Does Toriyama regret the racist caricatures he included

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MuscleRobo
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Does Toriyama regret the racist caricatures he included

Post by MuscleRobo » Wed May 10, 2023 5:20 pm

Modifications might have actually been done because of his publisher. An international example that comes to mind is a scene in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure with animal cruelty being redrawn for the American release. An example of a time in Japan would be the author of Battle Angel Alita being told his publisher wouldn't do a reprint of his original series because of a now culturally insensitive term for "Crazy" being used in them. It feels like most of the truly offensive terms in Japanese that I've heard be censored have to do with disabilities; there's a Tokona-X song where he uses a term for a deaf person that was censored on the CD, the music video and even in uploads of live performances on YouTube.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Fri May 12, 2023 2:25 pm

This is anime. The entire concept of anime's art style are the character's exaggerated features.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Fri May 12, 2023 9:06 pm

Toriyama (and mangaka in general) seems to be a pretty private person, so even if he does regret it, I doubt he’ll ever openly talk about it in an interview. At the very least, Pan’s teacher can perhaps be seen as progress. She’s the first black character in Dragon Ball I can think of who doesn’t have enormous lips.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat May 13, 2023 1:37 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:06 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:46 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:35 pm.

It is interesting Monika Antonelli states that they're against censorship, while the Manga itself (depending on the version *also unsure of the date of this editorial response*) is censored. I don't hold her or really any librarian against that as I feel most people don't realize the manga has never been fully published uncensored here (and probly wont be).
Banning books because of content is quite a different beast than a publisher making the decision to edit the material.

I don't think too many people were against later editions of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory removing references to the Oompa Loomps being African pygmies for example.
Neither was Roald Dahl [1]. Neither was Toriyama when he agreed to remove racist depictions of africans in one of his gag mangas [2] (so him agreeing to censor Dragon Ball wouldnt seem that off). In context of the OP, the first article is about an author who was not willing to censor.

That said, Dragon Ball as a manga has dealt with both Censorship and bannings*.

1 - Storyteller The Authorized Biography of Roald Dahl by Donald Sturrock:
2 - Dreamland Japan by Frederik L. Schodt:

*When I mean banned, I mean on small scale (selective library, schools, stores etc.), not at all what we're seeing in states like Florida.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:42 pm I think Monika didnt know the manga was censored since she was responding to criticisms of the anime.
Fair point!
This is the post I mentioned before. Since the poster didnt come to the thread I am sharing their post with everyone.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat May 13, 2023 1:37 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 4:06 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:46 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:35 pm.

It is interesting Monika Antonelli states that they're against censorship, while the Manga itself (depending on the version *also unsure of the date of this editorial response*) is censored. I don't hold her or really any librarian against that as I feel most people don't realize the manga has never been fully published uncensored here (and probly wont be).
Banning books because of content is quite a different beast than a publisher making the decision to edit the material.

I don't think too many people were against later editions of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory removing references to the Oompa Loomps being African pygmies for example.
Neither was Roald Dahl [1]. Neither was Toriyama when he agreed to remove racist depictions of africans in one of his gag mangas [2] (so him agreeing to censor Dragon Ball wouldnt seem that off). In context of the OP, the first article is about an author who was not willing to censor.

That said, Dragon Ball as a manga has dealt with both Censorship and bannings*.

1 - Storyteller The Authorized Biography of Roald Dahl by Donald Sturrock:
2 - Dreamland Japan by Frederik L. Schodt:

*When I mean banned, I mean on small scale (selective library, schools, stores etc.), not at all what we're seeing in states like Florida.
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:42 pm I think Monika didnt know the manga was censored since she was responding to criticisms of the anime.
Fair point!
This is the post I mentioned before. Since the poster didnt come to the thread I am sharing their post with everyone.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol: