Moro arc vs Granolah arc

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Moro arc vs Granolah arc

Post by Yuji » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:15 am

As we segway into an adaptation of Toriyama's movie, we now have two Toyotarou original arcs to analyse. I've binge read the Granolah arc yesterday and I enjoyed it a lot more than reading it monthly. The arc wasn't very well received when it was published, but I think when it comes down to it, the fast-paced action and the character writing makes it a more enjoyable read than the Moro arc which meanders at points.

Moro has the stronger antagonist, but Gas is a decently tragic character, and the fact that nobody seems to care what happens to him at the end of the arc is simultaneously sad and very Dragon Ball. I appreciate what the Moro arc did with Goku in its climax. The conflict between responsibility and desire, having to tamper his emotions to transform, the pity and disgust he has for Moro, the willingness to take a downed opponent's life, the commanding and authoritative tone he uses to say things like "You will never enjoy freedom again" and "You're just a sneaky coward," the impressive self reflection weaponized as an insult via the line "Everyone has limits" - it's all great stuff. I think it's some of the stronger character writing we've received for the character since the Boo arc.

I'm less a fan of what Toyotarou did for Goku in the Granolah arc but I can appreciate the themes he was trying to weave in. I think what he did for Vegeta was fantastic so it evens it out.

Which arc do you prefer, do you notice an improvement in Toyotarou's skill as a writer and are you excited over the prospect of him writing more solo arcs in the future?

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: Moro arc vs Granolah arc

Post by Zephyr » Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:16 am

I didn't really enjoy either arc very much. I'm decidedly not as much a fan of Toyotaro's longform storytelling as I am his abridged and modified retellings of other things. I'm in no hurry to re-read either, and I'm not looking forward to his next solo arc if/when that happens.

I definitely liked Granolah's arc more though. It actually involved Freeza who has gotten even stronger. He shows up and just punks Goku and Vegeta rather than trying to kill them or anything. I'm all for it.

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:17 pm

I think I prefer the Moro arc, although the ending is a little clunky and too many things happen. The Granny arc, however, I find it much easier to read, it's more straightforward so in that regard I prefer it over the Moro arc, but the stories themselves, I prefer Moro's.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:29 pm

I like to think of Moro as being plot-based, while the Granolah saga is character-based. Both sagas still drag like hell towards the middle part, but in hindsight Moro is pretty good, even if it has a much weaker start. Granolah had a lot of wasted potential.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:26 pm

I have to step up to bat for the Granolah arc here.

I enjoy the Moro arc well enough while going through it, and it has some highlights, but pound for pound I think it's probably on the bottom of Super (and therein DB writ large) for me. The plot is bog-standard a supervillain-of-the-day, which in some ways is fine, and I think what a lot of fans wanted out of Super (fair enough), but I think what stands out to me most is just how reverent it feels of Dragon Ball, to the point of relying rather liberally on tried-and-true plot beats and structure from previous arcs. That is, again, something that probably endeared it to others, as it has fairly positive reception among fans--I can see that kind of arc being something that was missing from Super and don't mind the series taking a swing at that once--but I'd be happy not to repeat it. Vegeta has some nice development, and Merus is a serviceable guest character who both helps frame what makes Goku and the series tick and introduces new, humanistic spins on Super-specific elements like the angels' role, but otherwise I don't find that it offers much engaging or unexpected material on the character front to balance its action. Vegeta's role here is also developed in much more interesting ways during the following arc. It doesn't help that the arc also has the distinction of having my least favorite run of chapters in Super, with the fights between the Earthlings and escaped prisoners. The outcome is a foregone conclusion, it's clear we're killing time, and the Earthlings themselves aren't given character beats beyond the thrill of showing up as cameos. (I might feel differently if some actual character moments were tied to them there, but it really feels about as "playing with toys" as the series gets.)

And yet I still do enjoy it. At its worst, it still feels like fun DB. I just wind up in the place of most things it offers being offered in more interesting ways by other arcs, and thus don't often feel compelled to revisit it in particular in the way I do others. It's one I tend to only hit rereading Super as a whole. I don't find it frustrating--just not remarkable.

Granolah, on the other hand, is an arc I like more the more I think about and revisit it, which is as much as you can ask. It has its pacing issues--the last two-thirds of the arc are essentially structured as straight climax, but the fights all feel a little too turn-based and orderly, and the flashback chapters run long. (Said flashback chapters were perhaps intended to break up that feeling of straight climax, but since the characters don't move from their locations and step immediately back into the final round of the fight, they don't wind up serving that role.) Monaito's lines wrapping up the arc's themes are a horrible misfire, pinning the lessons on individuality to races/species instead of the individuals in question (so close!). But I'd rather have an interesting mess than a tame and tidy story, and even with those issues, I think Granolah is far afield of "mess." I find its highlights on both a character and action front much higher than Moro's, on that presentation front it consistently offers Super's best action, and some bits even on par with the action of the original. On the character front, it's far more interesting than Moro, and basically everyone involved, from the protagonists to the villains, wind up feeling sympathetic on some level. I think it offers some of Vegeta's best material since Namek (which I was never expecting Super to turn out at all). It's a refreshingly non-traditional, non-reverent DB arc, in the vein of the earlier Super arcs before it, spinning a deceptively small-scale, character-based conflict out of its cosmic-level premise, and I think it makes good on a lot of it. Nothing in it feels clear cut, it all feels interesting, and I think that's worth whatever quibbles with the pacing I have.

I have trouble deciding which I like better between the Future Trunks arc (manga) and Granolah. The former I feel is tidier as a whole and has nearly perfect pacing, whereas the latter is less tidy and well-paced, but I think has higher highs on all fronts.

At any rate, unlike Moro, the Granolah arc, while not perfect, is one I find myself thinking back on and excited to revisit.

Plot-based vs. character-based does sum up a lot of it.

I'd certainly be interested in seeing Toyotaro take another crack at an original arc (and hope he gets one). The extent to which Granolah is even "his" is a little ambiguous (Toriyama at least produced a fairly final plot outline based on his character/concept pitch). I at least really like his interpretations of Toriyama outlines, but I'd be curious to see what his own full outline for Granolah would have looked like, as well as what he'd do with another shot. His scripting can be a little clunky--certainly compared to Toriyama's--but the world of the Super manga always still feels like Dragon Ball to me, and the characters like themselves. That's more than I can say for basically any other non-Toriyama-scripted DB, outside of possibly some filler episodes in the original run.

jjbgood
Not-So-Newbie

Post by jjbgood » Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:04 am

This is really easy to answer.
The Moro arc is, imho, the best arc in Super so far. Its original, entertaining, has a cool villain and an satisfactory climax.
The Granolah arc on the other hand is hands down the worst arc in super so far. Its stretched, boring, brings nothing new, has no compelling characters, throws away new transformations and a new background story for Bardock, with goku learning about his parentage, achives nothing and ends on a deus ex machina, after months and months of the same boring thing over and over again. The first time i couldnt wait till its over...
HOST AND FOUNDER OF THE GERMAN DRAGON BALL PODCAST "KAMEHAMEHA".
ADVISOR FOR THE GERMAN DUB OF DRAGON BALL SUPER.
FAN FOR OVER 20 YEARS.
https://kame-hame-ha.de/

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:42 am

I actually think they're both derivative in different ways – the Moro arc borrows heavily from the original run, whereas the Granolah arc feels like an elongated DBZ movie (or video game in some respects) where not-Tapion and his tragic backstory faces off against not-Bojack and his crew with lots of flashy moves, transformations, and shallow action setpieces in a dragged out conflict with very flimsy pretext that ultimately meant nothing. The entire second half falls off a cliff where nothing of substance happens and its own main character halts development, whereas Moro at least has a consistent throughline and a pretty satisfying (albeit again, derivative) climax. At least those movies from the 90's were short.

I prefer the one that copies better material. If held at gunpoint, I'll always go for "bland and safe" over "actively bad", so Moro wins by default for me. In any case, both arcs are defined by their abysmal pacing, substandard storytelling, and a tropey adherence to franchise stereotypes, and both generally leave a lot to be desired; it's doubtful that Toriyama had much involvement in either one aside from a few character designs and maybe some story contributions. My personal distaste for the Granolah arc goes so far that even one more like it would be enough to make me call it quits on the manga for good, sadly.

I read Dragon Ball for Dragon Ball, not for Toyotaro. Make no mistake: I'd discard his version of Super without a second thought if Toriyama cared enough to draw his own. But I do appreciate his strengths as a pale imitation of the original author, and he just happens to be doing the preferable version of the series that's available. Save for Granolah, Toei's writers can't compete.

Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Thu Mar 23, 2023 6:45 pm

Neither are great. I'm also leaning towards the Moro arc because it may have been a severe drag in places and quite unambitious on the whole, but it was never as actively terrible as the latter day Granolah arc. The Moro arc essentially benefits from the fact that Toyotaro eventually says "fuck it" and just goes berserk with references, fanservice, character cameos, and elaborate setpieces in a bid to keep our attention. The balance between all these elements is definitely skewed, but I'd also say that Goku vs. Moro is an absolute highlight of the Super manga and one of the most satisfying, fist-pumping climaxes in the series overall. However, the story lacks replay value and I find that it drags even on reread.

Okay, so imagine if a Giant Chicken fight from Family Guy lasted multiple episodes. That basically summarises my feelings on the Gas arc. The Granolah arc, when it actually focused somewhat on the title character, actually had promise. I can appreciate that Toyotaro had some loftier aspirations for a more intimate, character-driven story this time around, and that certainly shined through in the earlier chapters which were really phenomenal. He just dropped the ball hard when the arc started to approach its bloated excuse for a climax.

For me, the core issue is that for a supposedly character-driven story, the characters just aren't there (everyone not named Goku, Vegeta or Granolah, anyway). Monaito has some shades of conflict, but we never get much insight into him beyond the notion of a nice old grandfather figure who gets kicked around constantly for emotional brownie points. The Heeters turned out to be incredibly one-dimensional antagonists, yet we are constantly fed the illusion that there's some great depth or intrigue to them. Oatmeel is a snarky helper robot. And Bardock... What a guy!

Comparisons that both arcs get to the Toei Anime Fair movies confuse me slightly. The Moro arc has some superficial similarities to some of them, but only to the extent as it has similarities to just about every Dragon Ball story ever told. Structurally though, it's not similar at all. It's the quintessential "best of" compilation album for Dragon Ball. I have no idea how the Granolah arc is in any way comparable to the stereotypical Toei movie formula, other than the vague axiom that all Toei-made media = bad.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:17 am

Since I’ve ran out of time to edit that post, I’ll quickly elaborate on some things here.

I’d say the key difference between Toyotaro’s original arcs and the standard Toei movies is that they do a better job of imitating Toriyama’s twisty writing style. Unlike in the movies, the heroes aren’t absolutely guaranteed to succeed, they’re allowed to fail and make mistakes in line with their established characterisation. You’d never see Goku spare a main antagonist in the movies, especially not for the same selfish reasons why he attempted to spare Piccolo, Vegeta, Freeza, etc. many years before. He might get beaten down for a while but he’d always finish the job with a clean fatality. These arcs deal with more complex scenarios of Goku and Vegeta grappling with their own flaws while their enemies exploit their weaknesses. In that sense, the Moro arc has much more in common with Toriyama’s new movies than the old Koyama movies.

The movies also tend to be linear in the progression of threats, with the heroes battling waves of minions before working their way up to the final boss. Usually, that’s where the other Z-Warriors play their role. It’s easy to see comparisons between the gang battling the Tullece Crusher Corps and the gang battling the Moro Corps 30 years later, but the latter comes after Goku and Vegeta already battled Moro himself on Namek. One thing that can be said about the old movies is that they have a workmanlike A-B-C structure with a specific goal to be reached by the end: Goku defeats the villain with a powerful last-ditch move, the status quo is restored. That was completely fine for what Toei were trying to achieve, which was to make entertaining, well-animated teasers to display what the rest of the series is like — with a few notable exceptions, they weren’t really trying to tell compelling character-driven stories. While they could definitely be shallow and ephemeral in that sense, they had a lot of craft and heart put into them in the design and animation department (definitely much more so than ROF, at the very least).

As a long form storyteller, Toyotaro at least seems to understand that the meaty stuff in the middle — seeing Vegeta’s internal conflicts, Merus and Granolah’s backstories, the mysteries behind the villains’ schemes — is the real reason we’re reading, not to rush to an explosive conclusion.

There’s also the idea that Moro and the Heeters are “Toei movie villains” simply because they’re one-dimensional bad guys. They have weak motivations for being evil, they just want to destroy or take over the universe, all that. That trend didn’t start with Toei though, many of the classic Dragon Ball villains also intentionally lack depth and motivation to make it easy to root against them, e.g. the Red Ribbon Army, Piccolo Daimao, Cell, the later forms of Majin Buu. They’re all just bad because they’re bad, we get no deep insight into why they are the way they are, but we give them slack because they’re more entertaining, we spend more time with them, and they have Toriyama’s witty writing backing them. Moro and the Heeters maybe just lack that entertainment factor so that makes them come off as more generic.

Toyotaro’s arcs fall into a similar trap of being too formulaic, but in a different way to the movies. The whole Rocky III revenge routine of Goku and Vegeta encountering the main antagonist early on, fighting him one by one, cycling through all their forms, getting overpowered, and regrouping to train up in order to win the next round occurs across Dragon Ball Super.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:13 am

LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:17 am Toyotaro’s arcs fall into a similar trap of being too formulaic, but in a different way to the movies. The whole Rocky III revenge routine of Goku and Vegeta encountering the main antagonist early on, fighting him one by one, cycling through all their forms, getting overpowered, and regrouping to train up in order to win the next round occurs across Dragon Ball Super.
Just to workshop this formula a bit--in Super, it's more often the case that Goku and Vegeta regroup to train up in order to lose the next round.

Only Moro really acts an exception to that in the series, outside of the movies (where even then, Broly ends on a fusion that nearly casts Gogeta in the antagonist role).

Toriyama seems truly enamored with endings other than straight-forward victories in Super, to the point where it might almost be formulaic in itself, were it not so different in execution each time. It's noticeable that the only time we really break from that is the only arc Toyotaro is implied to have largely done the primary conception and outline work for.

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:44 am

Cipher wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:13 am
LoganForkHands73 wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:17 am Toyotaro’s arcs fall into a similar trap of being too formulaic, but in a different way to the movies. The whole Rocky III revenge routine of Goku and Vegeta encountering the main antagonist early on, fighting him one by one, cycling through all their forms, getting overpowered, and regrouping to train up in order to win the next round occurs across Dragon Ball Super.
Just to workshop this formula a bit--in Super, it's more often the case that Goku and Vegeta regroup to train up in order to lose the next round.

Only Moro really acts an exception to that in the series, outside of the movies (where even then, Broly ends on a fusion that nearly casts Gogeta in the antagonist role).

Toriyama seems truly enamored with endings other than straight-forward victories in Super, to the point where it might almost be formulaic in itself, were it not so different in execution each time. It's noticeable that the only time we really break from that is the only arc Toyotaro is implied to have largely done the primary conception and outline work for.
Ah yeah, true. I could amend it to “they get a boost after the first round of training that gives them the upper hand against the opponent, until the opponent turns the tables again, rinse and repeat until we get to some bizarre unexpected conclusion”. :D It’s great that Toriyama remains dedicated to keeping people on their toes with his work, even the stuff he isn’t so involved with.

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Sun Mar 26, 2023 8:13 am

I think the Moro arc was better simply due to the fact that Goku & Vegeta got pushed farther(physically & mentally) than they did in the later arc, Moro being a better villain than Gas & Elec could dream of, and the great opportunity to see the rest of the team play a part in whatever way that they could. It just felt more like a traditional story in DB that resulted in everything going forward as opposed to feeling more akin to filler or a SDBH-esque side quest that the Granolah arc unfortunately turned into. The silver lining of the Granolah arc was Vegeta gaining a new ability & transformation as well as Freeza vastly improving in power and getting a new power up, everything else was kinda meh for me personally.
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

ClutchBangstrip
Beyond Newbie

Post by ClutchBangstrip » Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:51 pm

I think it's tied.

I think the Moro Arc was consistently better. But Granolah's highs blew Moro's away. I was never bored with Moro, but at times a little bored with Granolah. But the Granolah manga actually had DB highly trending on Twitter multiple times.

I think this evens things out.... Honestly, Granola's high points are pretty freaking substantial. I honestly might give Granolah the slightest edge possible. I mean, that Black Frieza ending was insane. The constant combat art was phenomenal, too. Bardock getting in on the action was another high... There are definitely others... Moro was still cool, too. They are neck & neck and easily the best Super has, imo.

I remember showing family members who don't read the manga Black Frieza murdering Gas and they instantly started reading the manga.

picc
Beyond Newbie

Post by picc » Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:41 am

The Moro arc was much better imo. And was a great arc in general. Original and interesting new villain, new approaches to fighting, Majin Buu involved. Lots of fun stuff.

The Granolah arc I enjoyed, particularly the parts about Goku/Vegeta discovering their journeys to power, but way too much time was spent on two characters I didn't care about fighting each other over something I also didn't care about.
Planet Namek Bred

SupremeKai25
I Live Here

Post by SupremeKai25 » Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:43 am

The Moro arc was much better.

Moro as a villain worked far better than Gas, a crying brat whose most memorable moment is that he peed himself, and Elec, a coward who never even fought. This is a story about fights and martial arts, a villain who doesn't fight or know martial arts (Elec) is a failure.

Moro still felt like a cheap copy of Pefect Cell, after he turned into his 7-3 form. Nevertheless, he was much more interesting than crybaby Gas.

I also love how the Moro arc brought back Grand Supreme Kai and revealed that the power of Uub, the power that will rival EoZ Goku, was Divine and came from a Supreme Kai. This lore revelation was more original than anything in Granolah arc involving Bardock.

Thani
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Thani » Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:24 pm

A direct comparison? Well... Both arcs had strong beginnings, but neither managed to land the ending all that well. Funnily enough, to me, for the same reasons.

I... don't personally like either of these arcs, but there are enjoyable moments. Vegeta styling on Moro with Forced Spirit Fission, Perfected/Mastered Ultra Instinct's glorious return, Ultra Ego's unveiling, Goku styling on Granolah with Ultra Instinct... There were those cool moments. But, overall, I felt those two arcs fell short on developing their antagonists. Moro had no big plan whatsoever and devolved into a brawler after, ironically, recovering his magic. Elec's entire gambit went nowhere, really, and he was uncerimoniously dispatched with little fanfare. And Gas, bless his heart, died without accomplishing anything at all.

At the very least, though, the Moro arc didn't feel, to me, like a waste of time. The Granolah the Survivor arc only memorable contribution, to me, was the Bardock portion of it, reviled as it was. Which is a shame, since I was enjoying the initial setup...

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:36 pm

While granolah is boring because of how easily it gains power... I still think it was interesting as a villain with no powers other than his intellect managed to manipulate the situation....
Although Bardock is already worn out, I think his last battle was more interesting, ignoring certain continuity errors, we still met new alien races and more important Namekians :clap:

Moro is boring and little Original and the worst arc of super... next to the Top manga, moro is just cell + Piccolo in objectives and powers... and he is just someone with unambitious goals
Merus is a disgusting mary sue :sick:

Alruneia
I Live Here

Post by Alruneia » Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:51 pm

In my opinion, the Moro arc is Super's best arc, even if it is "derivative" or whatever, while the Granolah arc just stops appealing to me once it stops being about Granolah. I actually don't think I've ever enjoyed reading Dragon Ball less than during the Gas portion of the arc. The Moro arc doesn't have the best final fight, particularly the Moro-73 part could probably have been done very differently while still keeping the main plot points intact, but I really enjoyed the other parts of it. The Granolah arc, on the other hand, started out really interesting but lost me during the Gas fight. I don't care all that much about Bardock, and the shock effect of Black Frieza killing Gas didn't work for me, it just left me deeply unsatisfied.
Probably Kanzenshuu's biggest Bulla fangirl. Current avatar: DBU Bulla as Sailor Princess Sadala, based on Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance

Dragon Ball Ultimate - 74 out of 150 chapters complete
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Action Blue - link
Sailor Moon: Mindful of Love - link | Sailor Moon: Cosmic Dance - link

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Sat Jun 17, 2023 5:15 pm

I don't like either one of them.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:46 pm

Moro Arc:
Dragon Quest in the world of Dragon Ball.
The Evil Demon break the magic seal, secondary people fight sorcerer henchmen, Goku learn some tech by The Master, Vegeta the Wizard go to the Sage Temple to learn a counterspell, Goku the Hero win.

Granolah Arc:
-I wanna be the stronger in the universe!
-Poof, done.
-BATTLE!
-Hey, Goku, let's make your father canon in the manga!
-I wanna be stronger by the stronger in the universe!
-Poof, done.
-Daddy loves me!-
-Eheheh I've got a plan...
-BATTLE!
-An incredible new techinque: "Sayans are Sayans"! We are stronger than the stronger by the stronger in the universe!
-Goku, you mean nothing, just a wish saved you so far.
-BATTLE!
-I still got a plan.
-Black Frieza enter the field.
-My plan was a bluff.
-What about the android?
-Nope. I just threw in randomly.
Black Frieza. He's stronger than the strongest of the strongers by the stronger one, making the dragon wish a joke since the start.
B L A C K F R I E Z A.
bbblllaaaaackfrieeezaaaaeaeaeaehgggg.

The first was a narrative arc. Maybe not an excellent one, but is a narration. The second is made of unrelated facts thrown in like me and you having a doped Dragon Ball nightmare.
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.