Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Miracles
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Super Strength Discussion Thread

Post by Miracles » Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:30 pm

Hedo and Toriyama are in sync. Hedo said Cell is nearly complete. Which means he wasn't finished.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:21 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:02 pm I think this is my definitive movie-verse scale. It was going to be a tier list, but I think numbers are easier to read and to get the point across. Tier lists always have a bunch of names jumbled together, and numbers are fine if you cut the zeroes. Explanations and speculations also inside the spoiler.

It's a bit surprising how consistent the movies are, even on stuff as confusing as Base Goku's power. The animanga-only sagas are mere speculation based on Toriyama's notes and what's more remarkable and makes the most sense (Since being more memorable means it's more likely for AT to remember).
Shisami isn't Zarbon level in Toriyama's script. Toei screwed up lol.

Isn't Gohan said to be the strongest with Beast? Also I feel Cell Max and Beast Gohan should be a lot closer since it is said that without Gamma 2's sacrifice they would have died.

GreatSaiyaman123
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:32 pm

Miracles wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:30 pm Hedo and Toriyama are in sync. Hedo said Cell is nearly complete. Which means he wasn't finished.
Maybe. He could also be "almost" complete because he's not complete without the mind control, even though his body and power are.
ZombieVito wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 1:21 pm Shisami isn't Zarbon level in Toriyama's script. Toei screwed up lol.

Isn't Gohan said to be the strongest with Beast? Also I feel Cell Max and Beast Gohan should be a lot closer since it is said that without Gamma 2's sacrifice they would have died.
Perhaps. The script we have online was just a memo, but he's still credited with writing everything (Unlike how Super either co-credits him in the manga or just credits him as "original author" in the anime) and said he'd be "fussing over the smallest dialogue lines".

Piccolo said Gohan would be the strongest "In this world", so not necessarily. His original plan was to eat the senzu himself, but he changed his and gave it to Gohan after Gamma's kamikaze attack. I guess the implication is that Gohan would've died or wouldn't have the stamina to turn beast? Although being tired didn't stop Gohan in the Cell Games, or Goku on Namek... But these new forms always have stamina problems so who knows. A bit outside that topic, but Piccolo giving his senzu to Gohan also means Cell Max (Weakened) >>> Orange Piccolo (Full power).
Battle Powers List (Manga)

Guardian of the city, I am the one and only...Great Saiyaman!

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:18 pm

Are Beast Gohan, and Orange Piccolo relative to TUI Goku, and UE Vegeta?

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:39 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:32 pm
Miracles wrote: Sun Apr 16, 2023 6:30 pm Hedo and Toriyama are in sync. Hedo said Cell is nearly complete. Which means he wasn't finished.
Maybe. He could also be "almost" complete because he's not complete without the mind control, even though his body and power are.

If we pay attention to context. Hedo tells Magenta that Cell Max is "nearly complete." That Cell Max "himself" is finished but more time for his mind control program is needed.

So Cell Max "himself [Body/Form]" was finished but not the other part of the program, mind control. This all encompasses the "nearly complete" statement from Hedo.

viewtopic.php?p=1757339#p1757339

picc
Beyond Newbie

Post by picc » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:34 pm

shadd21 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:18 pm Are Beast Gohan, and Orange Piccolo relative to TUI Goku, and UE Vegeta?
We'll find out in about 8 months.
Planet Namek Bred

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:55 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 6:32 pm Perhaps. The script we have online was just a memo, but he's still credited with writing everything (Unlike how Super either co-credits him in the manga or just credits him as "original author" in the anime) and said he'd be "fussing over the smallest dialogue lines".

Piccolo said Gohan would be the strongest "In this world", so not necessarily. His original plan was to eat the senzu himself, but he changed his and gave it to Gohan after Gamma's kamikaze attack. I guess the implication is that Gohan would've died or wouldn't have the stamina to turn beast? Although being tired didn't stop Gohan in the Cell Games, or Goku on Namek... But these new forms always have stamina problems so who knows. A bit outside that topic, but Piccolo giving his senzu to Gohan also means Cell Max (Weakened) >>> Orange Piccolo (Full power).
Well, who knows. Toriyama's script only mentions Shisami on Earth and even calls him the strongest in Freeza's army after saying Freeza hired powerful mercs to fill up the ranks. It's clear to me he was never meant to be compared to Zarbon and Dodoria.

Yes, Piccolo giving Gohan the senzu means he's weaker than weakened Cell Max but I wouldn't put him that low. Toriyama did say he was finally on par with Goku so he must not be leagues below UI Goku. Also, his "In this world" can easily mean universe 7. It would make his conversation with Pan about Gohan being stronger than Goku at the beginning of the film come full circle.

shadd21
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by shadd21 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:02 am

picc wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:34 pm
shadd21 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:18 pm Are Beast Gohan, and Orange Piccolo relative to TUI Goku, and UE Vegeta?
What's happening in 8 months?

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:27 am

shadd21 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:02 am
Probably new Dragon Ball Super manga chapters with some power hierarchy statements or implications.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:17 pm

Hugo Boss wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:27 am
shadd21 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:02 am
Probably new Dragon Ball Super manga chapters with some power hierarchy statements or implications.
Thankfully the pace seems to be faster, so it's probably just in 3 or 4 months we see Beast.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:55 pm

Going with the basic plot of the film and Toriyama's notes, Gohan > Cell > TUI Goku = UE Vegeta = Piccolo. Cell is probably going to be Gas level, and Gohan will be Freeza level. Piccolo might be a bit behind Goku and Vegeta, but I'd say he's Silver UI level at least.
ZombieVito wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:55 pm Well, who knows. Toriyama's script only mentions Shisami on Earth and even calls him the strongest in Freeza's army after saying Freeza hired powerful mercs to fill up the ranks. It's clear to me he was never meant to be compared to Zarbon and Dodoria.

Yes, Piccolo giving Gohan the senzu means he's weaker than weakened Cell Max but I wouldn't put him that low. Toriyama did say he was finally on par with Goku so he must not be leagues below UI Goku. Also, his "In this world" can easily mean universe 7. It would make his conversation with Pan about Gohan being stronger than Goku at the beginning of the film come full circle.
My logic here is mostly to work from what was in the movies. Even if Toriyama didn't write it, it was still an idea that went through him and got into the movie, like how Broly going SSJFP was added later. If it was just the bare bone ideas, then Shisami wouldn't even exist lol.

Regardless, someone is supposed to give Piccolo a fight in the movie. That shows characters can get big power ups off screen, as it's always been the case.

Movie Goku doesn't even have UI and is still running after Jiren of all people, so I wouldn't make that comparison. Broly being the measure stick for Complete Cell MAX makes it sound like he was stronger.

Hugo Boss
I Live Here

Post by Hugo Boss » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:14 pm

Xeogran wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 1:17 pm
Hugo Boss wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 10:27 am
shadd21 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:02 am What's happening in 8 months?
Thankfully the pace seems to be faster, so it's probably just in 3 or 4 months we see Beast.
Wow, Goku vs. Broly next month. We might have answers a lot sooner than I anticipated.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:38 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:55 pm Movie Goku doesn't even have UI and is still running after Jiren of all people, so I wouldn't make that comparison. Broly being the measure stick for Complete Cell MAX makes it sound like he was stronger.
Citation needed.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:11 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:38 pm Citation needed.
The line about him and Vegeta having to catch up to Broly and Jiren + Goku is afraid of fighting Broly all out.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:25 pm

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:11 pm
ZombieVito wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:38 pm Citation needed.
The line about him and Vegeta having to catch up to Broly and Jiren + Goku is afraid of fighting Broly all out.
Nothing about that means he doesn't have it. Jiren and Broly are simply stronger now.

Hell, nothing in the Broly movie contradicts Broly > UI Goku.

GreatSaiyaman123

Post by GreatSaiyaman123 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:20 pm

ZombieVito wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:25 pm Nothing about that means he doesn't have it. Jiren and Broly are simply stronger now.

But outside of the manga, which Toriyama didn't even seem to have in mind, what even suggests he has it? He didn't have it in the last movie and he doesn't seem any different now. Hell he's probably as far as ever if he won't even meditate.

But yeah, come to think of it Broly is probably > UI Goku in his own movie.

Mr Baggins
Regular

Post by Mr Baggins » Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:28 pm

One thing this month's chapter has proven: Toyotaro clearly isn't trying to branch away from the movie's continuity at all. Everything is beat-for-beat the exact same as the film, right down to Piccolo's identical dialogue about the Gammas' power.

However, it is expanding on what's already there (going so far as to include cut scenes), and Goku did imply that Broly is still just learning the basics as a martial artist. So I can see his raw power being above Beerus's while still being beneath the overall fighting capability of Moro, Granolah, Beerus, etc.
Review scores for the DBS manga (and movies):

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Tue Apr 18, 2023 9:28 pm

Mr Baggins wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:28 pm One thing this month's chapter has proven: Toyotaro clearly isn't trying to branch away from the movie's continuity at all. Everything is beat-for-beat the exact same as the film, right down to Piccolo's identical dialogue about the Gammas' power.

However, it is expanding on what's already there (going so far as to include cut scenes), and Goku did imply that Broly is still just learning the basics as a martial artist. So I can see his raw power being above Beerus's while still being beneath the overall fighting capability of Moro, Granolah, Beerus, etc.
That's what I've been going off of, too.

It doesn't always need to be constant and extremely overt power escalation. We can have plenty of opponents hitting the same general range that was started by Jiren and Broly without needing to have them all be way way stronger than the last.

QuakingStar
Regular

Post by QuakingStar » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:27 pm

Broly always trains regardless, he trained on Vampa for about 40 years, then after he is sent back due to the wish I guarantee he trained some more. So 2-3 years later of course he would be even stronger than when Goku and Vegeta saw him last and we don't know what his training methods are. Jiren also trains like a madman, his training alone got him to the level he was at and Whis noted that Jiren's potential is still immeasurable, showing a remarkable growth rate as the more he struggles, the more he adapts and grows. So in the current time I would bet Jiren yet again is on an entirely different level. Jiren is basically Superman and Batman got combined and turned into a Dragon Ball character so him yet again being a wall of monstrous power would make sense considering this supposed immeasurable potential.

ZombieVito
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ZombieVito » Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:15 am

GreatSaiyaman123 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:20 pm
ZombieVito wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 7:25 pm Nothing about that means he doesn't have it. Jiren and Broly are simply stronger now.

But outside of the manga, which Toriyama didn't even seem to have in mind, what even suggests he has it? He didn't have it in the last movie and he doesn't seem any different now. Hell he's probably as far as ever if he won't even meditate.

But yeah, come to think of it Broly is probably > UI Goku in his own movie.
Toriyama did the draft for Granolah.