Are you sick of Goku?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ronin
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Are you sick of Goku?

Post by Ronin » Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:19 am

I'm not sick of Goku, but I've always hoped that the other characters would've played more important roles than they have. Like in the Cell and Buu arcs, you see Krillin and Piccolo playing important parts, for example. And the fact that Goten and Trunks were barely involved in anything for so long is still odd to me.

dva_raza
Temporarily Banned

Post by dva_raza » Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:09 pm

super michael wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:41 pm
dva_raza wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:18 pm
super michael wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 8:47 pm Other anime they know how to balance MC being silly at times and being serious, while in DBS Goku has to be dumb majority of the time. Doing silly things can be funny, but there is a limit to when it becomes annoying.
You wouldn’t see Vegeta or Frieza in Z doing many things they do in Super either. The “dumbing down” isn’t exclusive to Goku. Super has an absurd humor tone and obviously they adapted all the characters to it.
Goku was more intelligent compared to Vegeta in DBZ, Vegeta didn't know how to train properly and always trained alone. Vegeta normally caused all the problem in DBZ, such as Cell getting his perfect form and Buu getting resurrected. Even Kid Buu blowing up the earth was Vegeta fault for destroying the Potara.

In DBS Vegeta is more smart than before.

In DBS Super Heroes movie they had Goku written as someone who has no idea why meditation is good. Why not have Broly be the one clueless about meditation, I am sure Paragus only taught Broly brute strength. Here is DBS Super Heroes lines to show my point:
Vegeta is only "smarter" now because he became good. Cause this makes him less arrogant and selfish (caring about his family, being open to learn from others) which works in his favor.

By “dumbing down” I meant more like, the characters being ridiculed, like Vegeta is repeatedly, or not taken as seriously as before, like Frieza, who used to be a scary villain and now he’s not.

I agree with everything you said about the meditation thing, but that's basically a mistake. I was talking about overall. Like if you expect Goku to return to more serious tone you’ll be perpetually disappointed cause Super clearly adopted a different tone.

Ashur
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ashur » Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:38 am

ABED wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:18 am Vegeta being a co-lead is relatively new. I don't see why Goku and Vegeta being the leads all the time is negative.
As long as they are written like they are in Super, it's a negative.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:10 am

Ashur wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:38 am
ABED wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:18 am Vegeta being a co-lead is relatively new. I don't see why Goku and Vegeta being the leads all the time is negative.
As long as they are written like they are in Super, it's a negative.
Meaning what exactly? That's too vague to be helpful in me understanding what you mean.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

BWri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by BWri » Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:29 am

"Are you sick of Goku?"
Not really. As someone who never really liked Goku when I was younger, I am growing surprisingly more fond and respectful of the character as I get older. I love what he represents: that purity, authenticity, drive, and dedication that he has to the martial arts. He is also a genuinely good dude for the most part.

That said, I still find most of the other characters more interesting from a storytelling perspective so my ideal good time with DB is as an ensemble story with other character's getting equal screen time like what was common in DBZ. Super took us away from that but is slowly returning to that format which I appreciate.

But no, I truly appreciate Goku as a character. He just doesn't always have to be the main hero to drive the story every time.

I guess I also want for the story to stop protecting him from his flaws and reckless decisions. ToP would have been far more interesting if it were a reckoning for his single-minded desire to fight the strongest guy no matter what. It wouldn't be the worst thing for Goku to learn that his selfishness should be placed in check sometimes.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Peril » Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:50 pm

When I was a kid Goku was my favorite or second favorite character. Krillin might have been my favorite. It might be Super but I'm kind of tired of him, yes. I don't care if its his show, that is not an excuse. The stories in Super don't leave a good impression on me most of the time except for in small bursts of hype. And just because Dragon Ball is a story about Goku doesn't mean he has to be a part of every single arc. Over-use and over saturation are a thing. And I honestly think never giving Goku a break shows a strong lack of imagination from everyone involved in the franchise's creation.

I'm not a Vegeta fan. I mean when he was a bad guy I loved him but today not so much. ButI feel like the Granolah arc could have and should have been Vegeta centric and Goku could have just been somewhere else. Goku didn't bring anything to that story, he didn't know anything about the life of a saiyan under Freeza's rule but Vegeta did. Thematically it should have been Vegeta and Granolah beating each other up or whatever.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:16 pm

I'm not sick of Goku but I wish he was written more like Toei or even Funimation Goku more so then what Toriyama wants him to be. I have accepted that this is Toriyama's story however and I like it for what it is.

I am sick of the bad dad jokes the fandom likes to do and some parts of the Fandom acting like Dragonball isn't a shonen manga series.

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Peril » Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:20 pm

miguelnuva1 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:16 pm
I am sick of the bad dad jokes the fandom likes to do and some parts of the Fandom acting like Dragonball isn't a shonen manga series.
Not all shounen are the same. How strict is your template?

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:40 am

Peril wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:20 pm
miguelnuva1 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:16 pm
I am sick of the bad dad jokes the fandom likes to do and some parts of the Fandom acting like Dragonball isn't a shounen manga series.
Not all shounen are the same. How strict is your template?
I know they all aren't the same, I'm saying I don't like when Fans get mad at Dragonball far following Shounen tropes.

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Peril » Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:47 am

Which tropes? I'm just curious is all. Not all tropes are bad but I think some are "tired" or annoying.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:13 am

Peril wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:47 am Which tropes? I'm just curious is all. Not all tropes are bad but I think some are "tired" or annoying.
I don't think its a negative or the series needs to end because Goku defeats the main villain for example. I like side characters like Gohan and Vegeta as well but I don't think the series should end or writers should be fired just because they don't defeat the main villain.

Peril
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Peril » Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:59 am

miguelnuva1 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:13 am
Peril wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:47 am Which tropes? I'm just curious is all. Not all tropes are bad but I think some are "tired" or annoying.
I don't think its a negative or the series needs to end because Goku defeats the main villain for example. I like side characters like Gohan and Vegeta as well but I don't think the series should end or writers should be fired just because they don't defeat the main villain.
Not really sure if that is a common shounen trope. I know in some shows, the main character always beats the bad guy but that isn't every shounen. I will say the ones that let other characters get some wins are better in my eyes.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:31 pm

I'm not sick of him, but I would like to see other characters get more involved in the story. I loved the focus on Piccolo in Super Hero, it was funny seeing such a serious, broody character deal with every day life. I'd love to see an entire series about Piccolo.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:11 am

I think we're missing something very important, it's not about other characters getting a win or another character getting focus. Why Super Hero worked is the relationships. It's the way the characters bounce off each other that that particular story worked. So it's not that other characters need focus other than Goku, it's seeing the way different characters interact with each other in interesting, surprising, funny, and heartfelt ways that make it worth watching. If DB is to continue, I would like to see Goku stay the lead, just show him and the others bouncing off one another in interesting ways.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.