What Can A Tournament Of Power Part II Offer?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

theherodjl
I Live Here

What Can A Tournament Of Power Part II Offer?

Post by theherodjl » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:29 am

Even though a wider multiverse exists, the only attempt at exploring it thus far been through SDBH so I am wondering if we won't see the characters from other universes again until there is another multiversal tournament. If that is true, what might we or what would you like to to see if the twin Zeno decide to hold another competition between universes? Perhaps we'll see the King of Sadala make his formal appearance? The demon that killed Jiren's master? The other 4 universes that didn't participate in the first tournament? Maybe the erased 6 universes? Something new entirely?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What Can A Tournament Of Power Part II Offer?

Post by ZombieVito » Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:42 pm

I want Gowasu to get so desperate that he travels to the future and recruits Goku Black.

Magnificent Ponta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Magnificent Ponta » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:36 am

I guess it depends exactly on the kind of thing you'd want to see. One of the things about Tournaments/Competitions is that they're really just framing devices for telling whatever the actual story is about, rather than necessarily being the story in and of themselves (though they can also be that), so really the sky's the limit and the story being told is the foremost question; then you run it back and figure out how the format could serve that.

But taking the question as though the event itself is the focus: one very simple thing you could do is not only introduce the 4 as-yet-unseen Universes with their own teams, but also vary up the character dynamics from the Universes we've already seen by making multiple Universes form a single team - for instance, you could make the upper 4 Universes from the first Tournament of Power (11, 3, 2, and 10) form a single team, and also the lower 4 Universes (4, 7, 6, and 9) form a team of their own too; it would give us the opportunity to learn some more about some of the characters we already saw as characters when they interact properly with the heroes we already know (or else take the opportunity to use some new characters to work with).

Alternatively, although Dragon Ball usually has its focus on fighting, I think for a lighter take, it's historically been enough of a broad church that you could do a different kind of competition announced between Universes about something else entirely, rather than simply retreading the 'Tournament of Power' format (think the small 'Sports Day' arc from Dr. Slump with multiple events between three teams picked from the different School Grades, which was a riot), particularly if you wanted to take the focus off just the Saiyans and give the other characters a bit more to do with more diversified skills than just punching stuff real hard: a volleyball stint featuring Gotenks, Tenshinhan and Chaozu, for instance, or a beauty contest featuring Kuririn as a competitor (adjudicated by a Universe 2 judging panel, naturally). More variety, sillier fare in the classic Toriyama style, but less direct retreading of what Super has already done.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:47 pm

As far as participants go, there’s the other 4 universes that didn’t participate in the ToP. Maybe the 6 mysterious universes 13-18 that Zeno erased long ago, too.

The new team could have quite a roster: UI Goku, UE Vegeta, LSSJ Broly, Orange Piccolo, Gohan Beast, Gamma 1, Granolah, Black Freeza and maybe Oob soon.

I have no idea what the plot would be without repeating the ToP, however. A battle royale where the losers get erased was the be all end all already.
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

theherodjl
I Live Here

Post by theherodjl » Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:38 am

Another ToP doesn't necessarily have to be a free for all battle with strict rules, that was just the format set by Daishinkan to keep the fighters within the Zeno Twins' line of sight. Moreover, the result of what happens to the losing universes doesn't have to erasure either, it can actually be something silly like the losing fighters having to put on a slapstick-style performance for the Zenos. That way, U7 could suffer a loss and not have to worry about getting wiped from existence and it could also give Goku & the others additional incentive to train in new & improved ways so as not to lose again. What better way to build growth than by having the Z Senshi legitimately lose a competition to another band of fighters?
"Why is a raven like a writing desk?" - The Mad Hatter :think:

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Sun Feb 05, 2023 5:38 pm

Mostly, I want to see the buildup to the next tournament, that's where we can get a lot of fun character development. All those insane off-screen powerups, lets see them on screen and see the journeys of the characters and what the tournament means to each of them.

The setup would have to be different than the previous ToP, like we have to have the threat of a villain who legit wants to wipe everyone out or rule over the multiverse with the SDB.

Or I'd just like to finally see the mortals revolt against the gods which I'd like to end with Goku vs Grand Priest. I really really want antagonistic Grand Priest and Angels.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:13 am

Across various media, several characters have new transformations to test out in the ring, including Vegeta, Gohan, Freeza, and Piccolo. There are also new fighters to recruit, such as Broli and Gamma 1; I'd include Oob there too as a part of his training in the same way the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai was for Goku and Kuririn, on the off-chance this occurs after the epilogue, but I remain skeptical that they'll go past that.

A rematch between Goku and Geran in which Goku more soundly wins, and/or an inevitable team up between the two against an even greater foe. Maybe Goku unlocks Ultra Instinct 2. Vegeta inches ever closer to retirement and mustache growth. Freeza inches ever closer to easing his grudge with Goku, and fatherhood.

Ashur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashur » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:32 am

Narratively: Nothing, the first ToP was already a slog and a waste of time, a second one, after the whole secret motive surrounding Zeno and the Grand Priest is already revealed, would be rendered 100% tensionless, because we would know no universes are in real danger, the entire point of the ToP was that it was for the survival of the universe, if you remove that, then it's jut a silly sports event with terrible pacing, not even a real tournament.

Regarding fan-service, however: It would provide us with a cracked Universe 7 team with all the new forms and characters working in the same team, but given how much Jiren was built up against all the other universes, i doubt anyone new can show up to be a challenge to hpw cracked the U7 team has become, Jiren essentially guaranteed that the other universes' warriors would all be fodder to Goku in the end of the ToP.

Personally, if it is to see MUI Goku, UE Vegeta, Beast Gohan, Orange Piccolo and LSSJ Broly working together, i'd rather have a Black Frieza arc where Beerus is finally surpassed, something with real tension, not a rehash.

The only way a second ToP works is how DB Heroes did it, making it about saving all the timelines and stuff, but canon DB will never get into that.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:44 am

Ashur wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:32 am Narratively: Nothing, the first ToP was already a slog and a waste of time, a second one, after the whole secret motive surrounding Zeno and the Grand Priest is already revealed, would be rendered 100% tensionless, because we would know no universes are in real danger, the entire point of the ToP was that it was for the survival of the universe, if you remove that, then it's jut a silly sports event with terrible pacing, not even a real tournament.

Regarding fan-service, however: It would provide us with a cracked Universe 7 team with all the new forms and characters working in the same team, but given how much Jiren was built up against all the other universes, i doubt anyone new can show up to be a challenge to hpw cracked the U7 team has become, Jiren essentially guaranteed that the other universes' warriors would all be fodder to Goku in the end of the ToP.

Personally, if it is to see MUI Goku, UE Vegeta, Beast Gohan, Orange Piccolo and LSSJ Broly working together, i'd rather have a Black Frieza arc where Beerus is finally surpassed, something with real tension, not a rehash.

The only way a second ToP works is how DB Heroes did it, making it about saving all the timelines and stuff, but canon DB will never get into that.
I think it'd be lower stakes, the threat could come from the other universes who did not participate before and others who have trained.

But the tournament being interuptted by baddied like the time breakers maybe absorbing energy. A being immune to Zeno like due to being from another universe or multiverse entirely as a plot point. There's a million things they could use it as a springboard for.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Ashur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashur » Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:25 am

TobyS wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:44 am
Ashur wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:32 am Narratively: Nothing, the first ToP was already a slog and a waste of time, a second one, after the whole secret motive surrounding Zeno and the Grand Priest is already revealed, would be rendered 100% tensionless, because we would know no universes are in real danger, the entire point of the ToP was that it was for the survival of the universe, if you remove that, then it's jut a silly sports event with terrible pacing, not even a real tournament.

I think it'd be lower stakes, the threat could come from the other universes who did not participate before and others who have trained.

But the tournament being interuptted by baddied like the time breakers maybe absorbing energy. A being immune to Zeno like due to being from another universe or multiverse entirely as a plot point. There's a million things they could use it as a springboard for.
I like those ideas, personally i don't mind the absolutely ridiculously high stakes from the Heroes tournament or if they end up using something like that, but something lower could help to keep progression beyond that point believable.

Honestly a lot of DBH arcs have blueprints for great stories for canon DB.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:54 am

What can be bigger stakes than "everybody dies when you lose"?
(Besides the fact that we know everyone will be okay due to Super being a midquel)

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:46 am

"You have to spend the rest of your days entertaining Zeno if you lose"

LoganForkHands73
Advanced Regular

Post by LoganForkHands73 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 1:38 pm

The stakes of the Tournament of Power drove the story forward in a unique way that no tournament arc had done before. To me, it was very much about how the characters react to a survive-or-die situation and I love how it explores what each of them have to lose. Gohan understands the bigger picture, but it’s naturally his family that he’s most motivated to protect. Android #17 is almost the opposite — it’s not that he doesn’t care about his family, but because he still has some lingering robotic traits, he’s fatalistic about the whole thing. In some ways, you can see his point that everyone getting painlessly erased together isn’t the worst fate in the world. And yet, he fights to protect the beauty of nature every day as his job, so he’d be a bad ranger if he let the innocent fauna and flora down. Plus, he has a debt to pay to Kuririn for giving him the second chance to have such a dreamy life. Then you have Freeza, who’s naturally only concerned about his own survival — it doesn’t matter which universe lives or dies, he’d rather be the one standing in the former. And between all of them, you have Goku, the guy who just wants a good fight and happens to have a lot of amazing friends to call on for help. What I respect most about the anime version is that it also takes time to establish that this applies just as much to the other universes, they all have their own motivations to survive.

Anyway, trying to top the stakes with another universe-ending tournament arc would be messy and redundant, so the best thing to do is scale everything back. I’d like to see smaller and more focused teams with a more teamwork-oriented structure rather than a Smash Bros free-for-all. A specific idea I had was for Zeno to mix the different teams up randomly. Oh, and Universe 10 resurrect Goku Black and make him enter by disguising him as a mortal, because why not. If the first tournament was a secret test of how virtuous mortals could be, maybe the second could be about how well they can work together across universal borders?

Trouser
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Trouser » Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:03 am

To me, nothing. I was bored through 99% of the ToP and for the first time in my life I've been skipping forward through episodes (and rolling my eyes) when watching a Dragon Ball series. Only few last episodes were worth to watch.

But if the sequel was meant to happen... I want adult Trunks, Goten and Uub to be part of it. I don't want to see characters on the battlefield who shouldn't even been there in the first place like Muten Roshi.

I don't want stupid rules too, like "no killing" rule. It's about survival. Some characters were underused because of that (like Hit).

And please, let it be a real battle royale. First ToP wasn't that in the slightest. And less fighters. Most of them looked unoriginal and lame and they were irrelevant.
"If it means having to live under your control, I'd rather be dead!" - Trunks
English is not my first language, if I've made a mistake, please, feel free to correct me. It will help, thanks.

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:37 am

If you include the original roster of characters and universes, I believe that Goku, Vegeta, Piccolo and Gohan would pretty much obliterate the opponents. I doubt that Freeza would join in again to fight alongside Goku and Vegeta.
Like someone else has mentioned in this thread, you would have to include the other 4 nonparticipating universes with new characters to make it interesting.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu May 18, 2023 12:46 pm

imho, the only reason the series would do another one of these, is because there were universes exempt from the first, and now for whatever reason Zeno wants to see their strongest fighters. And either all universes are competing, or U7's mortal rating improved so it gets to join.

What it can offer? Beyond a bunch of fights? Nothing. Like everything else this franchise does, it reveals something, and does nothing with it. Ideally instead of a battle royale, they do a standard tournament between universes. But that's really it.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Thu May 18, 2023 6:18 pm

It would need to be a fairly low stakes tournament. I don't think anyone would buy "we're erasing universes... for real this time!" Ideally it would be interrupted and lead into something else like the Boo arc.

Kazuya Mishima
Banned

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Fri May 19, 2023 3:35 pm

It would be interesting if they made an All Stars Team out of the Universe's that competed before so you'd have Goku and Vegeta but joining them can include Jiren and Caulifla.

Then match them with the Universe's who didn't compete before.

ChronoTwigger
Advanced Regular

Post by ChronoTwigger » Mon May 29, 2023 4:25 pm

I suppose a good stake is for the winning universe representative to get a Daishinkan special training session.

Start with in-universe qualifications for a single representative, then a final round to determine the winning Universe. Vegeta qualify, but something happen near the ending round and Goku tag in. Or, being Zeno doubled, use teams of two.

Near the end, evil one with newfound god ki create havoc. Zeno *finally* forbid god ki use to ningen, ready for EOZ.

That's how I'll do it and put an end to Super (after the "i dunno why's there" Black Frieza arc).
I learned english listening to songs. So I don't know anything about. The day you had to learn play piano by just listening .mp3, you'll understand.

BootyCheeksJohnson
Beyond Newbie

Post by BootyCheeksJohnson » Wed May 31, 2023 3:52 am

In all honesty I can't see a second tournament being good. The last one was overly long and boring. Sure the kefla fight/elimination and Jiren elimination were really cool, but everything else in-between felt like wasted potential. I think there's much more interesting story potential in just having Goku and Vegeta travel to new universe's to help stop a threat and meet new people. You could stay in the alt. universe for the whole story so we can get some new settings.
We need a Steve Simmons retranslation of the manga.