The real reason why Broly hates Goku answered by Takao Koyama

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Re: The real reason why Broly hates Goku answered by Takao Koyama

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri May 12, 2023 4:28 pm

I'm pretty sure the whole sentiment being offered here is "it's a stupid, nonsensical plot point, and that's fine". It's not central to enjoyment of the movie. Movie 8 is one of the most face-punching-centric stories in the entire DB universe and Broly barely even talks, the fact that no one cares about the plot inconsistency means it doesn't need to be defended/rectified.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Ashur
Beyond Newbie

Re: The real reason why Broly hates Goku answered by Takao Koyama

Post by Ashur » Wed May 17, 2023 4:10 pm

Yes i realized the true depth of Broly's resentment of Kakarot last year when all the DBZ movies were being aired on TV for a special, when you look at that scene with the two babies and the dialogue from the doctors, it seems apparent that Broly's hatred is more like an instinctual resentment towards Goku having "more guts" than him, having a stronger character, being louder, in spite of Broly being much more powerful, i think it is quite brilliant that Broly has this specific hatred for Goku because of his character because it's what we see in their final fight:

Broly is stronger, he keeps on smashing Goku again and again, but Goku keeps getting up, until he finally defeats him channeling the power of others, in a way, Goku's strong personality (in that he never gives up and is friendly to others) is what beat Broly, who had nothing but power.

It makes the shots where Goku is slowly walking towards Broly in spite of knowing he is weaker much more powerful, ever since they were babies until the end he was always standing up to Broly's power without fear.