Reasons you want the weekly anime back.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Reasons you want the weekly anime back.

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 07, 2023 5:54 am

You can also do what the others did and just disagree. And I didnt want it back just "because I miss the process of consuming the weekly anime" to begin with.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sun May 07, 2023 6:23 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:54 am And I didnt want it back just "because I miss the process of consuming the weekly anime" to begin with.
Then justify why it should come back with something more than "it makes my heart race to see cool stuff" cause that's all your statement amounts to, and I personally don't find that reason compelling because it comes off like what matters most is just having more Dragon Ball stuff to watch- not whether or not the material is any good or if there's even enough storytelling potential to justify bringing it back in that format.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 07, 2023 6:28 am

Cool stuff already implies I dont just want a lame and shitty anime to be shat out and me to just consume it and I shouldnt have to write an essay everytime I need to talk. You are not a mod or the topic creator so you dont get to police people like this. Not even I have that right.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Sun May 07, 2023 6:32 am

Majin Buu wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 5:19 am
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:20 pm Because watching new weekly Dragon Ball is fun. It's fun to discuss a new episode, theorise about what will happen next, look forward to certain episodes just based on the staff list, seeing reaction videos to a hype moment, watching Mexican fans go crazy in 1000+ audience screenings of an episode. I never got to experience weekly Dragon Ball when the previous anime series were on TV because I was too young back then. I finally got to experience that with Super.

I hate how stagnant the series has felt these last five years. It's difficult to get excited about anything when all we get are monthly manga chapters that now consist of a retelling and 2 movies. Also, to be completely honest, these forums have been lame as hell these last few years. I don't enjoy discussing here anywhere near as much as I used to back when Super was airing.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 11:55 pm After watching Today's episode of One Piece I REALLY REALLY REALLY want the weekly anime back. I know I know movie blah blah blah but seeing this hype and quality in a weekly anime makes my heart RACE.
I'm sorry, but both of these statements amount to "I want the weekly anime back just for the sake of having a weekly anime because I miss the process of consuming a weekly anime", and I just don't think that's a compelling reason to return this franchise to a weekly format; especially when pacing was one of Super's biggest issues.
I also enjoyed the anime, in case it wasn't obvious, and would like to see more of it.

Majin Buu
Advanced Regular

Post by Majin Buu » Sun May 07, 2023 6:45 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:28 am You are not a mod or the topic creator so you dont get to police people like this. Not even I have that right.
1. That's rich coming from the guy who tends to play backseat mod.

2. You're the one who's been tone policing my response to you just because I don't find your reasons for wanting the TV series back compelling.
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 6:32 am I also enjoyed the anime, in case it wasn't obvious, and would like to see more of it.
With your statement I was more responding to the idea that the TV series should return because the fandom is dead right now and needs to be revitalized, which I also don't think is a compelling reason to bring it back.

But according to Cure Dragon I'm not disagreeing the right way so I'll just leave.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 07, 2023 6:57 am

Ironically I did realize I am indeed policing you before seeing this post. You can think and even say whatever you want here. You are correct. You dont have to leave but I dont have to capitulate to what you want either.

I love Kunzait but this was meant to be a fun and lighthearted thread, again you can say and think whatever you want in this thread but we dont need to make an essay just to capitulate to what you want.

NeoZ Duwang
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeoZ Duwang » Sun May 07, 2023 10:32 am

I feel very lucky for being a kid (9 years old) when Battle of Gods came out. The closest I'll ever get to someone who followed either the original manga or anime run (dubbed or otherwise) is following modern Dragon Ball. The Super Manga is fun, but it's not the same without the anime and the excitment it brought to the community.

I'm currently rewatching Super, it's very nostalgic for me (I'm sure this is something incredibly funny to read for the many older members of kanzenshuu :lol: ), seeing new ideas from Toriyama coming to life on the screen along with the contributions of the staff at Toei. It felt rewarding seeing Goku's white hair in Ultra Instinct knowing about a previous comment by Toriyama where whe stated that SSJ Blue could've had white hair originally (https://www.kanzenshuu.com/translations ... b-version/)

I admit I was very critical of the anime when it was still going on, complaining about every single detailed extensively, but I still enjoyed the experience. A lot has changed since then, I looked in the mirror and what I saw was a tsundere boy that was in denial about enjoying modern Dragon Ball, years later and I'm a girl that gets unapologetically excited with stuff like the last chapter of the Granola Arc where
There are many things I still dislike in modern Dragon Ball, but I'm willing to put up with them and enjoy the fun and silly cartoon that is probably one of the most memorable works of fiction for me
she/they.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:29 pm

Man, I love this post, its awesome.

YamiGoku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by YamiGoku » Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:22 pm

I want the anime back because I love Dragon Ball and I want to have the experience of watching the anime again, it was fun having new DB every week to discuss, and I loved rewatching the hype moments when they were fresh, also the anime not just brings more DB to watch, it also gives the games more content, it gave us the music from the openings and endings, it makes that the youtubers can make more content like reviews, parodies, etc, and overall it makes the community more active and it helps it grow.

some dont want the anime back just because Super schuele was bad and it turned into a lot of bad animation episodes, BUT, why has to be the same again? they had years to prepare, Dragon ball is not just another anime, it was the biggest money maker they had when the anime was on, I'm not a genius or anything but if they want money they could just idk, give it a decent treatment? you know some good animators, a good schuele, some want the same as the One Piece wano arc, but, even if its just half as good I think it will be enough to please most fans, just put max effort on the key battles.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:39 am

Being able to discuss the newest episodes on a weekly basis while they were fresh was definitely nice, and something I never got to experience as the series was over in Japan three years by the time Dragon Ball Z finally premiered in Ireland. Of course I was completely oblivious to the time until discovering websites like www.myfavouritegames.com later and realizing how damn old the show really is.

I also miss having new Blu-Rays to collect, so that will be fun once they come around again.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:39 pm

Over on GameFAQs, which I also frequent, I asked why hasn't the Anime continued. I was told that the ratings were fine, and they were supposed to return to it after the previous movie, but due to COVID, those plans were put on hold.

Jesus Christ, is there ANYTHING the pandemic DIDN'T ruin?

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:34 am

DB1984 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:39 pm Over on GameFAQs, which I also frequent, I asked why hasn't the Anime continued. I was told that the ratings were fine, and they were supposed to return to it after the previous movie, but due to COVID, those plans were put on hold.

Jesus Christ, is there ANYTHING the pandemic DIDN'T ruin?
Not sure why people on GameFAQs would know something like that. I don’t think there have been any official statements on why the anime hasn’t come back after five years.

Skar
I Live Here

Post by Skar » Sat Jul 01, 2023 3:07 am

Tbh blaming the pandemic sounded more like an excuse to cover their predictions being wrong. There were several movies and shows delayed due to pandemic and have released since then including other series from Toei. The ones that are still delayed have at least official confirmation that they exist.

funrush

Post by funrush » Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:52 am

I would like Super to come back as a show instead of movies, but not necessarily weekly. I think my enjoyment of Super was hindered greatly by its mediocre animation quality and instead of being a show that airs every single week nonstop, I'd rather it become seasonal.

Like do a 13 episode Moro season and then stop for a year or so and then do Granolah, etc. That way the animators will have ample time to make the show actually look good.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:21 am

That's still weekly, the right term is seasonal. But still, great idea and it would be the best of both worlds. Hype week by week and then some rest for the animators and time to make the anmation good. AND it could even leave cliffhangers so there's hype and mystery for months.

funrush

Post by funrush » Mon Jul 17, 2023 4:32 am

Ah okay I misunderstood, I usually consider "weekly anime" as a term to describe the type of show that airs EVERY week like DBZ, One Piece, Boruto, etc.

I would like it to be seasonal but air once a week, yes.

super michael
Advanced Regular

Post by super michael » Mon Jul 17, 2023 10:36 am

The only reason I want the anime to return, is so the manga characters and forms are in the game. Right now manga forms and characters are not allowed to be in Dragon Ball games.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jul 25, 2023 2:02 am

I think I figured out when will Dragon Ball Super Return...

...When One Piece ends.

nineko
Beyond Newbie

Post by nineko » Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:07 am

I have nothing against One Piece, but it's dragging on for way too long, at least for my taste. Reading all the Wano chapters in the manga felt like a chore to me, and the current arc isn't much more interesting. However, this isn't the place to talk about that, but I definitely hope that we won't have to wait that long for the anime to resume.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:35 am

funrush wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2023 3:52 am Like do a 13 episode Moro season and then stop for a year or so and then do Granolah, etc. That way the animators will have ample time to make the show actually look good.
The manga's Moro/Granolah arcs are finished. Toei is powerful enough not to require a year break between two done arcs, as they adapted the entire DQ Dai manga straight off the bat recently.

And especially since what comes next is Super Hero retelling anyway, imagine having a year break just to get a retelling of what would be a 3-5 year old movie by then.