Mother's Basement - Let Goku Die

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Mother's Basement - Let Goku Die

Post by FoolsGil » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:29 pm

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Re: Mother's Basement - Let Goku Die

Post by Yuji » Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:02 pm

I see and understand their overall point, but the hatred for the Boo arc comes out of nowhere. It has about as satisfying an ending as the Cell arc while closing the book on the other characters besides Goku and Gohan too. It strikes a great mix of finality and open-endedness. And considering he alludes to his enjoyment of the series being tied to Toriyama's state of mind, it's strange he dislikes the Boo arc considering it seems to be the arc where Toriyama was left to his own devices the most since the very first arcs of part 1. Arbitrarily deciding the DBS anime has nothing to say while the DBS movies do was also a weird analysis (as well as not even mentioning the much less merchandise-focused DBS manga). Toriyama's intent and themes still shine through the anime arcs, even if obviously there are other influences at play too.

After a certain point the video also becomes a One Piece commercial which I don't appreciate. Just because the series is building toward something doesn't mean the bricks it's using are of sound quality. One Piece has been on a steep decline for over a decade now and its length is a major contributing factor. The series is repetitive and cluttered and has long exhausted any uniqueness it had. Most of the fans follow it due to sunken costs. It's become sterile and is going through the motions. I'd rather keep up with the infrequent Dragon Ball arc that has a tightly written unique story to tell with a carefully selected group of characters than continue to indulge in the narrative mess One Piece has become.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:54 am

Video uses more clips of One Piece than actually talks about it but whatever. And he has a right to an opinion. I personally find the Buu Saga serviceable, worst thing about it is that incompetence and negligence is the reason why everything got as remotely as awful as it did, but serviceable.

The video resonates with me, my frustration with Super I eventually gave up a third in of the Universal Survival Arc. I thought perhaps maybe GT was better than I thought, but rewatching it with Gaffer Tape's analysis, it seems it's just a different variety of bad. And I do enjoy the movies, but considering the character's humble origins, seeing them fight Gods and travel universes, it's all getting well worn out for me. And I am grateful to never have watched more than the first episode of Heroes.

So sure, maybe Goku should die. Or at least take the camera off him, and follow someone else's story for awhile, and for once not get cold feet about a third in.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:53 pm

FoolsGil wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:54 am Video uses more clips of One Piece than actually talks about it but whatever. And he has a right to an opinion. I personally find the Buu Saga serviceable, worst thing about it is that incompetence and negligence is the reason why everything got as remotely as awful as it did, but serviceable.

The video resonates with me, my frustration with Super I eventually gave up a third in of the Universal Survival Arc. I thought perhaps maybe GT was better than I thought, but rewatching it with Gaffer Tape's analysis, it seems it's just a different variety of bad. And I do enjoy the movies, but considering the character's humble origins, seeing them fight Gods and travel universes, it's all getting well worn out for me. And I am grateful to never have watched more than the first episode of Heroes.

So sure, maybe Goku should die. Or at least take the camera off him, and follow someone else's story for awhile, and for once not get cold feet about a third in.
I reject the premise that the Boo arc or modern Dragon Ball is creatively bankrupt and One Piece isn't, that's all.

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:03 am

As someone that likes Super and thinks that the Buu arc is the best arc in the series, I pretty much entirely disagreed with most of the points trying to be made in this video. :lol:

Like... I get it. All good things should come to an end... And Dragon Ball did end back in 1995 when Toriyama finished the manga.

Yuji
Advanced Regular

Post by Yuji » Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:20 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:03 am As someone that likes Super and thinks that the Buu arc is the best arc in the series, I pretty much entirely disagreed will most of the points trying to be made in this video. :lol:

Like... I get it. All good things should come to an end... And Dragon Ball did end back in 1995 when Toriyama finished the manga.
Yes, there's also the point that Dragon Ball isn't or isn't heading toward being a never ending show. Dragon Ball has a conclusive ending and you can ignore all post-Boo stuff if you so wish. You don't have to selectively stop at a season like The Simpsons for example to avoid the "bad point." Dragon Ball is self-contained to 42 volumes. The rest is a bonus, and that bonus is likewise working toward something. Time moves on, characters change. Maybe not to the same extent as in the original series, but new stories aren't exclusively retreads or a cynical commercial product - there's always an artist, be it Toriyama, Toyotarou, the animators and scriptwriters - with something to say.

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Peril » Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:45 pm

Edit: Sorry I double posted accidentally.
Last edited by Peril on Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Peril » Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:05 pm

I liked the Buu arc just because I like Buu. I rewatched the Cell arc and honestly liked it because of Cell, more than I thought. Granted I am filtering Cell through years and years of TeamFourStar and other comedy related jokes. And also Gohan being cool. Cell arc was also the last time the other Z-Fighters even got to pretend they were useful or important.

I don't know how I feel about him comparing everything that sucks now-a-days to Buu though. That's his opinion but I don't think the Buu arc was that bad. I do find it fun to go back through the old stuff and rewatch it.....when I have the time.

Yuji wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:02 pm After a certain point the video also becomes a One Piece commercial which I don't appreciate. Just because the series is building toward something doesn't mean the bricks it's using are of sound quality. One Piece has been on a steep decline for over a decade now and its length is a major contributing factor. The series is repetitive and cluttered and has long exhausted any uniqueness it had. Most of the fans follow it due to sunken costs. It's become sterile and is going through the motions. I'd rather keep up with the infrequent Dragon Ball arc that has a tightly written unique story to tell with a carefully selected group of characters than continue to indulge in the narrative mess One Piece has become.
FoolsGil wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:54 am Video uses more clips of One Piece than actually talks about it but whatever.

What. I just finished watching this. He mentions One Piece like one time. It didn't turn into a One Piece commercial. He also referenced a bunch of other anime like Naruto, Conan, Demon Slayer, Pokemon etc. If its a commercial for anything it is a commercial for the NeverEnding Story book. Not the movie.