Dragon Ball Video Game Sales Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Zach

Re: Dragon Ball Video Game Sales Discussion Thread

Post by Super Saiyan Zach » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:27 pm

https://tech4gamers.com/dragon-ball-z-k ... on-copies/

Announced recently that Kakarot has sold over 6 million copies! (For reference, as noted in the above article the game was at 5 million back in September 2022 so it moved over 1 million in about a half a year!) I could honestly see this game reaching 10 million units sold in its lifetime, especially with the continued DLC support. FighterZ & XV2 are probably over 9 million at this point but I imagine that neither has hit 10 million otherwise it probably would've been stated by now. I believe we got 8 million for both around November 2021.

DBZ sales have simply exploded since XV1 released back in 2015. BT4 has the potentially to easily be the best selling DBZ game of all time. While XV2, FighterZ & Kakarot can reach 10 million (and possibly 12 million for XV2 & FighterZ), I could see BT4 going up to 15 million or even 20 million! Really crazy to think about, but there is a lot of hype for BT4. Just have to hope that the base game is good and that it gets a long time of DLC support.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu May 11, 2023 11:32 am

Time for an update with both Xenoverse 2 and FighterZ breaking the 10 million barrier!

Kakarot also moves to 3rd. I don't think it will reach the other two, but anything is possible.

Current ranking is:
1st: Xenoverse 2/FighterZ - 10 million
3rd: Kakarot - 6 million
4th: Xenoverse - 5 million
5th: Budokai - 3.5 million

I expect the announced new Budokai Tenkaichi to break into this top 5 easily, maybe even grab first place if they do everything right.

Kazuya Mishima
Banned

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Tue May 16, 2023 2:27 pm

I'm not sure if Tenkaichi 4 will be as successful.

Xenoverse 2 being custom character heavy and having support for now 7 years, an unnaturally long time and FighterZ being a competitive fighter that featured heavily at tournaments giving it a prolonged presence is what has helped those games to continue selling.

Tenkaichi 4 is unlikely to have either of those.

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Wed May 17, 2023 11:55 am

Kazuya Mishima wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:27 pm I'm not sure if Tenkaichi 4 will be as successful.

Xenoverse 2 being custom character heavy and having support for now 7 years, an unnaturally long time and FighterZ being a competitive fighter that featured heavily at tournaments giving it a prolonged presence is what has helped those games to continue selling.

Tenkaichi 4 is unlikely to have either of those.
I see no reason why Tenkaichi 4 won't be supported as much as XV2. The appeal of the game is to play as everyone, meaning they can just add all the nameless monks that appeared in Dragon Ball for years and years. There's more than enough material.

Since Covid, the FighterZ scene imploded being carried by the EU scene, mostly the French crew. The participants and viewers are a fraction of the first year.

Personally there's two main reasons for these numbers and the recent success of Dragon Ball games. One releasing in various platforms, second deep discounts in the later life of the games. These games go for less than 10 euros on PC regularly on sales.

Tenkaichi has a different factor from the other games, nostalgia. I expect at a minimum to dethrone Budokai and Xenoverse. If everything is done right it has potential for much more.

Kazuya Mishima
Banned

Post by Kazuya Mishima » Wed May 17, 2023 3:44 pm

It's not the amount of characters they could add because obviously there's a lot, it's just for a game like Xenoverse to have received support for 7 years plus is almost unheard of for the type of game it is.

That the game is so heavy on the online and players can customise their own character with clothing and moves that are continually added gives the game replay value that other Dragon Ball games haven't had.

The two things together and the fact there never was a sequel has kept that game going strong for a very long time.

FighterZ was the first Dragon Ball game to really have high critical acclaim. Between it featuring heavily at major tournaments for years along with the DLC that is what has kept that game going strong for years.

Tenkaichi 4 if it is anything like the other games will not be a competitive fighter and so will not have that kind of publicity.

It's selling point may just be the number of characters it has and the nostalgia will make the game sell but it is unlikely to keep it going and make fans want to keep going back.

I expect it could have the highest week 1 sales but whether it keeps drawing success years afterwards who can say especially if that one actually does get a sequel.