"Dragon Ball Super" Crunchyroll Home Release Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Crunchyroll Home Release Thread

Post by Scsigs » Thu Mar 02, 2023 6:46 pm

Zekken wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:29 pm Still green tint issue, there are torrents out there with it fixed but none of them are in English dub :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Gonna have to wait for someone to mix the English dub audio into a file with the fixed version.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:30 am

So, I received my copy of Super Hero and my thoughts haven't changed. It's such a lackluster and lazy release from Crunchyroll that makes me long for the "good 'ol Funimation days" of home releases. You'd think a movie that beat Idris freakin' Elba at the box office would be worth a better release, but Crunchymation still functions like it's 2009. Seriously, just like Japan, there's no reason this movie couldn't have gotten a 4K release, especially for a movie of Super Hero's visual caliber. This movie should've been the first 4K Dragon Ball release for North America. Funimation released Akira on 4K, so why not Dragon Ball, their biggest property??? And no digital, even though Broly got digital included in its Blu-ray back in 2019, four years ago PRE-PANDEMIC DAYS. Oh, and lame special features that are just trailers and promos (and only in Japanese for some reason).

Honestly, I don't want to come across like I'm whining, but I feel like we're putting up with mediocrity. Dragon Ball Z doesn't get good home releases in the U.S and now Super's getting shitty releases. The only thing I like about Super Hero's release is the glossy slipcover, that's it. I'll just have to import the Japanese version, which comes with all kinds of goodies AND a 4K version.

Seven months waiting for THIS? Just wow.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:03 am

mecha3000 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:30 am So, I received my copy of Super Hero and my thoughts haven't changed. It's such a lackluster and lazy release from Crunchyroll that makes me long for the "good 'ol Funimation days" of home releases. You'd think a movie that beat Idris freakin' Elba at the box office would be worth a better release, but Crunchymation still functions like it's 2009. Seriously, just like Japan, there's no reason this movie couldn't have gotten a 4K release, especially for a movie of Super Hero's visual caliber. This movie should've been the first 4K Dragon Ball release for North America. Funimation released Akira on 4K, so why not Dragon Ball, their biggest property??? And no digital, even though Broly got digital included in its Blu-ray back in 2019, four years ago PRE-PANDEMIC DAYS. Oh, and lame special features that are just trailers and promos (and only in Japanese for some reason).

Honestly, I don't want to come across like I'm whining, but I feel like we're putting up with mediocrity. Dragon Ball Z doesn't get good home releases in the U.S and now Super's getting shitty releases. The only thing I like about Super Hero's release is the glossy slipcover, that's it. I'll just have to import the Japanese version, which comes with all kinds of goodies AND a 4K version.

There is a 4K release coming stateside, but it's scheduled for later this year. As it's bring described as a "specialty release" I would assume there will be added physical extras.

The UK is also getting this edition, which includes (according to a deleted Anime-On-Line listing) a poster, art cards and acrylic stand:

And a steelbook:

Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:53 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:03 am
mecha3000 wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:30 am So, I received my copy of Super Hero and my thoughts haven't changed. It's such a lackluster and lazy release from Crunchyroll that makes me long for the "good 'ol Funimation days" of home releases. You'd think a movie that beat Idris freakin' Elba at the box office would be worth a better release, but Crunchymation still functions like it's 2009. Seriously, just like Japan, there's no reason this movie couldn't have gotten a 4K release, especially for a movie of Super Hero's visual caliber. This movie should've been the first 4K Dragon Ball release for North America. Funimation released Akira on 4K, so why not Dragon Ball, their biggest property??? And no digital, even though Broly got digital included in its Blu-ray back in 2019, four years ago PRE-PANDEMIC DAYS. Oh, and lame special features that are just trailers and promos (and only in Japanese for some reason).

There is a 4K release coming stateside, but it's scheduled for later this year. As it's bring described as a "specialty release" I would assume there will be added physical extras.
The UK is also getting this edition, which includes (according to a deleted Anime-On-Line listing) a poster, art cards and acrylic stand:
And a steelbook:
Goddamn. Personally, I don't need 4K, but I'd have loved to have gotten a steelbook for the movie with some other good shit. I honestly don't know why they didn't produce at least an interview with the cast. Super Broly got a lot of cool bonus features for the US release (even if a few of them with Vic Mignogna got removed from the discs before its release due to his controversy & I think they recut 1 of the included special features to exclude him as well), & Battle of Gods & Res F got some good stuff too. Don't know why they haven't released the extended cut of Res F over here by now, but since it's mainly just redrawn footage of the beginning of the Future Trunks arc of Super, I think I can get it a bit. Still, I'd like to have it.

Also, off-topic from the Super Hero release, but anyone else here watch the dub of the second half of the Dream 9 special? How'd you enjoy it? Personally, I liked it, but it kinda suffers from not having the first half dubbed & I don't know why they didn't get that half. I hope if they're allowed to release the special on home media, they get & dub the first half to go with it. It's just incomplete without it.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:29 pm

Is there a release that hasn't got the green tint problem?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:03 pm

sangofe wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:29 pm Is there a release that hasn't got the green tint problem?
Nope, and I don't expect there to ever be. They mistakenly baked in the incorrect white point conversion during production. You can tell because the Toei splash screen isn't green while the rest of the movie is. It's likely why the authoring team believed it was correct even after Kei pointed out the issue. It's such a clusterfuck all around.

All they'd need to do to see the issue, other than simply using their eyes, would be to compare their trailers to the final movie. Even if they convince themselves that wasn't final, they could literally just compare it to their own promo material and colour design sheets.

So unbelievably frustrating and incompetent.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:05 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:53 amAlso, off-topic from the Super Hero release, but anyone else here watch the dub of the second half of the Dream 9 special? How'd you enjoy it? Personally, I liked it, but it kinda suffers from not having the first half dubbed & I don't know why they didn't get that half. I hope if they're allowed to release the special on home media, they get & dub the first half to go with it. It's just incomplete without it.
My guess? The first half of the special is a Toriko episode, which would probably be a separate license. The second half is a One Piece episode (590, which, by the way, is such a perfect number to have a DB crossover on, but that's another topic of conversation), which Toonami has the broadcast license for. I believe Jason DeMarco did mention having to bypass Crunchyroll to get OP back on the block, which probably meant talking to Toei directly. It would be kind of hilarious if that meant Toonami ended up with broadcast rights to the One Piece half of the crossover while Funimation/Crunchyroll didn't get streaming/home video, and Crunchyroll only got commissioned to dub it for TV.

Anyways, sucks about that green tint and no 4K for Super Hero. I'm not particularly happy with Crunchyroll right now due to how they treat their actors and translators (and very likely other employees though no specific examples have cropped up just yet), to the point where I don't pay for the service anymore. I'm happy with bumming a password off my dad and/or getting my anime through other means for now, so I'm not rushing out to buy the movie just yet. Maybe I'll pick up the Bluray if I happen to see it for a not too bad price and probably will get the 4K if it does eventually release, but I'll admit I'm a little wary of it being announced on some obscure page rather than a big announcement on all the socials. Unless I'm mistaken on that. Please tell me if I missed the big announcement on all the socials, haha.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:55 pm

OmegaRockman wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:05 pm My guess? The first half of the special is a Toriko episode, which would probably be a separate license. The second half is a One Piece episode (590, which, by the way, is such a perfect number to have a DB crossover on, but that's another topic of conversation), which Toonami has the broadcast license for. I believe Jason DeMarco did mention having to bypass Crunchyroll to get OP back on the block, which probably meant talking to Toei directly. It would be kind of hilarious if that meant Toonami ended up with broadcast rights to the One Piece half of the crossover while Funimation/Crunchyroll didn't get streaming/home video, and Crunchyroll only got commissioned to dub it for TV.
To me, it seems like it wouldn't be that hard since FUNi had the dubbing rights to Toriko & did the first 52 episodes or however many. Not to mention that they skipped over all of the Toriko X One Piece crossover episodes when they got to them for One Piece. My hope was they'd eventually license them separately for an individual release. It'd make sense & be fine since they don't really line up with One Piece's storylines anyways.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:43 am

Ajay wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:03 pm
sangofe wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 12:29 pm Is there a release that hasn't got the green tint problem?
Nope, and I don't expect there to ever be. They mistakenly baked in the incorrect white point conversion during production. You can tell because the Toei splash screen isn't green while the rest of the movie is. It's likely why the authoring team believed it was correct even after Kei pointed out the issue. It's such a clusterfuck all around.

All they'd need to do to see the issue, other than simply using their eyes, would be to compare their trailers to the final movie. Even if they convince themselves that wasn't final, they could literally just compare it to their own promo material and colour design sheets.

So unbelievably frustrating and incompetent.
Honestly makes me want to stray away from buying.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:20 am

I just watched Super Hero & it was really damn good. I hate that there aren't more substantive special features on the home release, though. We had a LOT of them on Broly (even some that got cut last minute due to Vic Mignogna's controversy) with cast interviews & shit, yet none for this. Even Battle of Gods & Resurrection F got some. I honestly don't understand why none here outside of the promo videos & trailers. It's disappointing. We finally get a movie that substantially does something with Gohan & Piccolo, yet we don't see the cast reflect on it? Really? What the fuck?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:41 am

Scsigs wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:20 am I just watched Super Hero & it was really damn good. I hate that there aren't more substantive special features on the home release, though. We had a LOT of them on Broly (even some that got cut last minute due to Vic Mignogna's controversy) with cast interviews & shit, yet none for this. Even Battle of Gods & Resurrection F got some. I honestly don't understand why none here outside of the promo videos & trailers. It's disappointing. We finally get a movie that substantially does something with Gohan & Piccolo, yet we don't see the cast reflect on it? Really? What the fuck?

Well, it's crunchyroll now.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:09 am

sangofe wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 5:41 am
Scsigs wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:20 am I just watched Super Hero & it was really damn good. I hate that there aren't more substantive special features on the home release, though. We had a LOT of them on Broly (even some that got cut last minute due to Vic Mignogna's controversy) with cast interviews & shit, yet none for this. Even Battle of Gods & Resurrection F got some. I honestly don't understand why none here outside of the promo videos & trailers. It's disappointing. We finally get a movie that substantially does something with Gohan & Piccolo, yet we don't see the cast reflect on it? Really? What the fuck?

Well, it's crunchyroll now.
Crunchyrolll are relatively new to home video, but they probably don't care much for it because streaming is their main product, hence not putting effort into authoring discs or adding extras.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon May 01, 2023 1:18 pm

Been meaning to say this, but hearing Eric Vale as teen Trunks & Robert McCollum as teen Goten in Super Hero's English dub was a nice surprise. They haven't done a teen/adult version of either character since the end of Z/Kai & GT, so I'm looking forward to if they do more with them in future movies or shows with them. Also, hearing a teen Gotenks in English was fun. I hope a future story does more with him than have fat Gotenks so we can hear more of him in his prime form.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:56 am

It's looking good for the UK home release of Super Hero as all the top 5 spots on the Amazon chart are filled with the various editions, and for good measure Manga UK's movie/specials collection and Broly are at #8 and #10 respectively, so looks like some fans are revisiting the old movies leading up to their rewatch of Super Hero.
  • Dragon Ball Super : Super Hero Collector's Edition - #1
  • Dragon Ball Super : Super Hero Steelbook Blu-Ray - #2
  • Dragon Ball Super : Super Hero Standard Blu-Ray - #3
  • Dragon Ball Super : Super Hero Standard DVD - #4
  • Dragon Ball Super : Super Hero Steelbook DVD - #5