Anti dub and anti sub hate reached its APEX. People hate TRANSLATED media now!

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Anti dub and anti sub hate reached its APEX. People hate TRANSLATED media now!

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 07, 2023 6:34 am

I saw in Facebook a guy bash translations. No, not dubs or even subs. TRANSLATIONS. God the elitism was strong on that one. If people were looked down for just consuming TRANSLATED MEDIA then that is elitism taken way too fucking far!

EDIT: Oh and just so it's clear no they didnt just mean BAD Translations.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

PurestEvil
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Anti dub and anti sub hate reached its APEX. People hate TRANSLATED media now!

Post by PurestEvil » Sun May 07, 2023 8:31 am

Hmmmm yes. People should pass a language fluency exam in order to consume media written in the respective language, and media should never be promoted in foreign countries to allow the audience to have a better understanding of other people's culture or customs...
:yawn:
This post was brought to you by 魔族

Rest in Peace, Toriyama-san

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Anti dub and anti sub hate reached its APEX. People hate TRANSLATED media now!

Post by JulieYBM » Sun May 07, 2023 8:58 am

I'll try to pencil in improving my Japanese between the trillion Pride events I'm volunteering at this summer and my crippling reproductive dysphoria. This way I, too, can be a real gaymer girl.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 07, 2023 8:59 am

In a gaymer world. lol.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun May 07, 2023 11:13 am

One guy on Facebook makes some bizarre tirade against translations and your takeaway is PEOPLE hate translated media now and not this one person being a weirdo?

Sounds like an overreaction to me, either that or you're practicing to write headlines for one of those clickbait sites like Screenrant

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 07, 2023 11:17 am

Yeah. But there were people agreeing with him. But you are still correct this is just that one person. I should chill. Even if I do fear this sentiment becoming more common and accepted.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sun May 07, 2023 11:42 am

Personally, anecdotally, I haven't seen this type of extreme behavior against translated media. Though, conversely, if you want a haven of cult-like dub adoration, look no further than YouTube. Even suggesting using late 90's American nu metal for an early 90's Japanese cartoon as being anachronistic and an abortion to the original vision gets you flamed to hell and called a weeb (because arguing about your preferred version of an anime is total non-weeb behavior).

I think it's totally fair for the opposite end of the extreme to exist, even if most of us don't agree with it.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun May 07, 2023 12:13 pm

Ah but that's not translation that's just outright modifying the work beyond just translating it. Also neither extreme is good and neither should be enabled.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun May 07, 2023 12:27 pm

This is an incredibly bizarre reactionary thread that basically just amounts to “a guy at some other place said a thing.”

There’s clearly no real conversation to be had here.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::