Correction.
I have actually seen the first episode upscaled to 4K from this recut and the difference is actually massive. Absolutely massive.

As for the "waiting for years for a possible remaster": the point of this recut is to have a product that's as close to the manga as possible. The video (and audio) quality is already very good, as seen in the link posted above, so we're trying to get to a point where anyone can watch this show without fillers, and we believe that we're achieving this goal pretty well indeed.

Waiting for 5+ years for a possible remaster that's gonna improve the image quality by, let's say, 10%, is not feasible, nor is it reliable in any way. That's not something within the scope of this project.
I'd advice to at least wait for SOM's color correction project if you're gonna restore (AI upscale).

ThatRandomGuy

Post by ThatRandomGuy » Sun May 07, 2023 3:40 pm

sangofe wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:00 am

I'd advice to at least wait for SOM's color correction project if you're gonna restore (AI upscale).
Let's unpack this thread a bit. Seems like some points have been misunderstood. 🙂

Waiting on whatever this SOM project is, is not part of the scope for this project.

The point of 4K? Here's my question, what's the point of any fan project with that mindset?

My future, not the main focus of this project, project will be to 4K remaster this project. Not upscale, actually remaster. As I said previously I'm not popping these episodes into that Anime4K(Anime4K CCP) app and praying for the best. I actually do remastering professionally and will be using a massive toolset to achieve it.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon May 08, 2023 12:50 am

ThatRandomGuy wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 3:40 pm
sangofe wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:00 am

Let's unpack this thread a bit. Seems like some points have been misunderstood. 🙂

Waiting on whatever this SOM project is, is not part of the scope for this project.

The point of 4K? Here's my question, what's the point of any fan project with that mindset?

My future, not the main focus of this project, project will be to 4K remaster this project. Not upscale, actually remaster. As I said previously I'm not popping these episodes into that Anime4K(Anime4K CCP) app and praying for the best. I actually do remastering professionally and will be using a massive toolset to achieve it.
Dude. If you remaster you need the film reel source. Anything else in higher resolution is upscaling. Ai might add details but it will never be a proper remaster without rescan of the actual source.

Here is a video for the som project :
https://youtu.be/Ki8hXVjJpxQ

SaqCoyoy

Post by SaqCoyoy » Tue May 09, 2023 2:47 pm

That's great! I really hope it includes all of the endings for the whole series and maybe even the intertitles.

Spyro Chris

Post by Spyro Chris » Tue May 09, 2023 5:47 pm

SaqCoyoy wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 2:47 pm

That's great! I really hope it includes all of the endings for the whole series and maybe even the intertitles.
If you mean the ad breaks and the intros/outros for each episode, then yes absolutely! The Frieza saga will be done very soon. Look forward to it!

SaqCoyoy

Post by SaqCoyoy » Thu May 11, 2023 4:55 pm

Spyro Chris wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:47 pm

If you mean the ad breaks and the intros/outros for each episode, then yes absolutely! The Frieza saga will be done very soon. Look forward to it!
Ohhhh shit then this is gonna be good... with the broadcasts audio to boot?? The original release and this new update use footage from the Dragon Box right? That;s currently the highest quality sources for the whole of Z right?

Spyro Chris

Post by Spyro Chris » Sat May 13, 2023 1:11 am

SaqCoyoy wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:55 pm
Spyro Chris wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:47 pm
Ohhhh shit then this is gonna be good... with the broadcasts audio to boot?? The original release and this new update use footage from the Dragon Box right? That;s currently the highest quality sources for the whole of Z right?
I'm pretty sure it's the Level set at first and then Dragon Box all the way to the end.