10 Years of Dragon Ball (Z) Kai (2009-2019)

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: 10 Years of Dragon Ball (Z) Kai (2009-2019)

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:55 am

mecha3000 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:35 am
Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:49 pm 13 year olds born in 2009 are now old enough to join the forums. Someone was giving birth somewhere while I was posting on the forums back in 2009.
I was 13 at the time (2010) and Kai was really my way back into the franchise after only getting the video games for a few years (my mom had banned me due to the inappropriate scenes from Dragon Ball and so on). When I was 13, I was a teenager and finally old enough to get back into the series. So, I watched it on Nicktoons and bought Parts 1 and 3 on DVD. Ah, good times. In a lot of ways, I consider myself from the "Kai generation" despite being a fan of Z earlier because I had missed out on Z's prime Toonami era.

And look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O1m1nQ6j8c The Nicktoons opening now has over a MILLION views!!! This proves that an entire generation (me included) really grew up with Kai and how much of an impact it had that I think many Z purist fans overlook. And unlike the Z dub purists, we never had to deal with having an inaccurate and somewhat terribly dub. So yeah, I LOVE Kai and even own it many times over on home media.
Your posts always make me smile so widely mecha, keep the good posts comin'!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:39 am

So its been a few years since this anniversary, but just wanted to say the last year has been great for Kai.

Last September Kai finally became available to stream for Latin American fans on HBO Max, and from April 27th they will be able to watch it on Crunchyroll, this is in addition to 6 new dubs, which have been released with the Polish (airing on April 24th on Polsat), Telegu, Tamil, Malayalam, Kannada dubs (these new Indian dubs hit Cartoon Network on April 16th) as well as a Hindi redub.

Here's hoping for more love for Kai in the coming years, like Ocean's dub finally landing a deal in Canada, maybe a few more dubs (Arabic Super just wrapped up, Kai remains unfinished, but I'm sure there are fans who want more, or a Castilian dub finally) so we can make its 15th anniversary next year even better.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:01 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:55 am
mecha3000 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:35 am
Hellspawn28 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:49 pm 13 year olds born in 2009 are now old enough to join the forums. Someone was giving birth somewhere while I was posting on the forums back in 2009.
I was 13 at the time (2010) and Kai was really my way back into the franchise after only getting the video games for a few years (my mom had banned me due to the inappropriate scenes from Dragon Ball and so on). When I was 13, I was a teenager and finally old enough to get back into the series. So, I watched it on Nicktoons and bought Parts 1 and 3 on DVD. Ah, good times. In a lot of ways, I consider myself from the "Kai generation" despite being a fan of Z earlier because I had missed out on Z's prime Toonami era.

And look at this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O1m1nQ6j8c The Nicktoons opening now has over a MILLION views!!! This proves that an entire generation (me included) really grew up with Kai and how much of an impact it had that I think many Z purist fans overlook. And unlike the Z dub purists, we never had to deal with having an inaccurate and somewhat terribly dub. So yeah, I LOVE Kai and even own it many times over on home media.
Your posts always make me smile so widely mecha, keep the good posts comin'!
No problem, man. I know how passionate you are when it comes to Dragon Ball airing on TV and even though streaming is the new wave, I will always cherish my memories watching Dragon Ball Z Kai on Nicktoons. And if you look at the comments of the video I linked, I'm not alone. Also, I posted on your "Why is Nicktoons Kai so remembered" post if you want to read my input.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Apr 18, 2023 11:39 am So its been a few years since this anniversary, but just wanted to say the last year has been great for Kai.

Last September Kai finally became available to stream for Latin American fans on HBO Max, and from April 27th they will be able to watch it on Crunchyroll, this is in addition to 6 new dubs, which have been released with the Polish (airing on April 24th on Polsat), Telegu, Tamil, Malayalam, Kannada dubs (these new Indian dubs hit Cartoon Network on April 16th) as well as a Hindi redub.

Here's hoping for more love for Kai in the coming years, like Ocean's dub finally landing a deal in Canada, maybe a few more dubs (Arabic Super just wrapped up, Kai remains unfinished, but I'm sure there are fans who want more, or a Castilian dub finally) so we can make its 15th anniversary next year even better.
Damn, you're right. Kai turns fifteen years old next year (which is also Dragon Ball's 40th anniversary)! Time really does fly. But yeah, I agree that it'd be nice to see Kai get more love in the coming years as it's most likely the only Dragon Ball Z redub/remake we'll get for some time. I really do hope Ocean Kai sees the light of day because now that Funi Kai has finished its entirety, Ocean Kai remains the only thing that's keeping Kai's hype alive in the English world. Which is funny, considering seven years ago, we were clamoring for Funimation to release Kai's Buu Saga and now that release is six years old!