After 16 Years...Orange Bricks Going OOP

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

After 16 Years...Orange Bricks Going OOP

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri May 12, 2023 3:03 pm

Yes, you read that correctly. It seems that after just over 16 years (Wow, seriously it came out that long ago) since the controversial lightning rod of a DBZ release known as the "Orange Bricks" first hit store shelves, and apparently all nine of the FUNImation branded versions of the releases seem to be in the process of being phased out. It looks to me as though Crunchyroll has decided at long last to finally end their circulation as an in print release, as they appear to be liquidating whatever stock they still have through retailers as Rightstuf is listing them in what appears to be a "Last Chance" clearance sale. Hell, i already had an inkling something was up when they stopped appearing at most stores (Wal-Mart, Target.etc) in the anime movie sections quite some time ago. Why is this significant you ask? Because this release under FUNI's umbrella, infamous and poor quality though it undeniably was lasted longer in print than i've seen for anime releases. The Season 1 set came out all the way back in February 2007, and we already passed the 16 year mark three months back. It also marks the first time that any release of DBZ in a good long while DVD or otherwise (I guess since the domestic Dragon Boxes) will truly be out of print.

Honestly, this was probably longer overdue than i would've imagined because i'm surprised that FUNimation didn't take them out of print/circulation sooner like as in sometime in the last few years and not after the change over and rebrand to CR. Especially given how many releases and re releases have since subsequently superseded it especially with all the multiple Blu-ray editions out there. Who knows if they're going to do like what they did with GT a few months and repackage them, or at the very least update the masters for a later re release to one of the newer ones in down scaled form since the Orange Brick footage (at least for the first few sets) as a large chunk of fans know is absolute utter garbage and the faux widescreen presentation is a hack job bastardization. I think it's about time they relegate those masters done back in 2006 to the dust bin of history, because really they're so obviously obsolete.

All i can say is, goodbye Orange Bricks...and good riddance.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.ph ... 0&page=546

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Dragon-B ... 51k7_f90o6
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun May 14, 2023 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: After 16 Years...Orange Bricks Going OOP

Post by VegettoEX » Fri May 12, 2023 3:10 pm

I have to imagine this is just a continuation of the clearing of stock and re-issuing under new Crunchyroll SKUs. As you alluded to, we had a similar thing happen with the Dragon Ball GT "Complete Series" DVD box set this last year.

Nothing to be excited about (or frightened by).
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri May 12, 2023 3:16 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:10 pm I have to imagine this is just a continuation of the clearing of stock and re-issuing under new Crunchyroll SKUs. As you alluded to, we had a similar thing happen with the Dragon Ball GT "Complete Series" DVD box set this last year.

I mean, that could be so. I guess we'll just have to see what happens, though it does surprise me that they haven't yet done the same with the DB sets but i'm even more surprisesd that they did GT first before Z with the repackaging.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri May 12, 2023 3:28 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 3:10 pm I have to imagine this is just a continuation of the clearing of stock and re-issuing under new Crunchyroll SKUs. As you alluded to, we had a similar thing happen with the Dragon Ball GT "Complete Series" DVD box set this last year.

Also, when they do come to the point of eventually getting to re releasing OG DB i wonder if it's going to be the same discs used since 2009/2010 repackaged in new packaging with FUNi's logo replaced with CR's. The GT set did it, so i assume it could be the case here too.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri May 12, 2023 5:24 pm

The UK editions are also showing low stock on Amazon.

That could be another sign, or it could not mean what we think. Kai went out of print a while ago when the Z Blu-Rays were being released, but then it started being listed again. The same could happen again with the Z DVDs.

If I had to guess, Crunchyroll repackaging the Z seasons with their own logos etc seems likely. I imagine as long as there is a DVD market Crunchyroll will continue to put out some variant of the orange bricks. I wouldn't expect any changes though, it will probably be the same discs but slightly reauthored so you see Crunchyroll's name before the main menu instead of Funimation because its the cheap and easy route.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri May 12, 2023 5:27 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:24 pm The UK editions are also showing low stock on Amazon.

That could be another sign, or it could not mean what we think. Kai went out of print a while ago when the Z Blu-Rays were being released, but then it started being listed again. The same could happen again with the Z DVDs.

If I had to guess, Crunchyroll repackaging the Z seasons with their own logos etc seems likely. I imagine as long as there is a DVD market Crunchyroll will continue to put out some variant of the orange bricks. I wouldn't expect any changes though, it will probably be the same discs but slightly reauthored so you see Crunchyroll's name before the main menu instead of Funimation because its the cheap and easy route.
And i could imagine when they get to the point of reissuing OG Dragon Ball, them going the route they did with GT and using the same discs released back in 2009/2010 for the Blue Bricks only with CR branding replacing FUNi's. Thus having the same menus and footage otherwise.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sat May 13, 2023 9:18 pm

Good riddance.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat May 13, 2023 9:53 pm

Hopefully when they do this they don't think they can get away with doubling the prices for the Orange Bricks of all things.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun May 14, 2023 12:23 pm

with all these re-releases, would be interesting if we actually got a Dragon Box re-release.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun May 14, 2023 3:19 pm

Well, this at least confirms the FUNi branded versions with the circa 2007 "brick" digipack casing will seemingly no longer be available as in print. Of course CR could repackage at some point like what happened with GT not too long ago, or even re author the discs with updated masters. Guess we'll just have to see when that comes to pass.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Tue May 16, 2023 3:05 pm

It's most likely just going to be reprinted again with Crunchyroll branding, just like the Dragonball GT: The Complete Series Green Brick DVD set was back in the Winter.
That same Blu-ray.com Forum Thread also says that the Dragonball Z Blu-rays from 2013/14 are being discontinued and reprinted with Crunchyroll branding too. And they're gonna be the exact same ones as 2013/14. This would have been a perfect excuse for Crunchryoll to finally kill off 16:9 Dragonball Z and use the 2019 30th Anniversary discs instead for the reprint, but I guess not.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:18 am

Had a look on the Amazon chart with Super Hero being released this week. Turns out the Manga UK orange bricks are still outselling the Blu-Rays, which are in 4:3 no less by quite a significant margin. Season 5 in particular nearly cracked the top 10, and would have if Crunchyroll put out one less edition of Super Hero. Most of the UK orange bricks aren't showing low stock, so I imagine they will be kept in print for some time or rereleased with Crunchyroll SKUs.

The current chart for all Dragon Ball Z seasons is as follows:
  • Dragon Ball Z Season 5 DVD - #11
  • Dragon Ball Z Season 2 DVD - #24
  • Dragon Ball Z Season 8 DVD - #26
  • Dragon Ball Z Season 4 DVD - #31
  • Dragon Ball Z Season 7 DVD - #62
  • Dragon Ball Z Season 5 Blu-Ray - #64
  • Dragon Ball Z Season 4 Blu-Ray - #80
  • Dragon Ball Z Season 6 Blu-Ray - #90
Kai Seasons 4 and 3 also coming in at #51 and #60 respectively no doubt the Cell factor has helped sales, its also the DVD version, not the Blu-Ray, I guess when it comes to the former format you can never underestimate the pull of a cheaper product even if its barebones and cropped to hell like Z.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:19 pm

I can see this happening. I can't imagine who's left for them to be able to sell 16-year-old DVDs to. I would imagine that anyone who ever wanted these things got them by now. This is a good opportunity to sell Blu-rays exclusively.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:56 pm

HEY! People still use DVD Players and so on! In fact NOT EVERYONE has a Blu Ray player. This would be PRIME TIME to do the Dragon Boxes again!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:14 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:56 pm HEY! People still use DVD Players and so on! In fact NOT EVERYONE has a Blu Ray player. This would be PRIME TIME to do the Dragon Boxes again!
Yeah, but... whoever would've bought the orange bricks would've bought them by now. As for the Dragon Boxes, I pretty much default to the idea that they'd never do anything that the fans want ever again, so I'm guessing no Dragon Boxes. An upscaled Dragon Box on Blu-ray would be cool, but that would clash with their whole 30th anniversary set scheme.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:24 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:14 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:56 pm HEY! People still use DVD Players and so on! In fact NOT EVERYONE has a Blu Ray player. This would be PRIME TIME to do the Dragon Boxes again!
Yeah, but... whoever would've bought the orange bricks would've bought them by now. As for the Dragon Boxes, I pretty much default to the idea that they'd never do anything that the fans want ever again, so I'm guessing no Dragon Boxes. An upscaled Dragon Box on Blu-ray would be cool, but that would clash with their whole 30th anniversary set scheme.
Not necessarily, I only recently bought the Blue Bricks like 2 years ago despite those being out since 2011. The Orange Bricks wouldn't have been in print for as long as they were if they weren't still selling as late as the 2020s.

I agree with Cure Dragon it would be better to just re-release the Dragon Boxes, mostly because I'm tired of seeing people trying to sell them for $500 a pop. But we know that's not going to happen

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:24 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:24 pm
Not necessarily, I only recently bought the Blue Bricks like 2 years ago despite those being out since 2011. The Orange Bricks wouldn't have been in print for as long as they were if they weren't still selling as late as the 2020s.

I agree with Cure Dragon it would be better to just re-release the Dragon Boxes, mostly because I'm tired of seeing people trying to sell them for $500 a pop. But we know that's not going to happen
I don't disagree with you, but I'm just not holding out on it. This company is either totally out-of-touch with what its fan base wants or why it wants it, or they're just not interested. They threw up the Dragon Boxes on their streaming service at least.